Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Yet another stuck oil filter housing thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM
youloze
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another stuck oil filter housing thread

Thanks Mini! I've now broken a 3/8" breaker bar, (3) 3/8" ratchets (with a pipe over them as a cheater bar), and (2) 1/2" to 3/8" adapters. I've tried soaking the groove with PB Blaster, I've tried when the car is cold and when it's hot. I've tried from up top and through the fender well. This is f'ing ridiculous.

I read about a guy that took his whole filter housing off of the engine (3 bolts), put it in a vise and hit it with an impact gut to get his off. I've also read about warming the car up and using CRC Freeze Off to get the filter housing cold and loosen it up as well as another guy using a MAPP torch.

I haven't tried any of those three methods yet but does anyone have any ideas as to what would work best? I've pulled engines in less time than it's taken me to NOT change the oil in the Mini.

This is not a good start to my relationship with Mini. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:57 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I always use a 1/2" breaker bar mated to a 1/2" drive 36mm 6 point socket to break it loose.
Better chance of it breaking loose before the tools break compared to 3/8" drive stuff.
A few whacks to the bar near the socket with a deadblow hammer (in the correct direction) might help.
Running the engine a few minutes might help, but the housing tends to warm up almost as fast as the engine does.
A cooling blast might help at this point, too.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 PM
youloze
3rd Gear
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing about using a 1/2" drive so I ordered on off of Amazon. I was using the 3/8" drive because that's all I could find locally. If it breaks the 1/2" breaker bar I'll definitely have a problem lol. I'll use the freeze stuff too just as an extra bonus. Hopefully it works out. I guess worst case I just take the whole assembly off and either try to break it open that way or buy a new one. What a PITA.

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are too using the BMW specific tool to get this off? I would be concerned that maybe your housing has been Galled or cross threaded. It would be hard to see what the cause is with it on the car.

While I would agree they tend to get on there pretty tight I didn't have a problem using a breaker bar to get mine off.

While you might not want to spend the $$ even a mini dealer oil change is only about $70...not that much more than a full synthetic oil change at home

Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Try to tighten it first. Sometimes that will break it loose. Sounds strange, but works!

Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 PM
youloze
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
Are too using the BMW specific tool to get this off? I would be concerned that maybe your housing has been Galled or cross threaded. It would be hard to see what the cause is with it on the car.

While I would agree they tend to get on there pretty tight I didn't have a problem using a breaker bar to get mine off.

While you might not want to spend the $$ even a mini dealer oil change is only about $70...not that much more than a full synthetic oil change at home
I am using a 3/8" drive shallow 36mm socket. Just ordered a 1/2" drive and will try that. I doubt that it's cross threaded though as if it was I'd think it wouldn't seal properly and would leak oil but I won't rule it out at this point.

Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
Try to tighten it first. Sometimes that will break it loose. Sounds strange, but works!
I've thought about trying this as it was worked on other things in the past. If I can't get it with the 1/2" drive I'll give it a shot.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Tinythumb
2nd Gear
I recently am doing engine rebuild on my 03 R50.(Cylinder head, piston rings, hoses and everything else) I had a stuck and frozen oil filter housing and know if u even tried taking it while connected to motor it will cause damage since u can't apply the proper force.

I took my whole housing out and used a vise to held it and loosen it without a problem. The cause of the filter cap being stuck was the oil ring wasn't oiled before cap was put back onto housing, and seized it.

If you take housing off from the three bolts. Get a new gasket and you will be set. I pulled mine off completely I saved $250 because I can reuse the old part.

Hoped this helped. If you need more info let me know.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM
youloze
3rd Gear
Ugh, that's what I hope I dont have to do. I guess I'll order the gasket just in case.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Tinythumb
2nd Gear
I think its worth to take it off so you don't damage the three bolt threads and not cause oil leaks from the block. The three bolts are easy to take off so better be safe then sorry. New gasket replacement is worth it too.

I almost got my whole engine together. Just waiting on a few parts in mail. Like this gasket lol

Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 AM
youloze
3rd Gear
Good call.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Tinythumb
2nd Gear
Hehe thanks. Mine was a pain like yours and I broke a few tools cuss it was torque too much and stuck too. Doing it this way helped me in my condition.

