Navigation & Audio Where EXACTLY to pass Pwr Cable Thru Firewall

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:26 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Where EXACTLY to pass Pwr Cable Thru Firewall

F56 2DR HB

tomorrow I will be installing a Class D mono block power amplifier in my 2016 F56 JCW. I noticed, on either side of the firewall by the engine bay... there is on either side a large rubber Plug that seems like a good place to pass a 8 gauge 12V power cable from the Battery to the rear of the HB trunk area.

Has anybody done this? If so, any suggestions or tips.

Thank you in advance

Cheers

Old 08-08-2016, 06:00 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
woo hoo!

Got IT!!!!

Old 01-29-2017, 10:59 PM
bharms
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey LormaD, was that rubber plug the way you ended up going? If so, any tips? Was one better/ more accessible than the other?

Best,
Brian

Old 01-30-2017, 05:59 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Here ya Go...

Originally Posted by bharms
Hey LormaD, was that rubber plug the way you ended up going? If so, any tips? Was one better/ more accessible than the other?

Best,
Brian
if you Check out the BLUE wire, You will see where I passed it thru, it is approximately 4-8 gauge wire ( I don't remember thickness).

My advice to get it to pass thru is...

1) You need a real "fishing" wire, the type that electricians have and that most stereo installer shops have. This type of wire allows you to "place" a direction you want the wire to pass through. Most of these fish wire are stiff, yet flexible, and have an arcing round about shape to them. So basically an arc. And you want to pass the fish wire through and downwards, towards the foot well.

2) The second tip I can give you is... After you have fished the fishing line through from the engine bay to the foot wheel well area... is to get some good electrical tape. You are better to tape off a longer piece of Power cable to the fishing line, and keep the electrical tape wounds thin (don't thicken the power cable to the fishing line by wounding to many strips of tape).

3) Now that you have the fishing line passed and the power cable secured to the fishing line, get yourself some dish washing soap. Make yourself a very strong solution of "palmolive" 10 to 1, with water. Rub that on the part where the fishing line is just about to pull through the taped power cable. You will need this lubrication, because the tackiness of the power cable and the tackiness and tight firewall grommet will force the fishing line to detach from the power cable (the electrical tape adhesive is simply not strong enough) due to the tightness and the friction between to the surfaces.

cheers

Old 06-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
A couple of inches up and to the left yields a plastic plug that pulls out and you can then run wire through that. At least on my 2014 HT, no mess, no fuss.