Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Yet another stuck oil filter housing thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
yea or a very long breaker bar and over-torqued it at a quick lube . Try rocking the lid ( rocking method of loosening a stuck bolt ), tighten a hair , then loosen a hair and be careful. Till it screws off. " Righty tighty lefty loosey " yep.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-17-2014, 01:43 PM
fthefireman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to put oil on the rubber o ring before re installing, done it on all my cars and trucks never had problem taking off.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:23 AM
clicker666
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
yea or a very long breaker bar and over-torqued it at a quick lube . Try rocking the lid ( rocking method of loosening a stuck bolt ), tighten a hair , then loosen a hair and be careful. Till it screws off. " Righty tighty lefty loosey " yep.
I ended up picking up a 3/4" 22" breaker bar, and trimming down a short 36 mm socket to fit on it. (too long, had a metal shop take a chop saw to it).

It still didn't want to break free. I grabbed a mallet and gave it a light whack, and she broke free. I still ended up not changing my oil as my topside drill pump couldn't pull enough oil out. Seemed like I only got a little over a liter out, repositioned the hose, still couldn't get more. Even had the car pointed nose down on an incline. *sigh* Anyhow, long story short, I'll take it to a garage and get it changed there. (driveway is too steep for jacking the car up, and even on the street it's too much of an angle to risk putting myself under the car).

Old 11-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by clicker666
I ended up picking up a 3/4" 22" breaker bar, and trimming down a short 36 mm socket to fit on it. (too long, had a metal shop take a chop saw to it).

It still didn't want to break free. I grabbed a mallet and gave it a light whack, and she broke free. I still ended up not changing my oil as my topside drill pump couldn't pull enough oil out. Seemed like I only got a little over a liter out, repositioned the hose, still couldn't get more. Even had the car pointed nose down on an incline. *sigh* Anyhow, long story short, I'll take it to a garage and get it changed there. (driveway is too steep for jacking the car up, and even on the street it's too much of an angle to risk putting myself under the car).
That's why I love my Fumoto valve. I get the front wheels on the garage floor (with the rest of the car outside on a small incline) and I can put my oil drain pan under, open the valve and wait.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:23 AM
clicker666
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Da_Ghost
That's why I love my Fumoto valve. I get the front wheels on the garage floor (with the rest of the car outside on a small incline) and I can put my oil drain pan under, open the valve and wait.
I have one on order. I won't mind getting the car up and putting some wood under it for extra safety for the moment it takes to connect a hose and flick the lever. I do worry about being under there for a few minutes while trying to loosen what I'm sure is a super over-torqued drain plug. ;-) That's why I'll get the garage to put the Fumoto in while they're doing the change.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
We have the oil filter socket tool here, and its small enough not to hit the firewall even with a driver.

36mm 6-Point Oil Filter Socket - 3/8" Drive

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES240945/

thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Gregandterra
Neutral
Had similar problem with Volvo housing. Install the filter firmly into the housing ensuring it is all the way in and seated. If it is not seated, you can cross thread the housing when attempting to install cover damaging the threads. At least on the volvo the filter is downwards under the engine and you can see the threads when installing.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The torque specs for both the oil filter and the drain plug are not very much... around 20 ft-lbs. The monkey-techs are the problem... even at MINI dealers. Both my filter housing and drain plugs were way over-torqued by certified MINI techs. The drain plug came loose at 50 ft-lbs... certified idiots.

Since the end of free service, I've done 5 oil changes myself at 10k intervals and had no problems. Just remember to wipe clean groove for the o-ring gasket, lube the o-ring, clean the housing surface and smear a light coat of oil on it. And when installing, turn it by hand as far as you can before using a torque wrench. Tighten it slowly... any cross-threading would be noticeable.

BTW, I use a Lisle 14500 low profile socket with 3/8" drive.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:59 PM
TexasLonghorn
Neutral
Originally Posted by 5904
Mine was on so tight, I actually broke the 36mm hex on the housing. I machined a 15 sided tool to fit on the canister and work with a 1/2 breaker bar. I removed it in the morning with the engine cold and used a hammer to tap on the housing as counter-clockwise torque was applied. (really a 2 person job)
It took some force but eventually broke loose. I applied anti-seize to the threads and oil to the O-ring and installed a new canister.

Hopefully not pushing the oil change intervals will avoid any future problems.

If anyone else has broken the hex I would be willing to lend the tool I made to help out. No charge, just pay the shipping both ways.

Do you still have the tool? I broke my Hex head.