Navigation & Audio Focal Subwoofer?

Old 01-13-2015, 02:44 PM
gremlin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Focal Subwoofer?

Has anyone looked into seeing if this Focal Sub made specifically for BMW 1, 3's and X1s might fit? http://focal-america.com/product/ifbmw-sub/

Curious.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:43 PM
osinkboy
2nd Gear
im curious as well!

Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 PM
jkline
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget these:
http://www.earthquakesound.eu/car-au...rs/sws-8x.aspx

Less than 1/3 the cost.

Drop in replacement (almost) for the stock 6.5" under seat bass drivers.
Some minor modifications to the enclosure were necessary to get the speaker to sit flush. The opening needed about 1/8" trimmed off. Screw holes lined up perfectly.

2013 Countryman S
Non-HK sound system

Attached Thumbnails Focal Subwoofer?-before-and-after.jpg   Focal Subwoofer?-no-clearance-issues.jpg   Focal Subwoofer?-earthquake-8-inch.jpg  
Old 02-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Kristof
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm....I want more Bass in my Clubman. Something like this would be interesting I think.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:12 AM
jkline
1st Gear
Worth it in my opnion

I can only speak for the non-HK stock Mini boost system. I have not heard the HK system. Not sure if my experience is more related to the new drivers or the new amp, I did them at the same time, but If I had to guess it's the speakers. I am seriously contemplating not installing a sub-woofer. I have a 12" Kicker in my other car and love it, but I am not feeling the need in the Countryman. So to answer your question, if you have the stock sound system, the speaker upgrade is very noticeable.

I basically did what Audiofile-Incar specs:
http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/ind...=65&Itemid=103

Old 02-27-2015, 12:06 PM
osinkboy
2nd Gear
jkline,

Thanks for the link to the speakers! I've upgraded my non-HK countryman with the focals on each door, but haven't attempted the floor speakers yet. I didn't bother adding an amp to my car yet either. Just a pure speaker swap..

Do you think these sws-8x will work fine without adding an amp? I know its optimal to add an amp, but I just don't want to!

And also, is it that important that the speaker sits flush? Being that its under the seat, does it affect anything?

thanks!

Originally Posted by jkline
I can only speak for the non-HK stock Mini boost system. I have not heard the HK system. Not sure if my experience is more related to the new drivers or the new amp, I did them at the same time, but If I had to guess it's the speakers. I am seriously contemplating not installing a sub-woofer. I have a 12" Kicker in my other car and love it, but I am not feeling the need in the Countryman. So to answer your question, if you have the stock sound system, the speaker upgrade is very noticeable.

I basically did what Audiofile-Incar specs:
http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/ind...=65&Itemid=103

Old 02-27-2015, 02:03 PM
jkline
1st Gear
Osinkboy.

I am sure just replacing the speakers will result in an improvement, but as you say, the amp really lets them shine. Most of the power of the HU goes to driving the bass drivers, and the stock radio is notoriously underpowered.
You could do the drivers first and then add the amp later, but once you have the seats out and the drivers removed, integrating the amp is relatively straightforward.
As far as getting the drivers to sit flush in the enclosure, making a good acoustic seal is important for the design. In addition the enclosure uses the door channel cavity as a resonance chamber. Without a good seal this would be compromised. The time and effort you would make to get a good seal with the resultant gap is equivalent to the trimming that would make them flush IMO. In any speaker design (especially bass drivers) it is important that the acoustic space in front of and in back of the driver are as isolated as possible. Also the SWS-8X lists the driver excursion as 1 1/2". The 1/4 " of clearance you would lose might result in the driver hitting the grille.
Maybe more of an answer than you were looking for, but I know a few things.

Attached Thumbnails Focal Subwoofer?-trimming-closeup.jpg   Focal Subwoofer?-wo-grille.jpg  

Last edited by jkline; 02-27-2015 at 02:13 PM. Reason: add photo