R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 can this just be buffed out or something...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:33 AM
.minimalist
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can this just be buffed out or something...

i got hit by a semi yesterday, i wasn't at fault but my baby paid the price. she's an '03 sport loaded and last i checked the blue book on her was about 9,000. Do you think they will fix it or scrap it and pay me out? i demand they fix her! all damage was on the front end from the windshield forward.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
A little touch up paint...no problem!

She's totaled dude! Take the money and grab a new MINI....sorry for your lose!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:20 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How many miles are on it? I doubt they will fix it if there is some frame damage. It looks more run over and not so much "hit", I guess a semi is much taller. Sorry to hear about it. Keep us updated about what insurance decides to do. Also, demand retail value/replacement value of the car, my wife had a car totaled by another vehicle and insurance wanted to give us $5400 for the car in the beginning, in the end I negotiated up to $7k. Just be polite, use your position of unhappiness as leverage and see what they can work out.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totaled, without a doubt. Although you might be able to have it fixed yourself, its not a good idea. My insurance company pays less on the claim if you insist on keeping the car to fix yourself -- they don't have a car to part out. And since the insurance company reports the car as totaled, your title will show "salvaged" across its face, lowering its value considerably.

Take a payout and buy a new Mini is the best advice.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
+1 for totaled. Semi's suck, they give me major anxiety on the highways. I once almost got smushed when a semi decided to swing into my lane, no blinker, no nothing. hard braking and the emergency lane saved my life. Too bad, because it looked like your mini was in pretty good shape for it's age. But yeah, I'd grab the money and get another. You might be able to snag a nice deal on a leftover 2011 at this point in the year.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:13 PM
erik99
3rd Gear
If you've done any recent work to your Mini, use that as leverage with the insurance company. My VW got rear ended a week after spending 1k on the a/c. I got all that money back.

Sorry for your loss.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 PM
WinnieMiniFW
2nd Gear
Totaled Now I am sad for you.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Oh no... Another mini down...

Old 08-20-2011, 08:17 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Hmmmm...never heard of an "'03 sport".

What kind of MINI is that?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Mathen001
1st Gear
Originally Posted by moreorless
Hmmmm...never heard of an "'03 sport".

What kind of MINI is that?
here's my dumb question......What does the "S" stand for? i assumed it was "sport"

Old 08-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mathen001
here's my dumb question......What does the "S" stand for? i assumed it was "sport"
S = Sport....like Audio TT for Twin Turbo

Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 AM
moreorless
6th Gear
S = S "as in not a Justa".

Not "sport".

Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 AM
HyperBlueSTX20
2nd Gear
Your most likely looking at $6-7K to repair, Mine had the same damage after it ran into the back of a F-450 stake bed. Mostly cosmetic, mine was repaired by BMW perfectly, paint match spot on, runs perfect. If you love your car push to have it repaired.

Brad

Old 08-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by HyperBlueSTX20
Your most likely looking at $6-7K to repair, Mine had the same damage after it ran into the back of a F-450 stake bed. Mostly cosmetic, mine was repaired by BMW perfectly, paint match spot on, runs perfect. If you love your car push to have it repaired.

Brad
You would actually rather have a worthless car (frame damage means no resale value!) than just total it and get a brand new one???

Old 08-21-2011, 09:45 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gentlefury
You would actually rather have a worthless car (frame damage means no resale value!) than just total it and get a brand new one???
In my case, resale value is not a factor, so it does not get figured into whether a car is worthless or not. Not everything is reduced down to a financial decision.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
In my case, resale value is not a factor, so it does not get figured into whether a car is worthless or not. Not everything is reduced down to a financial decision.
ITS A CAR! It's 100% a financial decision!!! You aren't deciding whether or not to put down a dog and get a new one...it's whether or not to make your investment worthless or not!!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
ITS A CAR! It's 100% a financial decision!!! You aren't deciding whether or not to put down a dog and get a new one...it's whether or not to make your investment worthless or not!!
For you it is a financial decision. Not for me nor for others.

Ironically, if it were a 100% financial decision, I suspect no one would buy MINIs in the first place.

At least one person at Chevy understands this as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxCpdU3qGi8

Old 08-21-2011, 10:00 AM
HyperBlueSTX20
2nd Gear
Looking at the pics the impact was up high not bumper to bumper, I highly dought there is unibody damage. I would let the adjuster and body shop look at it, once you get the body panels off you'll be able to see what is really damaged.

