Navigation & Audio 2017 F55 S - iPhone 6s not giving text alerts

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 04:40 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 F55 S - iPhone 6s not giving text alerts

I hope this makes sense. I read the manual today and I'm confused. Just picked up a new 2017 F55 S.

1. I have the phone paired to the car. For both phone and streaming music. But my phone doesn't make any sounds anymore. Like if I have the phone on, and turn it off, that click noise doesn't happen. I get no noise for text messages either. Is that some safety requirement, i.e. phone in car so no alerts for you!

2. I went in to the settings in the center screen and thought I had the car able to display my text messages on the center screen. But nothing.

Am I missing something obvious? Thanks!

Old 12-19-2016, 11:18 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
1.) iPhone will route all audio through bluetooth. If you listen to bluetooth audio, you'll hear the sounds. Think it's more iPhone behavior than MINI-specific behavior...

2.) Make sure your phone is set to send notifications to the MINI: On your phone, go to SETTINGS, then BLUETOOTH, tap the blue "i" next to MINI##### on your devices list and make sure "Show Notifications" is switched ON. If it wasn't, it may take a power cycle for it to start working. When you receive a message, you'll see an envelope icon in the top bar of your screen, letting you know you have a message. You can then go into the Phone menu and read the message, or you can activate Siri (press and hold the voice command button) and have her read the message to you.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:31 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I might try to figure out how to disable bluetooth audio streaming but keep bluetooth phone. But what you says makes sense...since my salesman enabled BT streaming, the phone probably things the external phone mics should be silenced.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:48 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spyked
Thanks for the reply! I might try to figure out how to disable bluetooth audio streaming but keep bluetooth phone. But what you says makes sense...since my salesman enabled BT streaming, the phone probably things the external phone mics should be silenced.
You can turn off BT audio from your MINI, go to PHONE, then BLUETOOTH DEVICES, highlight your phone and hit the OPTION button on the iDrive controller, then go to "Configure Phone/Device" and uncheck audio.

Not sure if that will help or not, but let us know your results

Old 01-17-2017, 02:55 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the 6" connect screen, no nav... phone is iPhone 5S .....just did the above tips....still do not get an audible sound that i have received a text but now the little envelope icon appears along the top ....so got a text today and went to 'Office' and clicked on 'Messages' and volia, the text was displayed, and then i turned the **** and clicked on 'text to speech' ....and it played the text for me....quite cool

now if only i could change the voice on the car's computer to have an English accent ............

Old 01-19-2017, 03:44 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Press and hold the voice command button on the steering wheel and you can ask Siri to read you the message and she'll give you the option to reply via voice!

Old 01-24-2017, 06:04 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
2.) Make sure your phone is set to send notifications to the MINI: On your phone, go to SETTINGS, then BLUETOOTH, tap the blue "i" next to MINI##### on your devices list and make sure "Show Notifications" is switched ON. If it wasn't, it may take a power cycle for it to start working. .
Pretty sure this is only for the 8" screen, not the 6.5". I have the 6.5 and that Bluetooth option isn't available, nor is Office in the car's menu. Just Contacts.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:13 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Pretty sure this is only for the 8" screen, not the 6.5". I have the 6.5 and that Bluetooth option isn't available, nor is Office in the car's menu. Just Contacts.
I've definitely seen on several 6.5" screens and even some 2nd gen MINIs with Connected. Enhanced Bluetooth is the key as it includes Office functions, including messages support. If you have a 2015, it should have came with Media Package.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:56 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I've definitely seen on several 6.5" screens and even some 2nd gen MINIs with Connected. Enhanced Bluetooth is the key as it includes Office functions, including messages support. If you have a 2015, it should have came with Media Package.
Interesting. According to the bimmer.work decoder, my car has 6FP Radio Mini Visual Boost, 6NM Mini Connected and 6UM Mini Navigation Mini System. Bluetooth isn't even listed, although I use Bluetooth all the time for music and phone.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:00 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Interesting. According to the bimmer.work decoder, my car has 6FP Radio Mini Visual Boost, 6NM Mini Connected and 6UM Mini Navigation Mini System. Bluetooth isn't even listed, although I use Bluetooth all the time for music and phone.
Hmm...6NE would be Enhanced Bluetooth