R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Gauges & climate control stopped working. HELP!!

Old 06-23-2019, 12:00 PM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges & climate control stopped working. HELP!!

Okay, first and foremost I would like to say hello to everyone! I am new into the Mini world but have ALWAYS wanted a mini mainly because my last name is Cooper. Ha. But I had bought my mini a few weeks ago (2003 Cooper S) and have had no problems until I let the car sit for two days. I wen to crank it up and the speedo, tach, and climate control failed to work. The ONLY light that comes on the speedo is the air bag light.

I took the speedo out and checked the connections, both tight. I checked the connections on the climate control, all good. The car runs and drives perfect, but I have no back lights on the dash, and the things I said wasn't working, isn't working.

I checked the fuses under the dash with the volt meter and they're all good EXCEPT F5 which to me looks like the gauge fuse location ? It's only getting 0.30 volts compared to the rest which is 12+. Im really really hoping it's something simple like the speedo because those are affordable on eBay. I can't stand no air conditioning here in Texas so I'm driving my other car until I get this issue resolved.

I checked the battery also. It's 12.4 volts with the car off, and 14.3 with the car on. So alternator is working as it should.

Anyone have any ideas? I hate not having my car working properly!!

Thanks guys, and hope you have a fantastic day!

Rodney

The photo is with the car RUNNING. You can see nothing is working

Old 06-23-2019, 01:21 PM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
I forgot to mention that it does have a aftermarket radio in it. I did mess with the radio the other day. Either it's a coincidence or I did something wrong but I'm pretty good with audio stuff. I looked and didn't see any thing messed with but does anyone know any wire that controls or could mess with the speedo/tach/climate control functions?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:29 PM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
  • No one?

Old 06-26-2019, 06:30 AM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
Still no help.

I read somewhere where someone ran 12v to the number 7 pin on the tach and it worked. I did the same, and nothing.

Would a speedo cause all this? No ac, and dead gauges all together. Only light that's coming on is the air bag light when the key is turned.

Really frustrated!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:01 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 133 Likes on 89 Posts
When it comes to fuses, just because they test good, that doesn't mean they are good. I would change them out and see what happens.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:11 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for awhile?

Old 06-26-2019, 10:27 AM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for awhile?

Yes. I did for already 12-16 hours. (Overnight plus some) Also took the battery to get checked and charged to the most it could be.

Also I checked the fuse panel with the 4 fuses for the cluster and they're good. Swapped fuses and everything. Its getting some type of power because the air bag light in the cluster lights up.

1 of fuse locations for the cluster is only getting 0.30 volts. The rest is 12 as it should be.

Is the cluster tied in with the climate control also? I have the automatic one

Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
You need a scanning tool that can test components like the Schawben scanner and check codes. It's hard to diagnose problems over the net. Did your car get wet, check under the mat for moister, did you check your BCM for corrosion. Need more info.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:55 AM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
You need a scanning tool that can test components like the Schawben scanner and check codes. It's hard to diagnose problems over the net. Did your car get wet, check under the mat for moister, did you check your BCM for corrosion. Need more info.

Haven't checked BCM. where is this?

No moisture that I know of. It worked last week, and over night it did this. It did have issues before where the cluster would fritz out and like make the needles freak out and stuff for a few seconds then fix itself. But now it's dead completely

Old 06-26-2019, 11:59 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kingkoopa87
Haven't checked BCM. where is this?

No moisture that I know of. It worked last week, and over night it did this. It did have issues before where the cluster would fritz out and like make the needles freak out and stuff for a few seconds then fix itself. But now it's dead completely

Old 06-26-2019, 12:23 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
My only experience with the gauges suddenly failing was when my alternator wasn't working and I ran my car anyways. Got to the point where my battery drained and everything shut down.

Just because your battery says it has 12 volts does not necessarily mean it is putting out enough current. The last time I replaced my battery, it went very suddenly. It was still putting out 12 volts but not enough to turn the starter. You should have the battery tested for more than simply voltage.

