R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Remote Key question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:49 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Remote Key question

So I have read a lot of threads concerning the key and remote and I think I get what needs to be done but I still have questions that are unanswered and would like to see if someone can clarify before I waste money needlessly. Some of this will sound like I am just repeating what has already been talked about, but please read everything before jumping down my throat. I apologize in advance for the lengthy post but hope this helps not only me, but others with the same problem.

Before going further, there are two/three separate things to talk about none of which rely on the other but can be confused in wording. There is the programming of the transponder chip to the car which the chip/key belongs, and separately there is the programming of the remote code (via dealer/locksmith) to the car and the programming of the remote function (no dealer/locksmith needed) to the car for keyless entry to work properly.

What I am trying to do: When I purchased my MCS I only got a single non remote key and nothing else. The previous owner lost the other keys. I want a remote key and a secondary non remote key (or two remote keys). At first I figured I would just purchase a used remote key and put the transponder chip and blade in the remote key and order a non remote key from my Mini dealer. I did this with another car I had and it worked good and saved me a lot of money since I got that remote for free. So I ordered a used (which must have been a secondary key because it looks new) remote key from Ebay thinking I could do this. When I searched the boards here for programming instructions that is when the fun began. There is a lot of info and a lot of confusion and misinformation on this subject both on this board and other parts of the internet. It stems not only from word confusion when talking about programming, but also from the different remote keys for different year Coopers.

I tried to program the remote to my car using two separate sets of instructions I found and after many tries could not get the remote to work. Then I searched and found what seems to be that all Coopers 02-04 with the two button remote have to have the remote’s code entered in the car’s computer by a dealer or locksmith using a GT1 or other programming device at which point the remote can be programmed to work with the car. This apparently was changed for the 05-06 three button remote so no dealer/locksmith programming was necessary, rather simply the remote to car programming.

Then I read the following two ways and never found an answer and is where I am currently stuck. #1. It is impossible to program a used remote for use in another car. #2. It IS possible, but you need a remote code that is supposedly in the owners manual in order for the dealer/locksmith to program it to the car. I did not get an owners manual with my MCS so I cannot verify whether there is a code in the manual or not.

So my question is which of these two is correct and is the owners manual the only place to get the remote code? I found a sticker on the remote and was hoping this might be the code since it has a date next to it. Does this look like the remote code to anyone who knows what the code looks like? If not, is there any way (ex:VIN) to get the code with other info?

Last edited by 04_Indi_Mini_S; 09-16-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Formatted for easier reading
Old 09-16-2012, 09:49 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I saw in a post in another forum, a MINI tech said that if you order an extra 02-04 key from MINI, it comes with a remote code that the dealer uses to program the car. From a technical standpoint, it would make sense that the key has a remote code and a car can be programmed to accept it. In that case, the code of the original lost key doesn't matter -- it won't help you to code your new key.

Since you'll need to have someone program it for you anyway, you may as well give it a shot. Hopefully, that number inside is the necessary code. They should be able to tell you first if it even looks like a remote code (correct number of digits and letters) before attempting to program it.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:40 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Since you will need to gtet with a dealer (most likely) to get more than just the keyless entry working, why bother....the new keys still need to be cut to fit the door/ignition ....
If you wanted ONE key, you could move the old shaft to the ebay remote, along with the imoblizer chip, but you wanted more than one, so just order tham, not waste your time. Getting keyless entry to sync up is not super hard, and 2004 and earlier minis DO use a simpler imoblilzer sysrem, but but workarounds would leave you with a single remote key...and might render it useless in modifing it...leading to a tow job, and one key is no better than you are now..

So just order 2 keys at the dealer, then you will end up with 3, two remote, and one backup...

Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
PS
Codes are not used for keyless entry programming....
The keys are learned by much like garage door openers.....
not sure on the imobiler, but remember you have 3 issues...
The imoblizer to start...
The keyless entry to open...
Shaft of the key to match yours....

Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
ZippyNH, I already have 1 key that works the door locks and starts the car and am trying to switch the blade and chip to the remote key I purchased. I am trying to save money by only needing to purchase 1 non remote key. I would go talk to the dealer, but I live 100 miles away from the dealer and want to clear this all up before I make the trip. I also don't want to pay them to code the used remote I bought if it can't be done or if I can do it myself.

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
PS
Codes are not used for keyless entry programming....
The keys are learned by much like garage door openers.....
not sure on the imobiler, but remember you have 3 issues...
The imoblizer to start...
The keyless entry to open...
Shaft of the key to match yours....
Your statement of "Codes are not used for keyless entry programming...." is at the heart of why there is confusion. If you go back and read what rkw wrote it contradicts what you wrote. rkw wrote, "if you order an extra 02-04 key from MINI, it comes with a remote code that the dealer uses to program the car. From a technical standpoint, it would make sense that the key has a remote code and a car can be programmed to accept it". So which is it, remote code for 02-04 is needed, or not needed, and if needed, is the code I have in my picture THE code? Since I could not get the remote to program to the car, I am thinking that rkw and this thinking are correct.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:41 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by 04_Indi_Mini_S
So which is it, remote code for 02-04 is needed, or not needed, and if needed, is the code I have in my picture THE code?
A remote code is needed for '02-'04 but not for '05+. I have an '06, but maybe someone with an '02-'04 who has their code can chime in and say whether the code in your picture at least looks like the correct format for a code.