Good luck with your repairs and please keep us updated

Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Naww...you should be able to get it off in place!!
Like said above...a bit of pressure to TIGHTEN, then try to take it off...helps to get it moving!
Having the RIGHT socket helps!
http://www.waymotorworks.com/36mm-oi...er-socket.html
3/8 or 1/2 is more ratchet depandant....a quality tool of EITHER size should be able to apply suffivent TQ without breaking.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Tinythumb
2nd Gear
Quick pic of Cylinders back into block. Easy access to oil filter housing . Or side from right wheel.

Yet another stuck oil filter housing thread-forumrunner_20130506_104742.jpg

Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 AM
youloze
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Naww...you should be able to get it off in place!!
Like said above...a bit of pressure to TIGHTEN, then try to take it off...helps to get it moving!
Having the RIGHT socket helps!
3/8 or 1/2 is more ratchet depandant....a quality tool of EITHER size should be able to apply suffivent TQ without breaking.
That is the socket I have but it's only 3/8" drive so I'm breaking everything, including a 3/8" drive breaker bar. I just ordered a 36mm 1/2" drive standard (not deep) socket. When it gets here I'll try with a 1/2" breaker bar. If it doesn't work I'll take the whole housing off and hit it with some good old fashioned air tools.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 AM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zippynh
naww...you should be able to get it off in place!!
Like said above...a bit of pressure to tighten, then try to take it off...helps to get it moving!
Having the right socket helps!
3/8 or 1/2 is more ratchet depandant....a quality tool of either size should be able to apply suffivent tq without breaking.

^^^^+1.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Did u try to tighten / loosen method back and forth a couple times, not just once. Kind of like rocking it. Sometimes this method also works with large bolts so you don't shear them off.

Someone really put the cap on tight when they installed it last. When you do get it off post pics so we can see what it look like.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-06-2013, 11:09 AM
youloze
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Did u try to tighten / loosen method back and forth a couple times, not just once. Kind of like rocking it. Sometimes this method also works with large bolts so you don't shear them off.

Someone really put the cap on tight when they installed it last. When you do get it off post pics so we can see what it look like.
Im going to try that once I receive the 1/2" socket. I'm tired of breaking 3/8" stuff lol. I'll certainly give it a shot though, maybe with a couple hits of CRC Freeze Off too.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 PM
youloze
3rd Gear
Quick update. The 1/2" breaker bar coupled with the 1/2" drive 36mm socket did the trick. After I had that loose I totally expected the drain plug to give me fits (based on what I have read) but it came right out.

Anyway, thanks for all of the replies and help. I lubed up the threads with some oil and I change my cars oil at 4k mile intervals so I dont anticipate having any more problems.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Great news. Glad you got things fixed.

Adding a little clean oil to the outside of the new gasket helps it slide up against the inside of the oil housing base.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/11427512446/ES24009/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-16-2013, 05:43 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
This is what I use to take mine off.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you got this fixed.

I have a mechanic friend that was helping me do some work on my car, and when he noticed how the oil filter is, he said that he would never buy a mini. He liked everything else, but hates these types.

After a few oil changes, I agree with him. But I still love my mini...

Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 AM
youloze
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Great news. Glad you got things fixed.

Adding a little clean oil to the outside of the new gasket helps it slide up against the inside of the oil housing base.
Thanks, I did add some fresh oil to the gasket as well. I made sure to take every precaution against having to fight that thing again.

Originally Posted by Braminator
This is what I use to take mine off.
That is exactly what I used, minus the shoes ;-)

Originally Posted by Spraypaint
Glad you got this fixed.

I have a mechanic friend that was helping me do some work on my car, and when he noticed how the oil filter is, he said that he would never buy a mini. He liked everything else, but hates these types.

After a few oil changes, I agree with him. But I still love my mini...
I have to say I'm not a big fan of the setup either but it is a clean job once you get the filter housing off. My A4 has the same housing setup but it's on the bottom of the engine and you use a special tool to drain the housing before you take it off. It's a really clean change too but a PITA if you don't have the tool.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those German engineers are sometimes too clever for their own good...

Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM
youloze
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Spraypaint
Those German engineers are sometimes too clever for their own good...
Haha, yeah. For the most part I love German engineering but sometimes it leaves me scratching my head. But for all the good you get from it I can handle the occasional quirk.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
That is exactly what I used, minus the shoes ;-)
I need the shoes to keep my feet planted on the ground when trying to get leverage. LOL

Quick Reply: Yet another stuck oil filter housing thread