Navigation & Audio iPhone 5 snap-in adapter - success...and review

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:20 PM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
iPhone 5 snap-in adapter - success...and review

As some of you may have read from other threads getting the correct snap-in adapter for my iphone 5 has been something of a saga. My two pieces of advice if you are considering buying one are (1) DO NOT attempt to order one before you have your MINI in hand and (2) DO NOT consider anyone's opinion on adapter model number other than the vendor willing to ship one to you (and back up that purchase with a reasonable return policy). That said...

PROs - No bluetooth needed...so no hot phone. Also since I have heretofore always kept bluetooth turned off to preserve battery power not having to turn it on and off every time I drive my car is VERY nice. The antenna signal boost actually works - I reliably get an extra 'bar' in every location I've tested. The phone is nicely tucked away and won't fly about. And it is nicely hidden away from the prying eyes of over-vigilant police officers.

CONs - For the adapter itself the only downside is the price. But the real downside is the hideous complexity and counterintuitiveness of the whole MINI connected NAV/Music system. If I lived in a state that wasn't so wackadoodle about phones in cars I'd just chalk up my purchase of the MINI tech options to experience, upgrade to a 6 plus, and mount it in front of my NAV system. But given the world as it is I am very happy with my snap-in adapter.

PS - Many thanks go out to MINIPartsMass (active on this forum) and MINI of the Main Line for excellent support through this process.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:49 AM
barmybee
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ljmiii
As some of you may have read from other threads getting the correct snap-in adapter for my iphone 5 has been something of a saga. My two pieces of advice if you are considering buying one are (1) DO NOT attempt to order one before you have your MINI in hand and (2) DO NOT consider anyone's opinion on adapter model number other than the vendor willing to ship one to you (and back up that purchase with a reasonable return policy). That said...

PROs - No bluetooth needed...so no hot phone. Also since I have heretofore always kept bluetooth turned off to preserve battery power not having to turn it on and off every time I drive my car is VERY nice. The antenna signal boost actually works - I reliably get an extra 'bar' in every location I've tested. The phone is nicely tucked away and won't fly about. And it is nicely hidden away from the prying eyes of over-vigilant police officers.

CONs - For the adapter itself the only downside is the price. But the real downside is the hideous complexity and counterintuitiveness of the whole MINI connected NAV/Music system. If I lived in a state that wasn't so wackadoodle about phones in cars I'd just chalk up my purchase of the MINI tech options to experience, upgrade to a 6 plus, and mount it in front of my NAV system. But given the world as it is I am very happy with my snap-in adapter.

PS - Many thanks go out to MINIPartsMass (active on this forum) and MINI of the Main Line for excellent support through this process.
Which adapter did you finally buy (Think theres 3 to choose from)
Roy

Old 03-01-2016, 06:41 AM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for the delay in replying. Tthe iPhone 5s adapter for my MINI was the 84.21-2 351 308-03

That said, I the real answer is to send your VIN to the dealer and see if they have the right BMW/MINI iPhone adapter in stock. I tried to jump the gun and order based on options chosen - since my VIN wasn't yet in their system - which was a spectacular failure.