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:35 PM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
Originally Posted by beken
My only experience with the gauges suddenly failing was when my alternator wasn't working and I ran my car anyways. Got to the point where my battery drained and everything shut down.

Just because your battery says it has 12 volts does not necessarily mean it is putting out enough current. The last time I replaced my battery, it went very suddenly. It was still putting out 12 volts but not enough to turn the starter. You should have the battery tested for more than simply voltage.

Good luck.

As I stated previously, with the car off, its at 12 4 volts and starts just fine. Not slow or anything. When it's running it's at 14.2 so the alternator is working.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:31 AM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
The car drives perfect. Everything works as it should besides automatic ac (no power), tach and speedo are dead completely. Clock by the sunroof isn't working, and I have no backlight on the gauges or the toggle switches below the radio. The switches themselves work fine, but no lights.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:56 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
The car drives perfect. Everything works as it should besides automatic ac (no power), tach and speedo are dead completely. Clock by the sunroof isn't working, and I have no backlight on the gauges or the toggle switches below the radio. The switches themselves work fine, but no lights.

You need a scanner that can test the individual components. Example: I have the Climate Control AC like yours. My fan stopped working, so I used my Schawben scan tool to determine there was no voltage going to the fan which meant either a bad fuse or relay and not the fan itself. Everyone telling you to check this, check that, more than likely will not give you the results that's needed to troubleshoot your problem.
Funny but true story, just happened 2 days ago. My son has a 2004 Kia Sorento, I just changed his CAM/Crank sensors at his dorm parking lot, what a PIA. Before I gave him the money to buy the Kia, I told him he needed to take care of his own vehicle. He called me the other day and told me his car stalled on the highway. I went to get him and spent 5 hours waiting for a tow truck. He told me he was going to have someone come and take a look at the car, great news for me. I was in the house when the guy came by to look at the car, 2 mins later I hear the hood close and even before I got outside, the guy drove off, ($50). I asked my son, what did the guy say. The engine was bad and he would charge $1400 to replace the engine. I ask my son how this guy came to that conclusion, my son told me he tried cranking the engine and he was able to tell from that. I ask my son did he hook the car up to a scanner, he said no, he could just tell by listening to the car crank. I ask my son if the guy was some kind of CAR WHISPERER????? . I hooked up my scanner to the car, turns out it was the Throttle Position Sensor...

Old 06-28-2019, 10:30 PM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
You need a scanner that can test the individual components. Example: I have the Climate Control AC like yours. My fan stopped working, so I used my Schawben scan tool to determine there was no voltage going to the fan which meant either a bad fuse or relay and not the fan itself. Everyone telling you to check this, check that, more than likely will not give you the results that's needed to troubleshoot your problem.
Funny but true story, just happened 2 days ago. My son has a 2004 Kia Sorento, I just changed his CAM/Crank sensors at his dorm parking lot, what a PIA. Before I gave him the money to buy the Kia, I told him he needed to take care of his own vehicle. He called me the other day and told me his car stalled on the highway. I went to get him and spent 5 hours waiting for a tow truck. He told me he was going to have someone come and take a look at the car, great news for me. I was in the house when the guy came by to look at the car, 2 mins later I hear the hood close and even before I got outside, the guy drove off, ($50). I asked my son, what did the guy say. The engine was bad and he would charge $1400 to replace the engine. I ask my son how this guy came to that conclusion, my son told me he tried cranking the engine and he was able to tell from that. I ask my son did he hook the car up to a scanner, he said no, he could just tell by listening to the car crank. I ask my son if the guy was some kind of CAR WHISPERER????? . I hooked up my scanner to the car, turns out it was the Throttle Position Sensor...

Thanks buddy, lll check out my local BMW mechanic to see if he has this scanner tool. I haven't checked my BCM yet, but will in the morning. It just seems like it's not getting power somewhere.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:00 PM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
Well, I watched a video on YouTube that a mechanic shwoed and fixed that was doing the same exact thing as mine. But his fix didn't fix mine. Which was caused by water damage and my car has never had water inside it.

