Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 08:13 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoeboy
I'll be patiently waiting...
Your lucky day - they are now in stock. Email me directly and we'll get you set up.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:07 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
So I've been looking through the pages about the 2 different DICE kits (Radio vs. Trunk) and I haven't been able to figure out any difference between the two. The only difference I did see on the pages was that "Models Supprted" information on the radio kit page said "2002-2006 Mini Cooper/Cooper S wtih Boost system (CD)" while the same block on the trunk kit page said "2002-2006 Mini Cooper/Cooper S".

So what are the differences?

Also there is no mention of what is included in the kit. Does the kit include just the DICE module and wiring to hook to the head unit? Do I need to buy a cable to run from the DICE module to my iPod separately?

Old 01-27-2007, 07:22 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom, for what it's worth, my Nano seems to be working fine again. I had a spell wherein it would play one song and then completely lock up. It was most annoying -- I'd have to wait until the battery was kaput before I could bring it back online.

I'm more careful now about how / when I plug it in. I either plug it in before the car is started, or when the radio is off. Seems to make a difference.

So, add me to the column of "happy owners."

Old 01-27-2007, 10:50 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
So I've been looking through the pages about the 2 different DICE kits (Radio vs. Trunk) and I haven't been able to figure out any difference between the two. The only difference I did see on the pages was that "Models Supprted" information on the radio kit page said "2002-2006 Mini Cooper/Cooper S wtih Boost system (CD)" while the same block on the trunk kit page said "2002-2006 Mini Cooper/Cooper S".

So what are the differences?

Also there is no mention of what is included in the kit. Does the kit include just the DICE module and wiring to hook to the head unit? Do I need to buy a cable to run from the DICE module to my iPod separately?
There is no difference between the kits other than connectivity, the radio interface kit eliminates the need of running the cable from the boot area.

No additional pieces are needed, this will include everything you need with the exception of a MINI and an iPod.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:33 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
I haven't had a chance to see this beforehand - but we have a MCS w/ NAV scheduled this weekend for datalogging so we can determine the source of the problem.

I'll keep the thread updated with our findings.
ANy update on this? Seems many have promised but none delivered so far.

Integration with the Nav seems to be Mission Impossible.

Paul

Old 01-27-2007, 11:41 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by pcnorton
ANy update on this? Seems many have promised but none delivered so far.

Integration with the Nav seems to be Mission Impossible.

Paul
We were able to test slightly yesterday, unfortunately the vehicle was the incorrect model we needed for testing (SV47 on radio). We've rescheduled in the meantime and should perform datalogging in 2 weeks to find a problem.

In the meantime, we have seen the behavior and know what to expect.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:54 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
There is no difference between the kits other than connectivity, the radio interface kit eliminates the need of running the cable from the boot area.

No additional pieces are needed, this will include everything you need with the exception of a MINI and an iPod.
Thanks for the info.
Now a matter of rationalizing a purchase...

Old 01-27-2007, 05:57 PM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
I'll stay tuned to this thread for updates. I have the ICE Link Plus versoin 2B4 and the text feature on the NAV system is awful. I'm running with No Text. I want Text on the NAV screen and willing to switch out to the DICE but only if I know it's going to resolve the NAV text issues.

Also, combing in the DICE, with a Video solution for my IPOD Video would be nice to have with the NAV screen.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:12 PM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
Hey Gang, I drove up to LA from SD yesterday to work with Tom on the DICE with NAV. We own two minis, an 05 MCSC/Nav and an 06JCW. Tom thought my 06 had NAV but I brought the 05 which had the older rev on the radio.

So I'm in the process of negotiating with my wife to swap her 06 head into my 05 NAV to go back up to DICE. So send good thoughts her way!

Old 01-27-2007, 06:22 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by MacGuruTX
Hey Gang, I drove up to LA from SD yesterday to work with Tom on the DICE with NAV. We own two minis, an 05 MCSC/Nav and an 06JCW. Tom thought my 06 had NAV but I brought the 05 which had the older rev on the radio.

