R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Help with hood latch (bonnet)

Old 04-15-2009, 11:38 AM
ve3hzz
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with hood latch (bonnet)

High, just a question regards to my 2002 CR/B MCS.

I went today to check my oil at the gas station, and it would not open!!!

Upon further investigation I find that the driver side does unlatch, but the passenger (Right front) will not at all. I had someone hold the cable open while I wiggled that side a bit, and it won't budge.

Anyone else have this problem and how easy/hard is it to fix.

I am so frustrated right now!!! I just got finished a few minutes ago fixing my wife'a VW Beetle power window POS fiasco with broken cables that took TOOOO long!!!! due to NO instructions....

Anyway anyone have any experience with this please chime in. I appreciate any advice/knowledge anyone has on this and how hard it is to get fixed!!!(by ME that is!!!!)

Regards

Scott.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If the cable that operates the latch is broken, which it sounds like it is, you could get to the hinge by taking off the wheel and the fender liner. Then you can manually operate the latch with a pair of pliers so as not to pinch your hand. I've never tried this, but given the hinge's position, you should be able to get to part of it.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 PM
hegira
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I remember it, when I got Emily ('02 MCS CR/B), I saw/heard of a possible problem with the hood-latch cables becoming un-attached at the point where they connect to the latch mechanism under the hood. The repair involves removing the wheel and liner, and as Nab said, actuating the latch with a pair of pliers or haemostats.
Once the hood is open, the fix is pretty simple. Take a couple of small zip-ties, and after re-attaching the cable to the actuator, secure the cables to the frame of the actuator.
This was my first mod!
Let's hope this fixes the problem. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 PM
ve3hzz
2nd Gear
UPDATE!!!

Well I have fixed my bonnet latch issue.

Thanks for the posts on possible fixes...

I went yesterday to local Mini dealer and one of the SERVICE guy's explained they couldn't fix it then, but could get the hood open for me if I wanted, but it would be OK to drive home till they could. He explained that there is 1 cable out to the firewall and then into 2 cables one routes through the cowl cover area and the other straight out to the right front latch. I had checked the pull under the dash on the passenger (right) side and felt 1 cable (originally). That's when the Mini dealer guy said there was 1 cable going to the pull under the dash?

Well this morning I jacked up the passenger front wheel and removed my snow tire from it (was planning on swapping them now anyway so I thought no biggie. I then proceeded to pull the tabs for the inner fender on that side to get at the latch. Well I got most of the "push clips" out only breaking 1 (not bad) pulled the plastic fender back and attempted to unclip from around the fender plastic surround. It caught it and broke those clips!!!
I pulled with a pair of pliers the cable and popped the latch and opened the hood..GREAT!!!!

But I could not figure out why it was not working. I pulled a bit on the cable and pushed it..seemed fine? I attempted (lightly) to pull the cable to see if it was broken somewhere? It did not seem to be stretched nor did that matter in it's operation? So I pushed in on the cable. I then went to the passenger side and put the window down and stretched to see if the cable moved at all when I pulled on the under dash latch pull. No movement!!!! at all!!!

SO went back to the pull under the dash with my trouble light bent over to see what I could. Lo and behold there was another cable, it had BLUE like the one on that passenger side. It was just laying there, Pulled on it and felt it pull something!! AH HA!!! I could see it was not attached to the pull. I wiggled it around to get it on where it's suppose to go. I pushed both latches to engage and pulled the tab...and BING!!! both disengaged like they are suppose to!!! GREAT!!!!!! FIXED!!!!!!!

BUT I AM SO MAD AT MYSELF AND THAT USELESS ADVICE from that GUY at the dealer. I am just glad he was not there...oh man!!!
But all is good now and it's fixed.

I think someone (maybe even me) pulled the latch and let it SNAP back and caused the slack in the cable to allow it to disengage from it's housing on the pull.
If one side of your latches do not operate, make sure that BOTH cables are attached. On mine WHITE is left (driver) and BLUE is right (passenger). There are 2 cables and I think are seperete not 1 unit as I was lead to believe

Sorry for long explanation, but I want anyone else to check this FIRST..I felt under there and only felt 1 cable. I mentioned it as being odd? but was told what I was told and so took it as face value!!!! I should have checked it again first, but after my wife's VW beetle power window issue the day before I just followed the instructions to get it open.

My bad!!!

Hope this helps someone else, and again the former posts with suggestions were correct and I appreciate that input. You were not given the info I left out regards to 1 cable or I am sure someone else would have mentioned it to me first.

Regards

Scott.

The following users liked this post:
Husky44 (09-22-2020)
Old 04-17-2009, 07:25 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Glad to hear it worked out.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 PM
ve3hzz
2nd Gear
Thanks Nabeshin I am glad it did too. Just wish it took 2 minutes instead of 2 hours+!!!

Atleast I got my tires swapped so that's the positive item. And I got my parcel shelf delivered today and in the car!!! Nice addition.

After installing my 06 factory radio with Aux input and adding the complete switch pack I'm ready to install (when purchased) the fog light kit and code it and the rear's + some other items. Then I have to give this car a break in the MOD department for a while and concentrate on my Miata doing some items yet to be done on it!!!

Never ends!!! But that's half the fun isn't it???

Thanks for the info and good wishes, believe me it helps.

Regards

Scott.