R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 best spark plugs with mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:02 PM
LAMARR -s53
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best spark plugs with mods

I.want to.change out my plugs. Doing a 17% pulley I have a Cai, a dyno tune (RMW) next month and maybe some kind of exhaust what is the best plugs to get. Colder ones. ?? Ngk ?? Thanks

Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NGK Iridium, one step colder.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 AM
LAMARR -s53
3rd Gear
do u know the number ??

Old 02-11-2012, 10:48 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by daflake
NGK Iridium, one step colder.
+1
these are the same heatrange as the jcw plugs.
just look up the stock s plugs, and tell the counter guy you want 1 step cooler at the auto place, or the stock jcw heat range plugs.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Hound_va
3rd Gear
Brisk Racing DOR14LGS-T with your mods.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Go with the NGK: You need the one heat range colder. :: http://www.detroittuned.com/shop/?productID=396

make sure you TQ. them to at least 25 ft. lbs. but no more than 35 ft. lbs.

Last edited by Detroit Tuned; 02-13-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:21 PM
SneedSpeed
Former Vendor
We have the plugs you need on sale this week. Brisk DOR14LGS-T they are 1 step colder than stock and make 2whp more than the NGKs and they're 10.00 off with coupon code briskplugs this week.
http://www.sneed4speed.com/mini-copp...sign-set-of-4/

Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SneedSpeed
We have the plugs you need on sale this week. Brisk DOR14LGS-T they are 1 step colder than stock and make 2whp more than the NGKs and they're 10.00 off with coupon code briskplugs this week.
http://www.sneed4speed.com/mini-copp...sign-set-of-4/
Recomend these also.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Not a fan of Brisk as I have heard of them breaking in the head. Also not sure of the HP claims that they make.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...essions-7.html

Last edited by daflake; 02-11-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:34 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have used the Brisk Silver Racing plug and the NGK JCW plug but not the Brisk LGS plug. The Brisk Silver was great but wore out quick. I am happy with the NGK JCW plug. I suspect the Brisk LSG will last longer than the Silver plug so probably a good choice. Since the LGS are on sale, I would give them a try.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:41 PM
daflake
6th Gear
You can get two sets of NGK Iridiums for the cost of those! Are they really worth that?

Last edited by daflake; 02-11-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Pick your favorite flavor of Kool-Aid..

It seems the brisk and brisk silvers, and brisk racing plugs are a bit of a cult/fad plug...
The fans come and go, claiming hug gains...(remember a spark plug ((just like the coil pack)), if the right heat range, only IGNITES the mixture, it does not make power...improper heat range can reduce power by causing pinging, etc). If you wait to change your plugs till you see a performance issue due to wear, you of course will see a gain from old worn plugs to new....
But for an somewhat average user, or even modded or highly modded MINI IMO, the NGK plugs offer long life, low price, and reliability. I go by use what is tried, tested and a good bang for the $$. NGK do that. Good quality, and it is still a HIGER performance plug than many commodity plugs (champion, or even Bosh, or things like e3 ((marketing))).
One tip....On a car with a pulley, like the JCW for example, MINI recommends changing the plugs at EACH service...MUCH more frequently than on a stock S....

Old 02-11-2012, 07:39 PM
butlerana
Banned
Brisk Racing DOR14LGS-T with your mods.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:21 AM
littleone231
1st Gear
Stay away from the brisk plugs, you will be sorry.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Hound_va
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
Not a fan of Brisk as I have heard of them breaking in the head. Also not sure of the HP claims that they make.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...essions-7.html

If you look hard enough, you'll find at least one example of every brand of spark plug damaging the head by being blown out. That's most often simply a case of improperly installed spark plugs. There is a reason the Bentley Service Manual states a specific torque spec for the spark plugs, that being 20 ft lbs. It's an aluminum head and people often fail to meet this torque spec, either due to not knowing or lack of proper tools. People also drive to the store, buy plugs, let the car set a bit once they get home, then try to install them when the engine is still warm, which is another reason for plugs to damage the head. Improper installation of any product can cause damage, no matter what brand one chooses.

Keep in mind that very few folks actually use a calibrated torque wrench, know how to properly use a torque wrench, realize the effect of anti-seize or thread lubricants on torque values, actually have a torque wrench where 20 ft lbs is in the middle range, etc;. There are a huge number of variables which can lead to a blown out spark plug.

Last edited by Hound_va; 02-12-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:23 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hound_va
If you look hard enough, you'll find at least one example of every brand of spark plug damaging the head by being blown out. That's most often simply a case of improperly installed spark plugs. There is a reason the Bentley Service Manual states a specific torque spec for the spark plugs, that being 20 ft lbs. It's an aluminum head and people often fail to meet this torque spec, either due to not knowing or lack of proper tools. People also drive to the store, buy plugs, let the car set a bit once they get home, then try to install them when the engine is still warm, which is another reason for plugs to damage the head. Improper installation of any product can cause damage, no matter what brand one chooses.

Keep in mind that very few folks actually use a calibrated torque wrench, know how to properly use a torque wrench, realize the effect of anti-seize or thread lubricants on torque values, actually have a torque wrench where 20 ft lbs is in the middle range, etc;. There are a huge number of variables which can lead to a blown out spark plug.
I'm not talking about them blowing out. Yes, we can find scenarios of all plugs doing this. What I am talking about is them breaking apart in the head and causing serious damage. I personally know of two that this has happened so I don't recommend them. I just don't think that they are a good fit for the MINI and the HP claims are crazy as well.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Hound_va
3rd Gear
The link you provided was about the plug being blown out rather than breaking apart. Breaking apart in the head is a rather vague description of a problem. I'm guessing you mean the ceramic insulator breaking around the tip of the plug which has a number of different causes, including possible manufacturing and QC issues.

