Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Overheating; No "check engine light"

Old 11-29-2015, 12:07 PM
ottobomb
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating; No "check engine light"

Okay so a couple of things to consider, my AC has not worked for about 6 months now. When air is forced into the engine it'll push it through the car but when I'm sitting still no air goes to the car(now as of this morning, no air whatsoever goes through the vents into the car). This morning on my way to work after letting my car warm up for about 20 minutes, when I got up to about 45 miles per hour it started overheating, so i stopped at the gas station to let it cool down. When I left it was fine for about a minute and a half and then it started overheating again, so I pulled into my friends driveway(thank god he lives close), and parked the car. I turned it off to try and let it cool down for a minute and when I went to turn it back on all it does is tick, it won't turn over at all. Have any of you guys run into any issues like this before? Or know what could be causing it or what the issue is? If so it would be greatly appreciated for some info as to what I need to do in order to fix this. All of the mini dealerships are closed today so I have no way of talking to an actual mini mechanic. I've never messed with any AC parts on the mini so I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for but like I said info would be much appreciated. This is my daily driver, and am currently out of a vehicle. I need to fix this asap, and I don't think I have enough money to actually take it in and get it fixed. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!! :/

Old 11-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK. Now that the car is cool, does it start? Will it start with a jump?

My guess is that the A/C has no bearing on this and you don't say which Mini you have or how many miles are on it.

So, the first thing I would check is the power steering fan. If that fuse is blown or the fan is otherwise not working, you will typically overheat rather quickly particularly if you low speed is out too which many are.

So, that is what I would check first. P/S fan and fuse. After that the issues get more complicated and more expensive.

///Rich

Old 11-30-2015, 04:51 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
What year MINI? S or non s? Any odd smells, or changes in sounds?
Sorry we can't do anything about the $$, but know when you have the skills and tools to diy it, and when to skip it...a word of warning...delaying a fix can cost you 2 or 3x more.....driving a car till it will not go...a ¢5 fuse or $2 coolant fill can turn into a $1500 head-gasket or a $4500+ motor...
And if a car is "overheating" it can take HOURS too cool...not a minute... The fact it "clicks" but no cranks could be MAJOR (SEIZED) or minor, overheated starter or weak battery...and a tip...when overheating starts, you have SECONDS to stop...so unless you friend lives two driveways away from when it started to go wrong...think I'd brace myself for the worst.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 11-30-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Thorson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to assume that a minor problem morphed into a major one. The thing about newer cars is that everything under the hood seems to be more interconnected than ever before. This is why it is so important to nip a minor problem in the bud. If you don't, it WILL get worse very quickly.