I tried hooking up my ELM327 obd2 scanner to it and it would no read. So I'm guessing I'm having issues at the obd port as well? The lights lit up on the scanner, just said it couldn't connect.

I'm tired of messing with it. This Texas heat is unbearable when your inside a car trying to fix things. I guess I'm going to order a speedo and see if that fixes it. If not, I guess I'll have to break down and take it to a proper mechanic.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Just remember that it isn't as easy as changing the speedo. The speedo is one of three components that need to have the vehicle's VIN and odometer readings coded into them. If they do not match when they do their handshake, the system will not work. The other two components are the BCM and the PCM/ECU. The OEM radio is also part of the CANBUS system in these cars, but the system can run without it. The radio's role is not active in running the car but is restricted to things like the steering wheel controls for the radio and the speed sensitive volume control. On some modern cars (maybe not these early MINIs) the radio is also used to pump in fake engine noise through the speakers.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:52 AM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Blue R50
Just remember that it isn't as easy as changing the speedo. The speedo is one of three components that need to have the vehicle's VIN and odometer readings coded into them. If they do not match when they do their handshake, the system will not work. The other two components are the BCM and the PCM/ECU. The OEM radio is also part of the CANBUS system in these cars, but the system can run without it. The radio's role is not active in running the car but is restricted to things like the steering wheel controls for the radio and the speed sensitive volume control. On some modern cars (maybe not these early MINIs) the radio is also used to pump in fake engine noise through the speakers.

Well tye factory radio has been gone for a long time. I'm just not the type that takes cars into a mechanic shop. I do the work myself, but this has gotten to a point where I'm out of ideas.
I just don't get why when I turn the key, the air bag light turns on in the cluster and that's it. It's getting power, but not doing anything else. No odometer reading or anything. My clock isn't working, along with the AC.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:20 AM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
I also forgot to mention that the dinging, the clicks when you turn the blinker on or hazard lights, and any interior ding has gone away. Is this because there is a speaker inside the cluster?

Old 07-01-2019, 05:22 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
sunroof car? I would check the wire harness at drivers footwell, it's under the trim & carpet, water likes to get in there and corrode the connector

with any luck some electrical contact cleaner will fix it up, it also happens on the passenger side near a module, that can get expensive if the module is damaged

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 11:07 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Wire harness at the BCM and look for the clogged and leaking drain in the sunroof that leak down in the footwell.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-03-2019, 09:27 AM
kingkoopa87
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Wire harness at the BCM and look for the clogged and leaking drain in the sunroof that leak down in the footwell.

I pulled BCM and checked all connections. Both at BCM on pass side, and the connecter at driver footwell behind fuse box. Everything is good, no water intrusion, no broken wires, everything is good. I looked to see if anything was crusty from water and it looks all brand new. I'm guessing it's the speedo honestly, atleast I'm hoping so.

Again, when I turn the key the only light that comes on is the airbag light. And when you hit the small trip button on the speedo, the mileage doesn't come up on the screen.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:13 AM
MiniOnDaRun
1st Gear
I pulled BCM and checked all connections. Both at BCM on pass side, and the connecter at driver footwell behind fuse box. Everything is good, no water intrusion, no broken wires, everything is good. I looked to see if anything was crusty from water and it looks all brand new. I'm guessing it's the speedo honestly, atleast I'm hoping so.

Again, when I turn the key the only light that comes on is the airbag light. And when you hit the small trip button on the speedo, the mileage doesn't come up on the screen.
Hey did you ever figure out the problem i have similar issues with no working signal chimes, ac climate control and backlighting in clusters but my speedo and miles do work just no back lighting.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:14 PM
bump32
4th Gear
Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
K-bus

I am having a very similar issue as the OP. Anyone every get a grasp on this one?
I'm going to be posting my details here, so I have it all in one place.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4618045
If any one has some insight I'll take it & when I get it figured out, I'll update here to.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 05:57 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts
Load test battery. Issues with clutter can be battery related.

scan with inpa.

Replace tach? I read that bad tach can be cause…

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 Gauges & climate control stopped working. HELP!!