Personally, I ignore HP increase claims made on most regular maintenance type items as they're often very optimistic and frequently based upon going from a terribly worn part to a brand new part. Marketing frequently has a way of distorting the truth.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 AM
SneedSpeed
Former Vendor
NGK to Brisk LSG/or LGS-T make 2hp straight up new plug to new plug. Anything over that is totally optimistic. And the reason they make more power is because of indexing, because of their design they dont need to be indexed and this causes the increase in power. If you indexed the NGK you would get close to the same HP gain. Brisk silver racing and NGK showed no power increase only the LGS made more power because of the above reason.
Link to an article on indexing spark plugs http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/07/indexplugs/
I only provide this data to help people make better decisions for their car, most people don't have access to the test equipment, knowledge and number of cars I do so they wouldnt be able to do the testing on their own. You can use this data as you see fit.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
JBC4317
4th Gear
The NGK Laser Platinum Premium works quite nicely in my R53.
Part number: BKR7EQUP
Stock number: 4285

Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Hound_va
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SneedSpeed
NGK to Brisk LSG/or LGS-T make 2hp straight up new plug to new plug. Anything over that is totally optimistic. And the reason they make more power is because of indexing, because of their design they dont need to be indexed and this causes the increase in power. If you indexed the NGK you would get close to the same HP gain. Brisk silver racing and NGK showed no power increase only the LGS made more power because of the above reason.
Link to an article on indexing spark plugs http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/07/indexplugs/
I only provide this data to help people make better decisions for their car, most people don't have access to the test equipment, knowledge and number of cars I do so they wouldnt be able to do the testing on their own. You can use this data as you see fit.
Plug indexing has been around and understood since the 1960's. That aside, as you stated, a properly indexed single ground electrode spark plug makes the same HP as the multi-ground electrode LGS / LGS-T. The multi-ground electrode NGK BKR7EQUP doesn't need to be indexed, the same as the LGS / LGS-T.

It would seem that comparing items that have more similarities in design rather than comparing two similar purpose items of different design has a direct correlation to what one is trying to convey. That is a perfect example of how the truth can become distorted in marketing. It doesn't take a whole lot to compare apples to apples, but the results are often not as enticing to a potential buyer as they are when comparing items with differing designs.

Properly indexed single ground electrode = 2 HP gain over non-indexed single ground electrode plug.

Brisk LGS / LGS-T = 2 HP gain over non-indexed single ground electrode plug = no HP gain over properly indexed single ground electrode plug.

Brisk LGS / LGS-T = No HP gain over non-indexed multi-ground electrode NGK BKR7EQUP.

Comparing a two valve head where the plug enters the combustion chamber from an angle to the valves to a four valve head where the plug enters the combustion chamber nearly vertically between the valves is again a comparison of differing designs which perform similar function.

Last edited by Hound_va; 02-12-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I use the JCW NGK's in all my cars cause over the years I've found them to be the most reliable and least likely to come loose.
I don't believe in HP claims with plugs as they are so small that on a dyno test 1 or 2hp can be effected by so many things.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-12-2012, 02:41 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I don't believe in HP claims with plugs as they are so small that on a dyno test 1 or 2hp can be effected by so many things.

This ^^^

The HP claim is bunk in my opinion, hell, air temp can cause an HP change.

Even if Brisk QC is better now and that won't happen the cost of those plugs is far from justified in my opinion.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:13 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Kinda funny how the gain is attributed to indexing the plug.....or rather not having to....funny that the mini oem plugs are multi electrode....and do not need indexing...so he basicly said brisk multelectode plugs=ngk multi electrode plugs....so no differance. Now, many folks pick a non multi electrode plug.....but you must compare similar products....and all other things being the same, the $$ is the deal maker in most folks eyes. Sure, some folks value putting a euro plug in a (brazilian made motor) euro made mini for some euro purity reason, but common, ngk is tried and tested, good product in the mini, good price, and also the OEM supplier....just says bmw on the insulator....and we know the stock plugs are made to 100% work on the mini....so why change?!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 PM
SimTechDJ
3rd Gear
NGK #4644 BKR7E V-Power

Old 02-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Dennis Bratland
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I pulled out a beautiful looking set of iridium plugs and put in Brisk DR15YS silvers and the car ran smoother, and pulled better at low rpm. I didn't bother to index them, though I probably should if I have the time.

That was only 2,000 miles ago. I'll alert you if my head blows up. I do expect them to wear out sooner. Iridium and platinum are not great conductors; the whole point of those metals is longevity. For people who just want to buy some plugs and forget about them, think about other stuff besides their car. Silver is a much better conductor.

The idea that air pressure or temperature can cause more than a 2 hp variance is not an argument against the existence of mods that might net you 2 hp. On average. If you did the same mod to 20 cars, and dynoed them all, yes you're going to see variation of 2, 3, 5, or more hp depending on all sorts of factors. But nonetheless, when you compare before and after, most of those 20 cars will have a number 2 hp higher than before.

I'm not saying I know if spark plugs or indexing will give you 2whp. But some things do. Some things will net you 0.1 hp, though you'd have to average lots and lots and lots of tests to prove that 0.1 hp is real.

It is a good argument to say that for joe ordinary driver, small hp gains will not be noticed in all the noise of air pressure and temperature and the phase of the moon. Yet somehow, some way, for my daily driver, the silver plugs made a difference I could feel.

Quick Reply: R50/53 best spark plugs with mods