Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

What should I buy?

Old 10-01-2014, 05:52 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
What should I buy?

I'm now finally in the market for my first car. I have a budget of around $3-4k and a few stipulations. But first, some context.

I've been really interested in cars all my life but have had no opportunities for real experience. My family is not particularly mechanical and I haven't been able to work much on their cars. I have just recently gotten an interest in detailing and doing DIY work on my dad's '02 Cooper base. Nothing major so far (cabin air filters, emblems, shift **** etc.), but at least I'm learning something. That being said I actually care about cars and driving them is less about getting from point A to B as it is the in-between. I want to get a car I'll be able to work on and learn for myself and enjoy driving. I'll be going to college soon where the first 2 years of which I'll spend learning diagnostics and repair of pretty much anything that goes wrong with a car, and part of my tuition includes $5,000 worth of tools so hopefully I'll be equipped for DIY's in future.

Here's my general stipulations:
  1. It must be a manual. Obviously I'd prefer a 6-speed.
  2. Decent gas mileage.
  3. Relatively low parts cost for my own repairs.
  4. This is obviously subjective, but I'd want to feel like I was owning a piece of history with my car. Like an R32 Skyline, an FD RX-7, a 2nd gen. WRX STI or a Lancer. I can't articulate very well what it is I mean by that, but I'd just like to avoid a Civic or something.

I know I'll be leaving stuff out, but that's partially why I'd like to open this up to you guys. I know everyone here has lots more experience than me and will have some good recommendations. Please ask me more questions if you need some more specificity, I'd be happy to oblige! And if it helps, I think my dream car is an E39 M5.

Last edited by sevin; 10-01-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:42 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You're probably going to get a lot of different recommendations but to start things off I would suggest you consider a Mazda Miata. Within your budget restraints I would be reluctant to consider a Mini Cooper unless you really want to spend a lot of time using your tools. Parts for a Miata are considerably cheaper than they are for a Mini and the cars are easy to work on along with being considered close to bullet proof by many owners.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:02 AM
Piano Man
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with whaap. Miata's are plentiful in that range. You also might look at a Toyota MR2 in the early generations. Honda crx-si is fun too. I had one of those and fun to drive. $4K won't really get a MINI in good shape. If you're a grease monkey and love to work on cars, then you might find a MINI, but it will need lots of work...

Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 AM
sevin
6th Gear
What year would you guys suggest? Was there a particular "best" year or what?

Old 10-02-2014, 09:27 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sevin
What year would you guys suggest? Was there a particular "best" year or what?
With the Miata (I've owned two of them) I don't think there is any one particular year you want to stay away from. They enjoy a good reputation. The first model that came out is designated as NA. That's the one with the flip up head lights. The second model that came out in 1999 (I believe) is designated NB and the current model is designated NC. To be more specific as to which one to buy, I would buy the most recent one my budget would allow. That is as long as it is in decent shape. Like any car you can find recent models that have been whipped to death and you can find old ones that have been garage queens. I would certainly opt for the older garage queen than I would one that might possibly be abused. Like a lot of used cars, if in doubt it would be worth a few bucks to have a mechanic give it a going over before you decide on price and whether or not to buy. Quite a few years back I bought a used 911 and it cost me $100.00 to have a Porsche mechanic check it over. I thought that was well worth the money.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:19 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by whaap
With the Miata (I've owned two of them) I don't think there is any one particular year you want to stay away from. They enjoy a good reputation. The first model that came out is designated as NA. That's the one with the flip up head lights. The second model that came out in 1999 (I believe) is designated NB and the current model is designated NC. To be more specific as to which one to buy, I would buy the most recent one my budget would allow. That is as long as it is in decent shape. Like any car you can find recent models that have been whipped to death and you can find old ones that have been garage queens. I would certainly opt for the older garage queen than I would one that might possibly be abused. Like a lot of used cars, if in doubt it would be worth a few bucks to have a mechanic give it a going over before you decide on price and whether or not to buy. Quite a few years back I bought a used 911 and it cost me $100.00 to have a Porsche mechanic check it over. I thought that was well worth the money.
I've been checking craigslist and it seems like all the semi-decent Miatas, NA and NB, are $3-4k. So that will definitely be something to consider. Did they all come with 5-speeds though?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:14 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sevin
I've been checking craigslist and it seems like all the semi-decent Miatas, NA and NB, are $3-4k. So that will definitely be something to consider. Did they all come with 5-speeds though?
I'm not sure of the NA's. I had two NB's and they both had 5 speeds.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:13 AM
theUnderDog13
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The crappy thing is that nobody really gets what they really want with a first car. I'd say just look at what cars are available in your price range and find something that says "you". You're lucky to be able to pick a first car.

I started off with a 98 Chevy blazer, SUV. Then bought my brothers daily long commuter car, 03 Mazda protege 5 hatchback with a 5 speed. I finally learned stick for 8 months on that mazda before getting my MCS with a 6 speed.

I agree with its all about the journey when it comes to driving. I love it with a passion.

Good luck

Old 10-07-2014, 01:30 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
I too am always looking for something else...

I tend to lean toward marques like Aston Martin, Porsche, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Austin, Morris, Jensen... sorry...

Looking at your list, I would have to ask where are you located... the R32 Skyline is pretty rare in the US, but you can find a few... the RX-7 again great car but again getting harder to find, so you will pay for it. The WRX STI (the highest stopped car by police) finding one that has not been hashed up by previous owners... as rare as the Skyline, the Lancer as long as you you are not set on the EVO, but a mid level Lancer is pretty much bullet proof. I would agree that it would be a great low cost car with lots of life left (as long as it is not the EVO) the EVO like the WRX STI, so hard to find one that has not been thrashed by previous owners.

So from your list... I would recommend the Lancer, a Mid Level model... even without the EVO package it can be a real hoot... but bottom line, I would also look for a 04-06 MINI Cooper S (Supercharged), but then ... what do I know...

Motor on!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:55 PM
sevin
6th Gear
What about an '02 MCS? My price range has just been extended to $5,000. How reliable are they exactly? We've already got an '02 base, but I still have to do some convincing to get my parents on board. I found a lovely burnt orange MCS for $5,000 in great condition, but I don't know how different maintenance will be from the base. I will probably be doing most of it myself. Gotta act fast on this one!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:22 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
02 mcs, bad first car, it will be a money pit more than likely. First car, get a reliable ugly car you don't care about, that's how you will have the most fun with it. I had a Buick lesabre, what a pile. Did burn outs every time I pulled away from a stop sign. Seats were like a couch, looked ugly so I didn't worry about how it was treated by my friends. Get a nice car a few years later, you will appreciate it more.