Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Mini crossed a line, replacement or backup car

Old 11-11-2014, 04:36 PM
schr5530
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini crossed a line, replacement or backup car

The mini crossed a line
I could not drive to work because my 06 r53 mini was on blocks. I bought a defective brake caliper from rockauto. thread for bleeder was stripped and bleeder was frozen in original. Repair would have been done Sunday but didn't find this till I had the bad part on and tried bleeding. Luckily I can work from home and Napa saved the day with a new caliper by noon Monday.

So now I'm seriously thinking about new(er) car. Unfortunatly with job security I don't want to clean out my savings or get a car loan right now. Depending on what I can get for the mini that doesn't leave a lot. I was going to wait a couple more years till student loans were done. So I'm only think maybe $5k + mini...

I can't think of a new car I want. I still love driving my mini. Newer minis don't have the fun go cart feel of the original and mine has been plagued with problems. What do people recommend for fun and reliability. (Plus good for a 50lb pit bull to ride in)

Alternatively I could get a backup vehicle, a truck or motorcylce (would need motorcycle license)

Old 11-11-2014, 06:07 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
You don't have to get a new car because you got a bad replacement brake caliper!

Just keep fixing your MINI. I keep cars forever, my Chevy S10 has 600,000 miles on it, it is on it's third engine, second transmission and second rear end. I've repainted it once and reupholstered it once.

I have a Volvo with 250,000 miles, original engine, it burns about a quart and a half between 70000 mile oil changes, I don't know how many brake jobs I have done on it, but it drives and looks like new. I just keep up on repairs as they come up, it is way cheaper than a new car!

Dave

Old 11-11-2014, 06:42 PM
schr5530
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
You don't have to get a new car because you got a bad replacement brake caliper!

Dave
Correct but the problems keep coming and I increasingly can't rely on it to be my only operational vehicle. I'd love to keep the mini for a few 100k, but it's starting to not make any sense as my only mode of transport. It's not just money. It's time and inconvienence too.
That's why I also asked about good backup vehicles. It would be handy to keep a dirt cheap truck around if I could find one. I've also been thinking about getting getting a motorcycle license. IT wouldn't be good for ct winters but it would be a nice option half the year.

What is a good cheap truck? when is cheap probably too cheap?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:16 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
My MINI is my only car too, and while it's been pretty solid, I've considered a backup too. Like you, I thought about getting an old pickup for hauling mulch, landscaping timber, etc. or a new washer, dryer, or dishwasher when the time comes.

If/when I do decide to get a backup/hauler, I'll probably look at older Toyota trucks. As a fan of Top Gear, I've seen what they put a small Toyota truck through, and still had it start. Plus, there is some credibility to the fact that so many Toyotas are used in third-world countries where maintenance isn't easily found. I've had two Camrys be nearly bullet-proof, so the history of reliability in their other vehicles helps IMO.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM
schr5530
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fridayxiii
My MINI is my only car too, and while it's been pretty solid, I've considered a backup too. Like you, I thought about getting an old pickup for hauling mulch, landscaping timber, etc. or a new washer, dryer, or dishwasher when the time comes.

If/when I do decide to get a backup/hauler, I'll probably look at older Toyota trucks. As a fan of Top Gear, I've seen what they put a small Toyota truck through, and still had it start. Plus, there is some credibility to the fact that so many Toyotas are used in third-world countries where maintenance isn't easily found. I've had two Camrys be nearly bullet-proof, so the history of reliability in their other vehicles helps IMO.

I agree but warn Toyota's aren't all the same around the world. The 3rd world toyotas aren't available in the states.
Still it's hard to think of a toyota that isn't bullet proof

Old 11-12-2014, 03:09 PM
two250
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fridayxiii

As much as I hate Toyota (for their lack of style and performance) I would have to agree. I had a 1996 T100, sold at 200k miles and it never had a single issue. I never had to replace a bad part, just things like a timing belt and ball joints as they wore out. Even at 200k it didn't leak any kind of fluid, trans was never touched and still shifted perfectly.

OP if you want a reliable vehicle go with a 90's Toyota, just stay away from the 4 cyl Camry. They have an issue with breaking connecting rods, I have seen it first hand in 3 different Camry's.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Funny, the Mini is my reliable car. I have a Miata that I hardly drive to work/appointments cause that's the one with issues.

Sounds like you need something with warranty.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:45 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
207,000 miles on my 03 ! Key factor is knowing the actual life span of certain parts, changing them as part of a planned maintenance system IF already in that area working and FLUID changes! Has worked for me and so far never left stranded ( except for once when the pos Red Top Optima battery only lasted me 3 yrs ! - went back to OEM. )

Old 12-19-2014, 12:04 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
207,000 miles on my 03 ! Key factor is knowing the actual life span of certain parts, changing them as part of a planned maintenance system IF already in that area working and FLUID changes! Has worked for me and so far never left stranded ( except for once when the pos Red Top Optima battery only lasted me 3 yrs ! - went back to OEM. )
+1 (for everything but the battery!!)
Sounds like you got a "bad" one...mine is 6+ years...still going!!
One more thought to the op...
Sometimes you get a bad part...
Even most dealers order rear calipers these days...
I got lucky, my mini guy had one on the shelf when I needed one....YMMV.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:54 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by schr5530
[...]So now I'm seriously thinking about new(er) car. Unfortunatly with job security I don't want to clean out my savings or get a car loan right now. Depending on what I can get for the mini that doesn't leave a lot. I was going to wait a couple more years till student loans were done. So I'm only think maybe $5k + mini...
I hate to say out loud, but I would NEVER recommend a MINI to anyone as the one and only car. Just too many issues all around.

MINI's are fun.
But bullet-proof they are not.

Originally Posted by schr5530
I can't think of a new car I want. I still love driving my mini. Newer minis don't have the fun go cart feel of the original and mine has been plagued with problems. What do people recommend for fun and reliability. (Plus good for a 50lb pit bull to ride in)

Alternatively I could get a backup vehicle, a truck or motorcylce (would need motorcycle license)
However, since you are handy, and on a post-college budget, how about getting a second MINI, very similar to the one you already have? This way you always have an ample supply of spare parts, and can get at least 1 car 150% road worthy ;-).

All kidding aside, that's exactly what I did after college, only with old used bimmers.

To answer your question another way, with $5K budget, you are hardly in the market for a reliable bullet-proof car. So might as well stick with known unknowns...

a

Old 12-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Having one care that is unreliable and then buying a cheap back up car that will probably also fail will ensure you spend all your free time wrenching. I'd save the $5K for parts and repairs. Rent a car if your mini is out of commission for a bit and you need a ride.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:39 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by afadeev
To answer your question another way, with $5K budget, you are hardly in the market for a reliable bullet-proof car. So might as well stick with known unknowns...
There are plenty of options for reliable cars around $5k. None of them are very exciting though