R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 GreekDrifter's R53

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:06 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiniMello
It seems like the same size so I would think a water bottle holder for the down tube of a bicycle would be able to screw to the firewall and you could slide that can right into it and out of it at will like a rider could on his bicycle.
THAT is brilliant, see this is why we post lol to get help!!!! thanks

Old 11-01-2012, 01:53 PM
brody78
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniMello
It seems like the same size so I would think a water bottle holder for the down tube of a bicycle would be able to screw to the firewall and you could slide that can right into it and out of it at will like a rider could on his bicycle.
Good Call MiniMello, that could be a possibility GreekDrifter91. But I guess you already figured that out. Damn I'm slow sometimes, But awesome job both of you....

Last edited by brody78; 11-01-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: I'm slow!!! (haha)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Gtouch
2nd Gear
Nice man everything looks great. I myself have a 1987 rx7 turbo 2 but mine is just a shell and is for sale. Goodluck with the build!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
i tossed in some leds in the interior and i love them, they look great.
Name:  DSC_0037.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  102.4 KB

before
Name:  DSC_0039-1.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  61.2 KB
Name:  DSC_0040-1.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  54.7 KB

after
Name:  DSC_0041-1.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  89.2 KB
Name:  DSC_0042-1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  76.6 KB
Name:  DSC_0043-1.jpg
Size:  14.6 KB

a few weeks ago i also picked up a set of RUD snow chains, i will not be running winter tires untill the tires i have now are completely gone. i will be picking up new rims and performance tires. early late winter early spring. and then winter tires again when these crappy all seasons are dead.

im only gonna use them when needed though, they are pretty easy to put on and take off too.

Name:  M3112.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  33.3 KB

OH!!!!! and where can i find a button for the center light? its driving me crazy that i dont have one. cant believe i did see it when i went to buy the car, so many months ago.

Name:  DSC_0044-1.jpg
Size:  178.3 KB

Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Greek,

Where did you get the LEDs..and what sizes are they.

Thanks

Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
got them from here; dont know what size hey are... the bar that goes in the center light dosent fit, its too long, but i will fix the fixture so that it will fit.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/MINI-Cooper...uro_smd_08.htm

Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Order the part through a dealer for the button. Go on RealOEM to find the part number.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
well it doesnt tell me what part it is because they did not include it in the diagram. it givea me the two side buttons though wich i dont need. looks like im gonna have to go to the dealer... ugh.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 AM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
anyone have issues with a slight rough idle? on occasion it sounds like i have a really big cam in the car, i had a cam in my previous car so i know what lope sounds like. the engine lopes and giving it gas wont fix it, but it doesnt happen all the time.

Last edited by GreekDrifter91; 12-02-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Yup...I get that on occasion too...I have read a few other posts and seems to be a software issue. Do you know the last time tour ecu was updated at the dealer?

I don't know on mine but i really don't want to go to the dealer just for this. I did the ECU reset and it went away for about 2 mos...coincidence? Not sure...may try resetting again.

Good luck.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 AM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
i dont know, would it be in the "car fax" at all because i did not see it in the books service records.

i dont have a problem with the lope, was just a observation i think it sounds cool reminds me of my previous car that had a big cam in it. long 268*of duration and .5" of lift.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:46 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Why not put a big cam in your R53 then?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GreekDrifter91
i dont know, would it be in the "car fax" at all because i did not see it in the books service records.

i dont have a problem with the lope, was just a observation i think it sounds cool reminds me of my previous car that had a big cam in it. long 268*of duration and .5" of lift.
Doubt it would be in the Car Fax...you would have to see it in the service records. On my VW GTI which I owned from new -- it was reprogrammed quite a few times...practically everytime I went for a major service..basically a BIOS update.

Greek OR ANYONE ELSE --can I ask a huge favor... can you take a picture of the right side of your engine air filter box -- is it notched.. can you see the filter when the cover is completely screwed down? I just struggled for the last 30 minutes trying to get my new air filter in an get the box sealed and flush on both sies, with the new filter.. I compared to the old one, they are the same size. I finally gave up and just put it in sealing the left side (closer to the engine) and sealing agains the filter on the right side.

The one I used was a mann filter. Seems interesting that they would design it to crush down on the silicone seal....but stupidly I didn't look at how it looked before I removed the box and old filter.

I started the car and there is no check engine light but I just want to know that this is okay to drive.

Thanks NAM community.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious

Greek OR ANYONE ELSE --can I ask a huge favor... can you take a picture of the right side of your engine air filter box -- is it notched.. can you see the filter when the cover is completely screwed down? I just struggled for the last 30 minutes trying to get my new air filter in an get the box sealed and flush on both sies, with the new filter.. I compared to the old one, they are the same size. I finally gave up and just put it in sealing the left side (closer to the engine) and sealing agains the filter on the right side.

