MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Newbie in Central Ohio
1 Replies, 51 Views
New GP Owner, Massachusetts
by GP182
2 Replies, 63 Views
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Mini Charging System

HI all this is my first post, Im sure it wont be my last . I love this car, but realized that my mini was no longer charging its battery, I stuck a VOM on it and read, like 10V when it was running.

I replaced the alternator, thats the first thing I thought of and still no joy. Still the battery light is lit and the battery doesnt charge, does anyone know more about the charging system that could suggest something else that could be wrong. I was SO sure that the new alternator would fix it, but no dice.

I have also verified both wires from the little gang plug to the harness thing attached to the little block was ok. So not really sure what my next step is besides put the old alternator back in it and tow it to the mini dealer.

anyone with thoughts on what else could be wrong would be a great help.

thanks
Wayne
Old 03-21-2010, 03:18 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Welcome, Wayne. How old is the battery?
'04 MCS "Blue Meanie" / WMW 15% pulley / one-ball exhaust / DDM intake / H-Sport 19 mm anti-sway bar / JCW plugs / Kingsborne wires / magnetic drain plugs / Speedy wheels / Hawk pads + ATI rotors / Craven ST defenders / Whalen shift **** / Scan Gauge II / Gominigo 3rd brake light / Powerflex LCA bushings / WMW street tune / TSW jack points / Ian Cull v. 7 auto-up switch
Old 03-21-2010, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
thanks! this seems like a cool group from all that I have been reading so far. The battery is new, 7/09

thanks,
Wayne
Old 03-21-2010, 03:36 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
The only other thing I can think of is to check the grounding strap. On the S it is on the left side of the engine bay (big black cable). Mine broke and the car wouldn't even start.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
yeah, its definately good, I had to bend it a bit to allow for the tensioner to be let off.

thanks,
Wayne
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Garage
Check the jump start stud under the hood. If it is loose or needs cleaned it will affect both voltage reads and charging. It's near the firewall on the left side of the car.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Thanks, Ill check that out tomorrow, is there a way to check with a VOM if the alternator is actually putting out the voltage?

I suppose its possible that the new alternator could be bad, its a remanufactured one.

Wayne
Old 03-21-2010, 07:53 PM