Navigation & Audio USB stick keeps repeating same folder

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Wombat Pie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB stick keeps repeating same folder

I have just purchased a Mini with Navigation and Harman Kardon sound system.

But I am having a problem using a USB stick.

On the root directory is a folder called MINI01 and within this folder are all the folders named after the various artists/albums.

When I select the USB option with the joystick I see the MINI01 folder, but nothing else. I select this folder and it plays the first album over and over, never switching to the others.

Also repeated using 2 other sticks in the same format.

The CD player is happy to switch folders for my MP3's.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Wombat Pie; 09-28-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:44 PM
axsys
2nd Gear
Do you know what file system the USB stick is formatted in?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Wombat Pie
Neutral
Originally Posted by axsys
Do you know what file system the USB stick is formatted in?
Not really. Just stuck it into the PC and dragged across the folders. I assume FAT32 (or whatever is the PC default), but then I am not a computer expert.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 PM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wombat Pie
Not really. Just stuck it into the PC and dragged across the folders. I assume FAT32 (or whatever is the PC default), but then I am not a computer expert.
On a PC, the default is FAT32. Mine (with H/K sound system but without nav.) does the same thing, simply repeating the same folder until I switch it to another one. I haven't found a way around it.

It quickly gets really annoying on a long trip, having to keep looking down to navigate through folders.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:04 AM
Wombat Pie
Neutral
I have even tried putting all the artist/album folders into the root folder on the USB. Same problem. Only the first album plays over and over.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:12 AM
ChuxBiz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KeyPlayaJim
On a PC, the default is FAT32. Mine (with H/K sound system but without nav.) does the same thing, simply repeating the same folder until I switch it to another one. I haven't found a way around it.

It quickly gets really annoying on a long trip, having to keep looking down to navigate through folders.
My '13 R-58 has H/K and Connected, no Nav and it does the same. I've not found a way to get it to change folders without my intervention. As you say, really annoying!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Kevdog
2nd Gear
Try this!

I have a guess for the reason everyone has been having problems - playlists. I have been having NO PROBLEMS randomly playing songs from my USB drive, until today. I copied over a new CD I purchased, and forgot to do one thing...remove the playlist. I think most programs add a playlist during the ripping process. Each folder should only have the song files and not the other files. (Maybe with Connected/NAV a JPEG cover would be OK).

My program adds a .m3U file to each ripped cd's folder. After I drag and drop a folder, I have to remember to get rid of the junk, and ONLY have the song files. If I remember correctly, Itunes has about 3 junk files, and they are hidden (you have to display hidden files).

Here is the quick check I do after adding new music to my USB. I press "LIST". If ANYTHING besides "Empty List" is displayed, you have playlists which are messing you up. Today, I pressed LIST and saw the new CD I added. I also pressed DIR (which should normally show all my ripped CDs by artist in alphabetical order), but I only saw that one new CD! Also I could not randomly play outside of that CD. That sounds almost exactly like the problems all of you are experiencing.

My USB drive settings in the car are: ART checked and RND checked. With this setting, ANY song out of ANY folder gets randomly played. Also as expected, manually selecting the next track randomly selects a new track. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do this with Connected/NAV.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:00 PM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevdog
I have a guess for the reason everyone has been having problems - playlists.
Good thought, but there are no playlists on my flash drive.