The one I used was a mann filter. Seems interesting that they would design it to crush down on the silicone seal....but stupidly I didn't look at how it looked before I removed the box and old filter.

I started the car and there is no check engine light but I just want to know that this is okay to drive.

Thanks NAM community.
I may have answered the first question about the notch with this image.. but can someone please confirm for me they can see the right edge of the filter (the mann ones are orange).

Name:  _DSC1363.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  5.23 MB

Old 12-02-2012, 04:06 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
Originally Posted by submitaweasel
Why not put a big cam in your R53 then?
yea i really want to, but im gonna wait. cams are not cheap, i mean the one for my jetta was 120 new. thats why i got it and the really good hp boost.

yea i was worried about that when i replaced my panel filter. but i wiggled it around then decided just to crush it i feel that sense its sealed on both sides from squeezing the silicone its fine.

Name:  DSC_0049.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  256.2 KB
Name:  DSC_0051.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  118.4 KB

Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GreekDrifter91

yea i really want to, but im gonna wait. cams are not cheap, i mean the one for my jetta was 120 new. thats why i got it and the really good hp boost.

yea i was worried about that when i replaced my panel filter. but i wiggled it around then decided just to crush it i feel that sense its sealed on both sides from squeezing the silicone its fine.
Thanks Greek...funny I came from the Vortex world too..had an MK4 GTI...love the styling of MK5 and 6...maybe some day.

Lots of similar issues over here eh...but a lot less flaming. I happily contribute to bad information at every opportunity...LOL!!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 AM
WhoopetySmacks
Neutral
Just turned over 140k in our '03. Still running the original SC but I'm planning on swapping that out by 150k. Another item to watch out for-the PS pump and fan. There are a couple of good threads on it as well as links to some great how to's, just search it. I'm on my 3rd pump now, but it's from an 06 and my fans updated so hopefully no more issues. I'll plug the VGS mod too. Makes my DD much more friendly in traffic.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WhoopetySmacks
Just turned over 140k in our '03. Still running the original SC but I'm planning on swapping that out by 150k. Another item to watch out for-the PS pump and fan. There are a couple of good threads on it as well as links to some great how to's, just search it. I'm on my 3rd pump now, but it's from an 06 and my fans updated so hopefully no more issues. I'll plug the VGS mod too. Makes my DD much more friendly in traffic.
Watch out when doing the vgs mod. Some (including me) have run into a problem where the bpv diaphragm leaks when exposed to boost. I lost 3psi when I did the vgs mod. Reversed it, and no boost loss anymore.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
Thanks Greek...funny I came from the Vortex world too..had an MK4 GTI...love the styling of MK5 and 6...maybe some day.

Lots of similar issues over here eh...but a lot less flaming. I happily contribute to bad information at every opportunity...LOL!!
im sorry to disappoint but i didnt come from vortex lol, im a jettajunkie we are much nicer there hahahaha. but i will admit i did eventually sign up on vortex but never post i mostly just dig round and read things.

yea i dont think i will ever go back to a VW though. i may use some parts in some future crazy frankesntine car but thats it.

Originally Posted by WhoopetySmacks
Just turned over 140k in our '03. Still running the original SC but I'm planning on swapping that out by 150k. Another item to watch out for-the PS pump and fan.
yea 500 more miles and ill be at 130K, the super charger still sounds good but i think the belt may be slipping or its the crank pulley going out, smells like warm/hot rubber when i play with my car to hard. i know about the fan and pump, i may send the SC to get rebuilt soon anyway i dont feel good about this many miles on that stupid PTU setup for the water pump. plus it will give me a chance to do other things when the charger is out and the car is in service mode.

Last edited by GreekDrifter91; 12-03-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 AM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
anyone think a rear diffuser pr an under body diffuser will help keep the hatch clean? haha. can anyone with a diffuser comment if there hatch is a little cleaner because the air isnt swirling around as much back there.

this is the most ridiculous hatch i have ever seen it wont stay clean. im about to buy a windshield fluid factory so that i have enough fluid lol.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Buy a $15 California Car Duster from Walmart, that's pretty much the only solution.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 AM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
anyone ever heat wrap the stock exhaust manifold?

im thinking about doing it to keep engine bay temps down. and for the very slight boost in engine performance.

its a simple thing to do, but was just wondering if anyone has done it.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
I wouldnt really bother doing it to the stock manifold myself. I don't really see very high intake temps unless I've been sitting for quite a while. If I was putting on a header though...I'd probably do it since it would take an extra 5 minutes.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:52 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
Merry Christmas!

and a question for some friends, what do you guys think i should get for a euro plate on my mini, im stuck between the two spellings.
(im getting a GR plate because im Greek )
Name:  actl_size.png
Views: 236
Size:  20.7 KB
Name:  1.png
Views: 249
Size:  20.1 KB

Old 12-25-2012, 07:11 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The first one! Less busy, easier to read.

Quick Reply: R50/53 GreekDrifter's R53