R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 best spark plugs with mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just put a new set of NGK iridiums in pulling out my older ones. The car pulled better and ran smoother as well, this is normal as the plugs are new.

Listen, my only beef with Brisk were the few that I saw that were broken and a few from another person that I spoke to that had also seen issues with them. I would rather recommend something that is solid that I have tested and know works well.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 AM
SneedSpeed
Former Vendor
We have found that the multi extended ground straps burns up faster under high load conditions like track use, thats the main reason we quit using them. They also didnt make the same power for as long as the Brisk in our testing, most likely because of ground strap failure. The Brisk uses an extended center electrode so none of the spark is covered which helped power and cylinder burn, the ground strap is thicker and closer to the head so it cools a little better and lasted a little longer in our track cars.

We have found that indexing plugs in centered valve designs and offset valve older designs had the same effect. Gap to the exhaust side worked better.

You are all welcome to come to the shop or the track with us and watch the testing and racing in person. If you watch our wind tunnel video, we try vortex generators and they dont work as good as I wanted so we dont sell them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iCQ6kPe9EYOur main job is to build winning race cars for customers in the shop.

I understand if you want to recommend something that you use and like and I can too. I never said the NGKs didnt work just that we found the Brisk worked better. But I'm very disappointed when people tell me I'm making things up. I believe this would upset anyone. I own a chassis dyno and have done hundreds of track days testing the parts we make and recommend, so I can tell people what I found that works and doesnt work.

Chris Sneed

Last edited by SneedSpeed; 02-13-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
We isolated 'colder' plugs of two different manufacturers on the dyno with a moderately tuned R53 and saw NO CHANGE in power output. You will not gain power with fancy plugs.

We use the factory JCWs on cars with pulleys.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:52 AM
jimz68
6th Gear
I have been using the Brisk 4-prong plugs with NO issues or problems.
Jim

Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SneedSpeed

I understand if you want to recommend something that you use and like and I can too. I never said the NGKs didnt work just that we found the Brisk worked better. But I'm very disappointed when people tell me I'm making things up. I believe this would upset anyone. I own a chassis dyno and have done hundreds of track days testing the parts we make and recommend, so I can tell people what I found that works and doesnt work.

Chris Sneed
Chris, please feel free to post up the proof then. If you have a dyno and you are making a claim like this then it shouldn't be that difficult to prove.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Dennis Bratland
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I hate being called a liar too. I still have the perfect looking plugs I pulled out. Want me to mail one to you?

And if the reason that my Brisk plugs ran better was because they were new and the iridium ones were "old", well it kind of disproves the whole longevity theory. If iridium plugs go bad in a few months, then you might as well use silver.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dennis Bratland
I hate being called a liar too. I still have the perfect looking plugs I pulled out. Want me to mail one to you?

And if the reason that my Brisk plugs ran better was because they were new and the iridium ones were "old", well it kind of disproves the whole longevity theory. If iridium plugs go bad in a few months, then you might as well use silver.
You missed the point and I didn't call you a liar as I really did just swap my plugs. New plugs will "feel" better but they will settle in and that feeling will dissipate over time, even after a few months especially with our rich running cars. So of course your new Brisk plugs will feel better right away. Buy some new NGK plugs and swap back and forth and see if you feel a huge difference (if any at all). Or you can ignore me and enjoy the really expensive plugs you bought.

Butt dynos aside, if Chris is going to post solid numbers as a vendor, (not even something that Brisk does) then he better have proof to back it.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 AM
faer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm going for the 15% pulley, not sure if i have to change spark plugs to a colder range...
everything else is stock in my car...

Old 02-13-2012, 11:27 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by faer
i'm going for the 15% pulley, not sure if i have to change spark plugs to a colder range...
everything else is stock in my car...
You can run stock plugs on a 15% pulley with no problems. That being said, you can also go one step colder to help with moving heat later. Basically there is no need to swap right away.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by daflake
Not a fan of Brisk as I have heard of them breaking in the head. ...l
this is true. we throw out more brisk plugs than most people sell.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM
SneedSpeed
Former Vendor
I found a graph of a BMW Brisk/NGK test we did 2 weeks ago. The MINI testing was all done in 2007 and 2008 so I'm still looking though the files for it. This graph is a good example though, the NGK plugs were new and the Brisk plugs were new. http://www.sneed4speed.com/bmw-spark...sign-set-of-6/

Old 02-13-2012, 03:49 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SneedSpeed
I found a graph of a BMW Brisk/NGK test we did 2 weeks ago. The MINI testing was all done in 2007 and 2008 so I'm still looking though the files for it. This graph is a good example though, the NGK plugs were new and the Brisk plugs were new. http://www.sneed4speed.com/bmw-spark...sign-set-of-6/
Graphs is way small and hard to read. Also, how many pulls on each plug did you do? Did you then average it out? One pull on each isn't going to tell you anything due to all the different variables that could affect the results. I would think that 10 pulls on each plug would give you more of a solid number.

