Navigation & Audio 8.8" touchscreen w/ Harman Kardon retro fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:48 PM
Ken Chalk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8.8" touchscreen w/ Harman Kardon retro fit

Just picked up my fully loaded 2017 Clubman All4. As of December 2016 Clubman All4s ship with the 8.8 touch screen and wireless charging. A buddy told me that my car probably has the touch screen and just needs a software update to activate it. Any chance this is true, or that there will be a retro fit. Kinda bummed that I missed out on the touch screen by two weeks.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:26 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Was it built to order, or purchased off the lot? What is the build date of the car (on the VIN plaque at the door)?

People were taking delivery of cars with touch screen at the beginning of December, so the conversion began at the factory in November: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...interface.html

Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 AM
Ken Chalk
Neutral
The car was not built to order. The build date 7/28/2016.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:31 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Touchscreen production started in November 16 - a software update won't fix it. New headunit, new screen, new iDrive controller. I'd wonder if you could retrofit the headunit itself if you already had nav, but you'd be on your own as no dealer would do the work for you. Those parts aren't cheap either..

Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 PM
Ken Chalk
Neutral
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Touchscreen production started in November 16 - a software update won't fix it. New headunit, new screen, new iDrive controller. I'd wonder if you could retrofit the headunit itself if you already had nav, but you'd be on your own as no dealer would do the work for you. Those parts aren't cheap either..
My car is fully loaded with connect XL, GPS Nav ....the works. I posed the same question to a tech the dealership while waiting for my new plates and LED door sills to be installed. According to the tech my car has a touch screen and can be enabled with the software update. He said that some cards shipped from the with an older version of Conect XL software that does not recognize the touchscreen or include the appropriate drivers to enable it. The tech told me for a fee that the touch screen can be enabled once the CarPlay package rolls out later this year. Let's hope he's right.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:55 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Chalk
My car is fully loaded with connect XL, GPS Nav ....the works. I posed the same question to a tech the dealership while waiting for my new plates and LED door sills to be installed. According to the tech my car has a touch screen and can be enabled with the software update. He said that some cards shipped from the with an older version of Conect XL software that does not recognize the touchscreen or include the appropriate drivers to enable it. The tech told me for a fee that the touch screen can be enabled once the CarPlay package rolls out later this year. Let's hope he's right.
Not sure where your tech is getting his info, but this just isn't true. The hardware (screen AND headunit) is completely different. It's easy to tell if you have a touchscreen because they are glossier than the older 8.8" screens. If you were to sit in two different MINIs, one with the touchscreen and one without, the difference is clear - even with the car off. I'm sorry, but there is no magic software switch to update your headunit to the new iDrive 5.0 units.

Speaking with people from MINI, CarPlay will indeed be coming later this year, but it doesn't sound like it will be retrofittable to even the current touchscreen units. It will probably only be MY2018 MINIs and up. BMW did something similar where cars (even with the new iDrive 5/6 units) manufactured before a certain date were not able to retrofit CarPlay. I guess time will tell, but...

Old 01-16-2017, 08:03 PM
Ken Chalk
Neutral
Not sure where your tech is getting his info, but this just isn't true. The hardware (screen AND headunit) is completely different. It's easy to tell if you have a touchscreen because they are glossier than the older 8.8" screens. If you were to sit in two different MINIs, one with the touchscreen and one without, the difference is clear - even with the car off. I'm sorry, but there is no magic software switch to update your headunit to the new iDrive 5.0 units.

Speaking with people from MINI, CarPlay will indeed be coming later this year, but it doesn't sound like it will be retrofittable to even the current touchscreen units. It will probably only be MY2018 MINIs and up. BMW did something similar where cars (even with the new iDrive 5/6 units) manufactured before a certain date were not able to retrofit CarPlay. I guess time will tell, but...
My screen definitely Is glossy, as compared to the screen on my wife's 2016 countryman. In the end I'm not sure it matters anymore because after playing with the CarPlay unit in my sister-in-law's car I Think I'm better off without it. CarPlay is very distracting and not all that user-friendly.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Touchscreen production started in November 16 - <snip>
Interesting...especially since my build date was 11/15 and certainly no touch screen...DOH! Missed it by THAT much.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:00 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Chalk
My screen definitely Is glossy, as compared to the screen on my wife's 2016 countryman. In the end I'm not sure it matters anymore because after playing with the CarPlay unit in my sister-in-law's car I Think I'm better off without it. CarPlay is very distracting and not all that user-friendly.
Yeah, everybody seems to want it, but after playing with it the only thing I really want from it is Apple maps. The new implementation of MINI Connected actually works pretty well when I played with the new headunit. Go to your source list (which now has radio, USB, BT Audio, Music Collection all in one list) and you'll see supported apps alongside everything else. Select Pandora and you're good to go. No plugs, no weird app launch - just easy app launching. I look forward to spending more time playing with it.

Originally Posted by WhatV8
Interesting...especially since my build date was 11/15 and certainly no touch screen...DOH! Missed it by THAT much.
Nav?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:43 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Nav?
Actually no, so I likely didn't miss anything. No biggie, I know how/where to drive around my area and haven't had any issues winging it when necessary outside my general area. I likely had one of the shortest order sheets my MA had to ever deal with, FWIW

Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WhatV8
Actually no, so I likely didn't miss anything. No biggie, I know how/where to drive around my area and haven't had any issues winging it when necessary outside my general area. I likely had one of the shortest order sheets my MA had to ever deal with, FWIW
Ah gotcha - no nav = no touchscreen. The base headunit won't get touchscreen for some time.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Ken Chalk
Neutral
Has anyone had any luck using the plan new journey feature in Mini's Journey Mate XL app on an iPhone 7 or equivalent android device? The plan new jurney feature crashes the app.

I did manage to get the plan journey featured to work twice, and it is awesome, but every other time since then it cause the app to crash. We. We take a lot of long road trips and this app is incredibly handy for planning stops along the way. Kind of disappointed I'm not able to get this to work.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 PM
Agent007pr
1st Gear
HAs anyone confirmed that all cables have remained the same?