R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 new pulley, belt slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 AM
mankypurple
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new pulley, belt slipping?

06 R53, 37k miles. i installed the WMW pulley this weekend. also put on the new belt and the tensioner stop. all went smoothly on take apart and rebuild. first startup was normal. if i really romp the throttle though, it makes a very loud screeching noise. my buddy came over and we loosened the bolt on the tensioner right above the pulley, and it helped out some. still screeches a little bit. so my question is, is there a certain torque or something i can set that bolt at? the directions didnt specify.
i did torque the pulley bolts to 60 in lbs. more? less? other pulley loose?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Cheerio44
3rd Gear
I have a similar problem, it only happens on occasion though. Is it when your revs go above a certain point, or all the time?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
If the tensioner stop cable isn't in the right position it can cause that. Remove the cable and see if it does it. If the noise goes away you just need to reposition the cable. What happens is when the cable is on wrong the tensioner can't put full tension on the belt, then it makes noise.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 PM
mankypurple
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Cheerio44
I have a similar problem, it only happens on occasion though. Is it when your revs go above a certain point, or all the time?
its only on hard throttle at around 2000 rpm. i can ease it up to redline without it screeching though.

"If the tensioner stop cable isn't in the right position it can cause that. Remove the cable and see if it does it. If the noise goes away you just need to reposition the cable. What happens is when the cable is on wrong the tensioner can't put full tension on the belt, then it makes noise."

and i will give that a shot. thanks!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 AM
mankypurple
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
If the tensioner stop cable isn't in the right position it can cause that. Remove the cable and see if it does it. If the noise goes away you just need to reposition the cable. What happens is when the cable is on wrong the tensioner can't put full tension on the belt, then it makes noise.
thanks way! that seemed to do the trick.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a slipping belt as well. WMW 17% pulley, K060532 belt, new tensioner, ATI super dampener in the stock diameter. I can hear pulley slipping above 5000 RPM and the power loss is confirmed by data logging.

Does anyone have a solution to preventing belt slip? I don't think I could get a smaller belt on there - I already have to pull on the tensioner tool pretty good while slipping over the idler pulley or it won't go.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:41 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mod-Mini
I have a slipping belt as well. WMW 17% pulley, K060532 belt, new tensioner, ATI super dampener in the stock diameter. I can hear pulley slipping above 5000 RPM and the power loss is confirmed by data logging. Does anyone have a solution to preventing belt slip? I don't think I could get a smaller belt on there - I already have to pull on the tensioner tool pretty good while slipping over the idler pulley or it won't go.
Hey mod, do you remember years ago there was anti slip spray for belts when all cars had belt driven fans? Not saying it's elegant or the right way but if it's so tight that you can't get one even 1mm smaller on there i don't think that there is much you can do. Stronger tensioner spring?? Also go with a high quality belt.

Last edited by Kahnfucious; 08-02-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey- part 6 is posted.

I might see about an even smaller belt but don't know if it will be possible to even compress the spring that much.

I was wondering also about a stiffer spring... It would not be easy to do that without some special jig to hold everything in place. There should be a market for that.

I think I will probably end up using the Alta fixed tensioner...

Old 08-02-2014, 07:22 PM
DATBILLO
2nd Gear
I had a similar problem with a 15% pulley. Long story short. I bought a 16% and found an Alta *gag* 15% and when I put everything back together it was wailing And screeching. I took it apart today to replace the tensioner and noticed that my WMW tensioner stop worked really ONLY with the little washers on the side with the bolt head. If the washers get on the damper then the hex bolt clamps down on the stop and prevents the damper from aiding the spring. All went well after I fixed that...... Aaaand then I snapped my ground mount on the engine. F%@!