Meh, you know what, I don't really care anymore. There is simply no way that I would ever spend that kind of money on plugs for claims of 2WHP when I could spend it on something else that might provide me with more. I have stated my peace about Brisk and why and it was backed by a few vendors that have been around so I'll stick with recommending NGK.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
+1
these are the same heatrange as the jcw plugs.
just look up the stock s plugs, and tell the counter guy you want 1 step cooler at the auto place, or the stock jcw heat range plugs.
Tried that, and the guy looked at me as if i had a second head...

Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Dennis Bratland
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daflake
Meh, you know what, I don't really care anymore. There is simply no way that I would ever spend that kind of money on plugs for claims of 2WHP when I could spend it on something else that might provide me with more. I have stated my peace about Brisk and why and it was backed by a few vendors that have been around so I'll stick with recommending NGK.
Just be sure that your recommendation comes with the caveat that you looked at the evidence only up to the point where it started to maybe change your mind, then decided to you didn't care, and you wanted to see no more.

Personally I don't really "believe" one way or the other on this, and I continue to welcome more investigation. If I have the time, I will definitely buy some fresh iridium plugs and see if I can tell any improvement or loss compared with my 2,000 mile old silver plugs. I've put new plugs in a lot of cars and motorcycles for the last 20 years or so, and the only time I noticed any improvement was when I put in silver plugs. But that is only one data point.

If silver plugs cost $60, then $30 per whp is the one of the best bangs for the buck around.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:46 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dennis Bratland
Just be sure that your recommendation comes with the caveat that you looked at the evidence only up to the point where it started to maybe change your mind, then decided to you didn't care, and you wanted to see no more.
No, it will still be the same. It has already been stated that a 1 -2 WHP on a dyno is negligible and there is really no solid way to prove plugs did it. I'm glad that you are happy with your plugs, just be gentle with them as they do have a tendency to break.

To the OP, I still recommend the tried and true NGK plug over Brisk.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:53 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by niquemarshall
Tried that, and the guy looked at me as if i had a second head...
http://ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder...t.asp?mode=nml

Plug in your car information.

One step colder would be a "7" instead of a "6" in the model number.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Lilredscoot
2nd Gear
I have Denso plugs that Agokart installed a few years ago at MOTD, and I'm satisfied with the performance of them

Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by agokart
this is true. we throw out more brisk plugs than most people sell.
Have to agree with Chad

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Burno
2nd Gear
Im in need of a plug change bad...its been about 2+ years since they were last changed...but the engine runs as smooth as ever. Sooooo ???? guess I will go with the NGK ones a step colder...didnt see them on Autozone web page but came across these weird things expensive as hell..

PULSTAR Plugs
Ultra-high power spark plug replacement. With over 1,000,000 W of patented (13 issued patents) ignition power, the pulstar pulse plug creates a very precise, relative to timing, fast growing flame kernel (2X faster than spark plugs) that delivers improved performance and fuel economy while reducing emissions. The 0.5 mm fine wire iridium tip promotes reduced cycle to cycle variations in peak combustion pressure that results in improved throttle response and acceleration. The pulstar pulse plug has a lifetime warranty. Guaranteed
  • Pulsar has 10 times more peak power than a spark plug
  • More horsepower
  • Improve the performance of your vehicle
  • Better than a spark plug
They say they are Gapped to manufacturers specs....and at almost $13.00 a pop is kinda crazy

Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Yeah, avoid those....

If you are looking for plugs contact one of the vendors. Way and Chad both can hook you up with the right set.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 AM
cavalera
1st Gear
spark plugs

hi peeps, i have a doubt regarding spark plugs...since i've installed the nology hot wires, do i need to change the spark plug as well. Does this make any significant changes in terms of the engine performance..

another question...i have also installed a new high cam, alta open port, alta 15% pulleys and fox exhaust system with full piping...i havent collected my car yet...what other minor mods i can possibly do without touching the head??

Old 08-07-2012, 03:37 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
You should not have to change your plugs "because of the wires", but with the mods you've mentioned make sure you are running one step colder of a plug than stock. (NGK would be BKR7EIX).

As far as additional mods, except for a head, the only things I could see are a header (I'm unfamiliar with the exhaust you mention so I don't know if it includes a header or not), 380cc or larger injectors, and a custom tune, thats about it.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
You should not have to change your plugs "because of the wires", but with the mods you've mentioned make sure you are running one step colder of a plug than stock. (NGK would be BKR7EIX).

As far as additional mods, except for a head, the only things I could see are a header (I'm unfamiliar with the exhaust you mention so I don't know if it includes a header or not), 380cc or larger injectors, and a custom tune, thats about it.
+1 on this... Great advice.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Very True.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:39 PM
cavalera
1st Gear
all righty al mighty, understood!! Thank you very much bro..really appreciate it!

Quick Reply: R50/53 best spark plugs with mods