Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

No low ballers, no scammers, no trades!

Old 09-06-2016, 03:29 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
how often do you sell on craigslist? 10 to 1 is the ratio, not 10 total emails for every 10 I get one of them will actually respond back, the other 9 just ask if its for sale still and that's it

Old 09-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Dennis Bratland
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't understand the issue. Are you trying to convince me to start responding to ads with "don'ts" in them? Because I just don't want to. Not just Craigslist. On eBay if I see an item that has any peevishness, I don't bid.

I'm not any kind of expert. Maybe it's like that "negging" the pickup artists do. Maybe it works. It turns me off but I only speak for myself. So when I sell something I do it the way I would like if I was buying. Other sellers should do what they have to do, but I don't have to buy.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:39 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
no I'm just telling you why those of us that sell a lot of stuff on craigslist put that in the description

craigslist has a big problem with people leaving listings for a month that already sold, anyone that sells a lot knows to put it in the description.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Dennis Bratland
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I do know. That's why I said, "The reason you get 10 emails is because those buyers have been told 10 times "nope, car [or bike, or big green egg] sold last week. sorry". They're sick of it too. The blame is with people who don't take their ad down. Why? Usually because they don't know how, because they don't sell stuff very often."

The more popular Craigslist is, the more you're going to meet noobs. Which is true of everything, from roller skating to sushi eating. Yet the reason we choose Craigslist is that it is popular. The only way to avoid that is if you know that the only people who will buy your thing are all readers of some special listserv or classified site, then you don't have to deal with the general public.

A simple solution is this: instead of saying, "don't email me asking if it is still available", just write, "I will take this ad down as soon as it sells." Just like "firm" is more polite than "no lowballers".

Old 09-10-2016, 08:44 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I sell stuff on Craigslist all the time. If you are a responsible seller then you will delete your ad after its sold. People will ask you if it's still for sale whether you wrote "if it's still up its still available" or however you want to word it regardless.

A simple yes, and some contact info is all you need to respond. If it's not for sale then you need to delete the ad. Simple.

On the point of what's in the thread title, adding no lowballers, no scammers, just hints that you aren't willing to deal much so I'll look at other stuff first.

I completely understand adding no trades to the thread, even with that people ignore it or send you "I know it says no trades but......." I get that one all the time, I buy and fix/sell cars often. I get people trying to trade me tired lawnmowers and junk all the time.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:25 AM
3rdcoastmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the ad says "don't waste my time" I like to call and talk about the weather with them to see how much time I can get.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:09 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
you'll get about .05 seconds from me, I always let the calls go to voicemail and then see if it's worth talking to them.

I have nothing for sale right now, rare for me I need to clean the garage some more I guess

Old 09-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by X757XVeritas
As a legit car buyer when I'm searching for something those actually turn me away from those cars. Usually means the owner is completely unwilling to haggle or is otherwise a jerk usually. I can understand no trades. I've had to specify that in listings before. But the rest doesn't need to be typed and reflects a certain attitude that I don't much care to deal with.

Exactly In the same group of douches that includes guys stating "I know what I have". Please.