Navigation & Audio Bluetooth audio with iPhone 7/iOS 10

Old 10-11-2016, 02:59 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Bluetooth audio with iPhone 7/iOS 10

Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone has been having trouble playing audio from their new iPhone 7 or previous model iPhones running iOS 10. I've been having issues with it where I can only play a few seconds of music before the audio cuts out and my bluetooth connection has to be reset. Plugging the phone in with a lightning cable doesn't seem to work - the media selector will say the device is not supported. Connection with an AUX cord is not ideal since the iPhone 7 doesn't have a headphone jack and I also have the Visual Boost system which I would like to use to control the audio that's playing rather than messing around with the phone directly.

I've read a lot of posts online where people have been having issues with bluetooth audio with the new iPhone and iOS in all different kinds of cars and nobody seems to have a solution. I'm hoping that the next iOS update will fix this issue, but I'm not optimistic about it.

Anyone else here having problems? Any solutions?

Old 10-13-2016, 03:47 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Bluetooth hardware changed with the new iPhones and it is having a lot of issues with MINI/BMWs (and several other Bluetooth devices). Mine seems sporadic - some days it works perfect, some days I have the same issue you have. BMW has put out a bulletin saying they know about the issue and are working with Apple to fix the problem in the next iOS update.

Not sure why you're not having luck with a USB connection either though...Are you using the OEM Apple cable? 3rd party cables, especially non-MFi cables have been known to be finicky

Old 10-13-2016, 06:56 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Bluetooth hardware changed with the new iPhones and it is having a lot of issues with MINI/BMWs (and several other Bluetooth devices). Mine seems sporadic - some days it works perfect, some days I have the same issue you have. BMW has put out a bulletin saying they know about the issue and are working with Apple to fix the problem in the next iOS update.

Not sure why you're not having luck with a USB connection either though...Are you using the OEM Apple cable? 3rd party cables, especially non-MFi cables have been known to be finicky
I'm not sure what would be more irritating; having it never work for more than a few seconds or having it work perfectly one day and then have problems the next

It's good to hear that BMW is aware of the issue. I had not heard about that bulletin. Hopefully the next update fixes this issue.

I think I was having trouble with the USB connection because of the bluetooth crashing. I know it was causing problems when I was trying to switch from bluetooth to my old iPod that was connected to the USB. I actually tried the phone with USB last night and it worked without issue with an Apple certified 3rd party cable. One problem solved, one to go...

Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by shmandrew
I'm not sure what would be more irritating; having it never work for more than a few seconds or having it work perfectly one day and then have problems the next
Right?!

Definitely sounds like a problem on Apple's end so we just have to wait for that iOS 10.1 update to come out.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:37 AM
indierocke
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know I was having the same issue with my new iPhone 7/iOS 10 device where the Bluetooth connection would lock up after around 15 seconds and stop working. I was able to get by using the USB connection instead with an Apple lightning cable. However, Apple released the 10.1 update a day or so ago and ever since then I haven't had the issue occur anymore. I've probably been in my car 15 times since updating so hopefully that means we are golden now.

Best of luck!

Old 10-27-2016, 11:54 AM
rootsnes
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night I updated my iPhone 7 Plus to iOS 10.1 and it solved all the Bluetooth phone and music issues. Everything works like a charm today. :-)

Old 10-27-2016, 12:52 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I also upgraded to iOS 10.1 and haven't had any issues yet, so it looks like Apple patched things up...so far....

Old 11-05-2016, 02:35 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Same here... iOS 10.1 has fixed all my bluetooth issues and everything is working perfectly now