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
So just order 2 keys at the dealer
That can cost as much as $600 at some dealers!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm the self appointed expert at repairing these first generation keys so that new ones do not have to be purchased. Since you didn't get any remote key with your car, I may not be able to help much as I don't have any experience with programming new keys.

But you should check for this with the remote circuit board that you have pictured: Under the middle arrow you have drawn, there is a LED that lights up whenever you press either of the buttons. It's hidden when you have the clamshell together for some reason. This LED should light up when you hit the buttons and if it doesn't it means the battery is dead (the batteries last a very long time, but it's possible that it might be dead) or the remote board itself is not in working order.

If the board is in working order I believe that there is a procedure at the dealer that can program it for you, although I have also read (maybe here at NAM) that you can supposedly do it yourself. You might search for the term "Key Programming".

Good Luck-

Val

Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
The led does light up, I neglected to mention that it was working in my initial post. The procedure for pairing the remote to the car is not the problem as it is widely available and easy to find. Again, and as rkw pointed out to be what I believe is true is that the remotes for 02-04 cars need to have a code entered into the car via programming before the remote can be paired to the car. The confusion this code caused is probably the reason why Mini decided to do away with it in the 05-06 remotes. All my post then boils down to is whether or not the code in my picture is THE code that is needed in order for the remote to car programming. I know it seems confusing and that is why I was as detailed as possible initially...

Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
I thought it interesting to note that while researching this, I also came up with the fact that the 02-04 Mini 2 button remote is the same remote used in the 98-04 Land Rover Discovery key (FCC ID: N5FVALTX3). The Land Rover key actually has a clear spot that the led which is covered up in the Mini key shines through. So if this discussion gets a final answer and the key that I have can be used in some way, it should be possible to use the LR key as a possible cheaper alternative. Search on Ebay and you will see the LR key that looks like the Mini key but says LR on it, and then look at the generic blank key fob for both Mini and LR to see that they are exactly the same.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Ok, so I found a few more things. I can confirm that rkw is correct and that a bar code is supplied with new keys and is necessary for the remote to be used with the car.
Proof: http://www.bmw-planet.com/lib/mini/B...L%20MODULE.pdf unfortunately there are no page numbers, but if you scroll down to "Key Initialization" it is all outlined there.

HOWEVER... I also found this: http://landroverforums.com/forum/dis...e-20598/page2/ scroll down to heechen's post. Unfortunately this guy Roverguy7 is no longer active on the board in order to ask him how he deciphered the code that I have in my picture (if he wasn't blowing steam). Since there is a date on the sticker, it seems logical that this code relates to something. My next move if nobody here knows how to decipher the code is to contact Valeo and see if they can help. I know it seems like I am taking this far, but I am determined to figure this out as I believe this can be done.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:52 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Here's the "Remote transmitter (key) programming" page from the 2002-2006 Bentley manual. They picture a clamshell (two button) key to go with the steps.

1- Close all doors

2- Switch ignition switch to KL-R*. Switch to OFF within 5 seconds and remove key.

3- Within 30 seconds, press and hold unlock button and at the same time press and release lock button 3 times. Completed [sic] within 10 seconds.

4- Release both buttons. Doors lock/unlock to signal a successful initialization.

5- If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps above within 30 seconds.

Switching to KL-R completes initialization.

*I don't know exactly what this is, but I'm assuming that it is the run position without starting the car.

Nothing on this page about barcodes. On the previous page it mentions that a bar/release code function in the factory EWS tool is used to activate and deactivate keys, but I think they are talking about doing that to the transponder inside the key in case you need to get a new key or deactivate an old lost key.

If you have tried the above procedure and it hasn't worked, maybe there is something to the whole barcode thing. But how is that expected to follow the key around if it is not on the key?

Val

Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
I tried that procedure several times as well as two others that I came across.

This is from one of the links I posted above. "
Replacement Keys
Each key has its own individual bar code that is supplied with the key. This bar code is used to enter manually the data into the DISplus for programming it to the BC1.
If the BC1 requires replacing the bar code must be read out with the DISplus and programmed into the new BC1 after replacement.

Apparently there is supposed to be a sticker that was placed in your owners manual that was a copy of the bar code. If you as the purchaser of the vehicle/key needed service relating to the key, that is where it is. I have not been able to verify this 100% though as I did not get an owners manual with my car. I have seen mention elsewhere about this bar code being there though. I did contact the person I got my key from, but they did not have the owners manual for the car this key came from, so no luck there.

As I pointed out above also, the Land Rover key has the same exact remote as the Mini key. I could not find a Mini key with the bar code, but did find this: http://www.bputah.com/Disco%202%20Ac...ss_Remote.html

As I was searching for the Land Rover key picture a minute ago I found this: http://ianparsons.info/landroverkeypage.htm down on Land Rover key 3 you will see that they point out the code that I have in my picture and state that this code is, "SUPPLIED WITH 6 DIGIT CODE FOR PROGRAMMING WITH THE AUTO LOGIC SOFTWARE".

