R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Flat Floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:33 PM
khor1287
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flat Floor

After taking my back seats out I wanted to go a bit farther just a simple rear seat delete. I started construction of a flat floor with four storage compartments. I used to have a truck and still carry tools and equipment in my car. I designed this to protect my interior and make it easier to store and secure my cargo. I've gotten most of the construction done and have started to look at different finishes and accessories. I thought I'd use rubber or vinyl textured tiles for most of it and wanted opinions. I want to try to make it look factory installed so any ideas on finishes or accessories like tie downs and handles are much appreciated.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Pure87
4th Gear
Can you get panels that have a similar pattern to the dash? Since that pattern is used on virtually every vinyl surface in the Mini, I think it would definitely give it a factory feel.

If that's not possible or plausible, I think the next best thing is to find carpeting similar to the trunk and floor and use that with metal rails to make sliding cargo into the back much easier. Sort of like in the picture below but with hinges where necessary to allow for the storage compartments to be opened. Also, I think some matching door handles or glove compartment handles from the junkyard would make nice latches for those storage compartments.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
I'd suggest using carpeting that matches, however, the rubber flooring with the circles matches the rubber mats that MINI produces really well.

As for latches, I would suggest a nice silver (or black) marine latch. That way it will sit flush with the floor and won't catch anything that you may be sliding in.

The metal rails that are pictured above are very attractive.

Although it may be a heavy alternative, a teak load floor would also be stunning:

-Chase

Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
Oh I am not sure if I get a vote but that teak floor looks MONEY!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 AM
khor1287
2nd Gear
I'm building this floor for real durability so any sort of soft vinyl or plastic is not an option. I will prob stick with the dot pattern. Getting matching carpet has however been a part of the plan all along but its mainly going to be used on the inside and the front rim I also want to try to find not just matching but identical factory carpet. I'm not sure if MINI has custom carpeting or if its some sort of standard that I can find somewhere if anyone knows please help me find some. I'm going to my dealer next week for a check up so maybe they can help me find some too.

I had not thought of cargo rails but I love the idea and will see if I can integrate it into my plan. Thanks for the idea to use actual mini handles too, that's a great idea and if I can mount and make them work mechanically I will definitely use them.

As for a natural wood top, it is an attractive idea. I work at a very well outfitted mill-work shop and have access too almost any wood, the tools to mill it and the know how to make it look just like that one above. Which by the way almost looks too perfect to be real. Making it that nice and putting that much time into it would make it too nice to beat up and for the time being I still need to use my car for cargo. Once I can afford to get a beater work truck I wouldn't be surprised if I remade my minis interior out of solid wood. In the mean time if anyone else wants me to make them a solid teak flat floor I'll do it for $5k

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming. I will keep this page updated as the floor progresses.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
i used that "drawer liner" on my project box. comes in all colors, pretty durable, very cheap, easy to work with, can be bought almost anywhere.

otherwise, Rhino Guard may be a neat way to go too! or some other rubberized spray / paint on coating.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:30 AM
bisnitch
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about a rhino guard like finish? I'm thinking something that is wipe-able and can take a beating. I'm tired of all the dog hair in my car.