R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 How many miles before you start having problems?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
thousandsfall
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles before you start having problems?

I just bought a 2004 MC with 100,000 miles on it. I put alot of miles on my car. I have put 3,000 in the month I have had it. I am wondering if I should sell it and get a car with less miles on it, or I should beat it into the ground. When do these things start breaking down completely?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:44 AM
marco621
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a tough question. I just read in the latest MC2 magazine that a man from Ohio has over 307k miles. He says and I quote "The Mini is on the third set of brakes, several windshields and many tires. However, the engine has never been apart, there's been no trouble with the supercharger and it still has the factory installed clutch."

Each MINI is different. I'd get it checked out for any major problems and then start maintaining the little odds and ends.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Mini1966
3rd Gear
My girlfriend has a 2001 Buick with the 3.8L V6. 189K miles.. runs like a fine sewing machine.

why? the same reason applies to yours and any other MINI out there...

it was well maintained, frequently serviced and any little thing got taken care of in a timely manner.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 PM
elevatus
1st Gear
If you bought it with 100k on it, it's too late for this question.

Just drive it until it explodes and in between now and then take care off all the little things and it should thank you.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take care of it and replace things when they break...it will last a very long time. 100k miles is not that much anymore.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:37 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
In the latest MC2 issue (in which I'm pictured @ "Your Wheels" - It's All Greek To Me) they have a feature on the Supercharger -- start listening very carefully to it after 100,000 - 120,000 miles or so. Also the serpentine belt replacement is pretty critical.
These articles definitely have me thinking!

Old 09-28-2008, 11:51 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Modern day cars are designed to last for well over 250K miles with recommended maintenance intervals. The problem is that most people dump their vehicles with less than 75K miles on average.

The MINI is a very durable high quality car. Treat it right and you'll have a fun to drive machine for years to come.

There is a gentleman in Ohio that owns a 2003 MCS with 307K original miles and the car has been kept with just the recommended maintenance.

100K miles today, believe it or not, is still a new car.

My 2005 MCS is fast approaching 50K miles (I am at 48K +) and in less than 2K I'll be out of warranty. However, the car has been kept religiously by the book and still feels, drives and looks brand new. I plan to put on it at least another 150K miles. This car is definitely a keeper.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:53 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveTinNY
In the latest MC2 issue (in which I'm pictured @ "Your Wheels" - It's All Greek To Me) they have a feature on the Supercharger -- start listening very carefully to it after 100,000 - 120,000 miles or so. Also the serpentine belt replacement is pretty critical.
These articles definitely have me thinking!
Serpentine belt should be replaced around the 60K mile mark. I wonder if the stock Supercharger in the 2005+ is a little more durable (Coated splines, basically a JCW upgrade supercharger) over the older stock superchargers found in the 2002-2004 R53 S?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:57 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
People that abuse their cars and are negligent with the maintenance are the same group of folks that come to these boards claiming that MINIs are garbage and self destruct...blah, blah, blah.

You'll be surprised how many people shell out serious cash for a new car and yet barely take care of it during the first (and crucial) years of ownership.

Lemons exist and do happen on every car made in the world today. But lousy maintenance habits tend to wear down and destroy any car, no matter who makes it, where is made and how well built it is.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by thousandsfall
I just bought a 2004 MC with 100,000 miles on it. I put alot of miles on my car. I have put 3,000 in the month I have had it. I am wondering if I should sell it and get a car with less miles on it, or I should beat it into the ground. When do these things start breaking down completely?
I believe the OP has a base Cooper. So no supercharger to worry about.

You could start having problems very soon or not for another year or two.

The question that makes the biggest difference in your case is how was the MINI maintained BEFORE you bought it?

Do you have all maintenance records?
Where basic fluid changes done on time, early and with high quality materials?
Service done via extended warranty? DIY? Dealership or garage?
Are there any upgraded parts? Replaced OEM parts?
What was the MINI used for? Only commuting- mostly urban or long distances?
How many previous owners? Only one person or a family of four?
What was the weather and parking conditions like? Garaged? Any snow?
Any accidents or rust?