So it seems that the coding can be done at least on Land Rovers using this code. Now I just need verification that it can be done the same with the Mini unit. This would all be a lot easier if I had a Mini dealer close to me that I could walk into to ask these questions.
Are there no Mini techs on NAM? I am pretty new here and just getting to learn what is what and who is who.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
I almost missed the wording on the bottom of one of the pages I posted. It directed me to the following link on how to code the key to the car using the 6 digit code I pictured. http://www.autologic-diagnostics.com...rogramming.pdf

Anyone have Autologic coding access??

Old 09-18-2012, 05:09 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
We're a two R50 family, and both came with the owners manual intact. Neither has a barcode sticker in it that I have seen.

Thought somebody mentioned that MINIs might be able to use the Land Rover keys as they seem to be cheaper, but I can't find that comment now. Anyway, as you can see the Land Rover fob and blade are different so they can't be used and as far as the remote board I would be wary of buying any remote that was not designed to work in this country. The frequency that car remotes work in here in the U.S. is different from the frequency used in Europe.

Please let us know what you find and what works and what doesn't. I'd love to know if a transplanted remote board will work.

Val

Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
The Land Rover outside cover is slightly different than the Mini cover as the LR one uses the led of the board because it has a smaller unlock button where LR is imprinted. The Mini cover uses the Mini logo which is larger than the LR logo and therefore covers where the led would shine through. It is not the cover that we are worried about here though and is not what I was referring to. The remote inside both covers is exactly the same as indicated by several things including the FCC ID: N5FVALTX3. This ID is all that is needed to see that both are exactly the same, but for further proof, look at a picture of both boards and you see that both are Valeo, both are 315 MHZ, and both look exactly the same. Whether or not they are coded the same internally for LR and Mini I do not know, but I would bet that you could interchange them and not skip a beat. I would have personally bought a LR remote had one been available for sale and cheaper at the time I got my Mini remote.

I will keep this thread updated with what I find, but the transplant board thing will most likely be left for someone else to try as I already have the "Mini" remote and will be using this to program as soon as I find someone with the Autologic scanner. Maybe if the coding can be done and I need another remote key I will try another time.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by valvashon
Here's the "Remote transmitter (key) programming" page from the 2002-2006 Bentley manual. They picture a clamshell (two button) key to go with the steps.
That is the procedure for 2005-2006 3-button keys. The picture is wrong.

Here is official documentation from the BMW Wiring Diagram System service manual: http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/

ZKE - Remote control (RC) of the central locking system (ZV) (Coupe up to 2004_07)
http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zin...B001510000.htm

Radio-control key MINI (BMW standard) (convertible or ( Coupe as of 2004_07 ))
http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zin...9FB4711001.htm

Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Draper84
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any new info, i am in exactly the same position. I would greatly enjoy it if i didnt have to pay the stealership 200 dollars. This however would seem to be unavoidable. The way I see it you would have to have some sort of programming software to even put the code in.

Last edited by Draper84; 10-17-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
I have not had time to follow up on the last part of the coding question yet and probably won't for a few more weeks. As soon as I find out I will update this thread.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Draper84
any new info, i am in exactly the same position. I would greatly enjoy it if i didnt have to pay the stealership 200 dollars. This however would seem to be unavoidable. The way I see it you would have to have some sort of programming software to even put the code in.
If you have a remote key but it it broken in some way I might be able to help you. Follow the link in my earlier post in this thread and you will be taken to my key repair thread. The difficulty of pairing a remote from another car is why I offer this repair service.

Val

Old 10-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Draper84
1st Gear
Thanks val, but unfortunately just like the OP i bought my car with only a non remote key. I have since called the dealer and they said sorry, out of luck. unless i cough up 200 dollars

Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM
brody78
3rd Gear
Woah, So its looking like its gonna be $200. Darn I need to do the same exact thing... Only have the non-remote key also

Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM
art2111
1st Gear
Are all dealers the same?
If there is a dealership that I could order a key on-line with northamericanmotoring.com discount ?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by art2111
Are all dealers the same?
If there is a dealership that I could order a key on-line with northamericanmotoring.com discount ?
As far as I know, if you are going through the dealer for a key you will have to show proof of ownership of the vehicle. This negates being able to order a key online. I am not aware of any walk-in discount either, perhaps someone else can help you answer that.

As a side note from my posts above, I am getting closer to figuring out how to code a used remote to the car. Not sure if it is going to work, but I am getting closer. I will update when I find out for sure.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 PM
art2111
1st Gear
Thanks and good luck! Let us know.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 PM
art2111
1st Gear
Originally Posted by brody78
Woah, So its looking like its gonna be $200. Darn I need to do the same exact thing... Only have the non-remote key also
My estimate was $175 for the key + $65 for the key cut, plus applicable taxes (13% HST here in ON, Canada)

Quick Reply: R50/53 Remote Key question