If you really love the car bring it back to life, I had an 84 Z28 that went air borne landed in a ditch, ended up looking like a banana with the doors pushed into the quarter panels. Had it repaired drove it for 10 years, without issues.

My MINI has been in 3 wrecks, 23 hours after taking delivery was rear ended, required repaint of bumper cover, in '07 the wife rear ended the F-450, required new radiator, hood, bumper cover, in '10 was backed into in a parking lot, repairs required new passenger door and quarter panel. You look at my car and without me telling you, 99% of people would never be able to tell it was repaired.

These cars can be repaired and provide years of safe and enjoyable fun. I would not write it off without really looking at it. Crumpled body panels look worse than the damage really is.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:06 AM
HyperBlueSTX20
2nd Gear
I agree, when it comes to older cars it comes down to passion, I would not write mine off if it could be repaired.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
For you it is a financial decision. Not for me nor for others.

Ironically, if it were a 100% financial decision, I suspect no one would buy MINIs in the first place.

At least one person at Chevy understands this as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxCpdU3qGi8
Actually it is a great financial decision to get a MINI, it is a luxury car at a very low end price. It has a very high gas mileage, it has a high resale value. It looks great but doesn't cost $50k+....when deciding if you want to repair or replace for an identical vehicle...I don't really understand why emotion would come into play....are you really that attached to a possession that you would rather tank the value and have a car that will never run the same since its been rebuilt over just getting exactly the same car that hasn't been destroyed?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cars are generally a terrible investment. The MINI may depreciate more slowly than others, but they all depreciate. Resale value is only a factor if you're planning on selling it. Otherwise, it is purely an emotional, and maybe utilitarian, decision.

If the OP likes his car more than he thinks he will like a new one, and isn't worried about selling it in the future, getting it repaired is the way to go.

EDIT: Also, since it's an R53, he can't just go buy a new one. Getting a used one is always a crap shoot. This one he may know the ins and outs of, and if it's repaired properly will have no new worries.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Cars are generally a terrible investment. The MINI may depreciate more slowly than others, but they all depreciate. Resale value is only a factor if you're planning on selling it. Otherwise, it is purely an emotional, and maybe utilitarian, decision.

If the OP likes his car more than he thinks he will like a new one, and isn't worried about selling it in the future, getting it repaired is the way to go.

EDIT: Also, since it's an R53, he can't just go buy a new one. Getting a used one is always a crap shoot. This one he may know the ins and outs of, and if it's repaired properly will have no new worries.
No such thing as a totaled/rebuilt auto that ever runs the same....it will never be like it was...therefore, no point in hanging on to it.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:52 PM
HyperBlueSTX20
2nd Gear
No such thing as a totaled/rebuilt auto that ever runs the same....it will never be like it was...therefore, no point in hanging on to it.
And you know this how, I guess my 2 experiences were flukes. Both cars came out of the shop as good or better then going in.

The OP stated he wants the car repaired, it is most likely paid off, there for buying a new one would cost him money.

I really do not think the damage is that bad. BMW can work magic and make it look like it was or better.

I really can't believe I'm on a MINI board having to fight to save a MINI, we should be ralleying around the member supporting him in keeping it on the road.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:11 PM
j3r3my
1st Gear
S = Sport....like Audio TT for Twin Turbo
The Audi TT takes its name from the successful motor racing tradition of NSU in the British Isle of Man TT (Tourist Trophy) motorcycle race. NSU began competing in the TT in 1911, and later merged into the company now known as Audi.[9]

The Audi TT also follows the NSU 1000TT, 1200TT and TTS cars of the 1960s in taking their names from the race.

The TT name has also been attributed to the phrase "Technology & Tradition".[10]

Source: Wiki

Sorry for the lose of your car.

I looked up the TT thing before, thought it was twin turbo too.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:16 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
We don't know it has frame damage or that it is totaled, what we see in the photos, looks mostly superficial. New hood, fenders and some trim and it could be good as new. I agree with those who are saying a car is not a 100% financial decision. For me it was more like 20% when I bought my MINI, I didn't need another car, I wanted a MINI!

Dave

Quick Reply: R50/53 can this just be buffed out or something...