If you don't know then you should not expect much. Stuff breaks and a 2004 will likely run into difficulty over the next 3 or 4 years like any car. 100,000 miles is nothing if the car was maintained well.

Which transmission? 5 speed or CVT? Was it replaced or had work done on it?

Anytime you can commute long distances on highways with sparse traffic the wear and tear on your car will be much less. Heavy urban driving with short trips are very bad on cars and mpg.

Big ticket items for repair:
Transmission trouble
Air conditioning trouble
Engine block problems from running oil too low or overheating
Electronic problems- Xenon lights, power windows, power steering fan, sunroof, aux fan relay, etc.

The heavier the loads carried the faster the suspension wears out-
Normally the stock suspension should last 5 to 6 years or more.

Tires and brakes wear out fast and get replaced.
Radiator and transmission fluid gets changed every 24,000 miles or 2 yrs
Oil and filter is changed every 5000 to 12000 miles using synthetic oil.

Does the interior of the car look worn out/beat up? Usually a visible sign of heavy use.

I have a 2003 MCS with 47,000 miles and I gave it a good cleaning and it looks basically new. Driver's leather side bolster a bit cracked and worn but all other seat parts are new looking.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:55 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Absolutely, ask for a folder with all maintenance records. Also, with the VIN serial number any MINI dealer can pull up the original build sheet and service history information. Carfax.com is yet another good source of information.

Beware of flood cars!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
+1 to what everybody else has said. I recently sold my early 2003 MCS and the only "major" problem was having to have the steering column replaced/repaired, emergency brake cables replaced (seized from the NE winters), and a Xenon replaced.

Your 2004 is going to be more reliable that a 2002 or a 2003 (like what I had). I traded-up because I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and was annoyed by some of the little things (the sunroof creak/rattle which would take $2k+ to fix, etc). Do your maintenance, but yes things can still go wrong which is obvious from the litany of items listed by others. However the BIGGEST issue with the pre-2005 non-S MINI Cooper is the transmission. The CVT wasn't known for its reliability and neither was the Midlands 5-speed either. Check the service history, see if the tranny has ever been replaced and have the transmission thoroughly inspected. This is the only "deal-breaker" in my book.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 AM
mininy
Neutral
Mininy

I have a 06 mini with 158000 miles. To date (12/12): one serpentine belt, one thermostat, one set of rotors & pads, three sets of tires and oil changes every 8000 to 10,000 miles. It's driven everyday, NY winters and all. It still runs like new and continues its 35 to 38 mpg. Keep on top of the maintenance and it should last a long time.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:42 AM
pookachu
1st Gear
Definitely get your carfax to see what was done before you got it. I can share my example, but this isn't going to be the same for every cooper. it depends on how it was treated.

My 03 had 102k on it when I bought it. It just had the transmission rebuilt. The original owner replaced the steering wheel, but I think that was more personal preference as she had the car custom built and was still under warranty when the steering wheel was changed. Before I agreed to the car, I looked at all the things MCs should have replaced or checked at 100k. My dealer had done most of them so I felt it was a safe bet.

I've had it since July and I'm now coming up on 106k and the most expensive thing I've had to do is get a tune up, which included spark plugs. Could have sworn the dealer said he replaced them but since I trust the garage more than the dealer, I didn't question it (garage is run by my indirect uncle). I did replace the windshield because it was really pitted and made it difficult to see at night. Safelite said it was probably the third or fourth windshield that car had seen. I have full glass coverage on my insurance but if I didn't, that would have cost more than the tune up.

Other than that, my MINI runs just fine. I would never assume this car is coming up on 10 years old. It runs great. My friend has a 2001 Pontiac that runs like crap compared to my car. You would never assume there's only a two year difference between the two.

Also, since the last poster shared, my car lived in FL until 07 and has been dealing with northern winters since.