Navigation & Audio I wish I hadn't bought the Nav (GPS) w/my 2015 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:57 AM
Munkee
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I wish I hadn't bought the Nav (GPS) w/my 2015 MINI

Purchased my 2015 MINI with the Nav - only to learn after it arrived that the Nav doesn't give you speed limit info like every other Navi/GPS does.

Turns out that to get the speed limit alert feature, one has to purchase the camera/back up system for $$$ more. The salesman totally misrepresented the Nav/GPS capability when the car was ordered.

My question now is; can I get an aftermarket Navi/GPS software upgrade so I can get this functionality thru the MINI center console display?

The MINI is a US spec model but I live in Germany for now and the speed limit change so frequently that this feature is a MUST have to avoid the speed camera tickets.

Thx!

Old 04-16-2015, 01:39 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Munkee
Purchased my 2015 MINI with the Nav - only to learn after it arrived that the Nav doesn't give you speed limit info like every other Navi/GPS does.

Turns out that to get the speed limit alert feature, one has to purchase the camera/back up system for $$$ more. The salesman totally misrepresented the Nav/GPS capability when the car was ordered.

My question now is; can I get an aftermarket Navi/GPS software upgrade so I can get this functionality thru the MINI center console display?

The MINI is a US spec model but I live in Germany for now and the speed limit change so frequently that this feature is a MUST have to avoid the speed camera tickets.

Thx!
Partly right - the speed limit feature is not part of the rearview/backup packages, but the Active Driver Assistant package which uses a front facing camera for speed limit info, pedestrian/collision detection, active cruise control, and automatic high beams. Without that package from the factory, there is no way to retrofit the speed limit detection.

However, if your MINI is a US spec car, the camera wouldn't recognize European signs anyway. Do you have the European maps loaded on your car? Either way, there is no way to retrofit that feature.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:57 PM
sanredrose
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@sirius zero

In build my car section, i can't seem to find an option called "Active driver assistance". Is this part of the Wired XL package ? How do we find more details about the various options in the card ?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:12 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sanredrose
@sirius zero

In build my car section, i can't seem to find an option called "Active driver assistance". Is this part of the Wired XL package ? How do we find more details about the various options in the card ?
It's not on the configurator, but it has been available since last September/October. It's a $1000 standalone option and includes the distance based cruise control, collision/pedestrian detection with limited braking, automatic high beams, and speed limit info. The Fully Loaded package is the prerequisite.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:02 PM
HZBJCW
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or just use Waze. It has speed warning specific to the road you are on, has traffic jam auto re-routeing and the app is free.

You can set a hard speed warning in idrive but it won't be specific to the road you are on.