Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Installing passenger seat air bag weight sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 AM
glxieman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing passenger seat air bag weight sensor

ours went bad, a new one is like $600 so I found a used one. I have no idea what I am looking at, what I bought was the lower seat cover with foam and several things attached.

I think this thing is a rectangular plug module deal that attaches to a flat square matt with open center.

Can anyone verify this?

How do you go about replacing it? Do I need to replace the square matt and the plug module?

Can I reprogram myself once its replaced?

the local authorized BMW place, no dealer where I live, won't replace this for me cause its use. Even though it was his idea try and find one. So while I don't know, my bet is he won't reprogram either. Could be wrong

any help will be most appreciated

Ron

Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I believe the sensor is a mat GLUED to the seat base....so most folks have usually just changed out the bottom cushion.....
Just be sure to disconnect the battery before you begin, and not reconnect it till you are done, or an airbag light will be set that requires a special tool to reset...usually a dealer trip.

If the unit you bought has been peeled off the foam, not sure how to reconnect it, or of you just must put your seatcover over the replacent, then swap. Goodluck!!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
One thought...i guess you already have a light since the seat sensor is bad....so after you replace,you you will need an airbagtool..
.the local bmw shop SHOULD be able to plug-in and reset it....it looks like a glorified odb2 reader, but functions are different....shop tools mights be combined with it....

Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
glxieman
1st Gear
so is the sensor matt glued to the actual seat cover? The one I got does not match the original so it would be nice to be able to take the old cover and put it on the sensor cushion assembly

Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
MINIFatherFigure
3rd Gear
Location: Perth West Australia in an industrial unit with my numerous cars.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using your defective one, try to take it apart. If it works you will know how. If it fails you won't have damaged anything valuable.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
mr. jim
4th Gear
They are not glued in, just sandwiched in between the foam and if I remember correct there's two metal bars that run front to back of the base, you have to slide these out to able to remove it.
I had to remove mine because I installed JCW Sparco seats last year.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Miami
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glxieman
ours went bad, a new one is like $600 so I found a used one. I have no idea what I am looking at, what I bought was the lower seat cover with foam and several things attached.

I think this thing is a rectangular plug module deal that attaches to a flat square matt with open center.

Can anyone verify this?

How do you go about replacing it? Do I need to replace the square matt and the plug module?

Can I reprogram myself once its replaced?

the local authorized BMW place, no dealer where I live, won't replace this for me cause its use. Even though it was his idea try and find one. So while I don't know, my bet is he won't reprogram either. Could be wrong

any help will be most appreciated

Ron
Hi Ron, this is what the sensor looks like under the seat cover:

It is sandwiched between the seat cover and the cushion (which is the foam part). Perhaps you can take it to a car upholstery shop and they can swap it over for you. Any independent BMW shop should be able to reprogram the light. You may be able to reprogram it yourself with a Bavarian Technic tool - but I'm not sure about that. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 PM
zx9rider
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My mini (2003 R50) had an airbag light due to a broken clock spring. I replaced the clock spring and bought an airbag reset tool on eBay. It's the B800 and runs about $28.00. The B800 provides diagnostic codes and performs a reset. I cleared my airbag light in about 2 minutes fiddling with the B800. Very easy to do. The instruction booklet is not that great because it probably came from china.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM
glxieman
1st Gear
thanks for all the help

I think the biggest issue will be figureing out how to reattach the seat cover to the seat frame or whatever is used. Won't know until I look at it I guess

Ron

Old 09-14-2014, 09:54 PM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hey did you ever figure out how to do this? I'm replacing my front passenger seat cushion cover and don't really know where to start... thanks!

Old 09-15-2014, 07:23 AM
glxieman
1st Gear
I had a buddy help me at his shop replace the used sensor. Needed hog ring pliers.

Worked, did not need to reprogram. But lately it is acting up, if my wife is in the passenger seat everything is ok. If my lard *** sits there the warning lights light and do not turn off. No passenger and the lights are off like they are supposed to. I am hoping maybe it just needs programming

Ron