So I'm in the process of negotiating with my wife to swap her 06 head into my 05 NAV to go back up to DICE. So send good thoughts her way!
Let me know how that goes! Also, thanks for allowing use of your MINI yesterday.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:09 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Oh yeah, another quick one based off of that. How long is the HU to DICE cable in the radio kit? I don't want to jam the interface box behind the radio if I don't have to.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:39 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Oh yeah, another quick one based off of that. How long is the HU to DICE cable in the radio kit? I don't want to jam the interface box behind the radio if I don't have to.
About 18" - you have plenty of cable length and room behind the radio.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:04 PM
PetesPepperWhite
2nd Gear
I have ordered an 07 Cabrio and I'm thinking of ordering the DICE kit. I've read that some cabrios do not come prewired for the CD changer. Do you know if this applies to the 07? I notice you sell a kit to deal with this issue, and I wonder how difficult an install that is, if I should need it. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:06 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by PetesPepperWhite
I have ordered an 07 Cabrio and I'm thinking of ordering the DICE kit. I've read that some cabrios do not come prewired for the CD changer. Do you know if this applies to the 07? I notice you sell a kit to deal with this issue, and I wonder how difficult an install that is, if I should need it. Thanks.
The MY07s are using MOST Fiber optics, the DICE will not be compatible with this MINI. Hopefully, we will have a kit soon.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:30 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by PetesPepperWhite
The MY07s are using MOST Fiber optics, the DICE will not be compatible with this MINI. Hopefully, we will have a kit soon.
I'm pretty sure there isn't any overhaul to the 07 convertible's electronics and stereo system. The convertible should be staying the same compared to the previous year.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:25 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
I'm pretty sure there isn't any overhaul to the 07 convertible's electronics and stereo system. The convertible should be staying the same compared to the previous year.

I believe you're right. Another NAM member has verified that the CD harness is still included in the 07 convertible's boot in this thread.

Phil

Old 02-03-2007, 08:34 PM
MINI-IZED
2nd Gear
HD DICE iPod integration

I have a few questions about the HD Dice ipod integration kit.
1. Is it controlled by adjusting the AM and FM channels or is it controlled through the Dice unit via the CD connector?
2. Will it pick up other channels that the OEM stereo will not get?
3. Is the HD unit bigger than the non-HD interface, if so how much bigger?
4. Does it show more text than the OEM MINI unit?
5. Opinion: is it really better than the current AM and FM broadcasts?

Old 02-04-2007, 01:40 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by MINI-IZED
I have a few questions about the HD Dice ipod integration kit.
1. Is it controlled by adjusting the AM and FM channels or is it controlled through the Dice unit via the CD connector?
2. Will it pick up other channels that the OEM stereo will not get?
3. Is the HD unit bigger than the non-HD interface, if so how much bigger?
4. Does it show more text than the OEM MINI unit?
5. Opinion: is it really better than the current AM and FM broadcasts?
1. The radio tuner is integrated into the DICE tuner, so you are working through the DICE interface. The look and feel is just like your OEM tuner.

2. Correct, if a specific station is broadcasting in HD, you will receive that station in HD-quality. This also goes for HD2, HD3, etc, or often heard of as "hidden stations".

3. The HD DICE is about 9"x3"x3', the standard DICE is equivalent to a deck of cards.

4. The iPod interface is exactly the same between the HD DICE and Standard DICE. The HD DICE will show the station information, along with artist and song infomation in HD mode.

5. Much better than AM/FM and Satellite. HDAM broadcasts are heard in FM quality sound, while HDFM are CD Quality.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:26 PM
101dals
2nd Gear
Tom, how long is the cable that runs from the ipod connector to the dice unit? I think I saw it in one of your posts in the past but can't find it anymore. I was hoping to mount the ipod in my arm rest if possible.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:31 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by 101dals
Tom, how long is the cable that runs from the ipod connector to the dice unit? I think I saw it in one of your posts in the past but can't find it anymore. I was hoping to mount the ipod in my arm rest if possible.
With the trunk interface kit, total cable length is 15 feet. Radio interface kits are 4.5 feet total.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM
101dals
2nd Gear
With the trunk interface kit, total cable length is 15 feet. Radio interface kits are 4.5 feet total.
Oh, I was trying to find out the length from the dice module to the plug for the ipod, not the total length. I want to mount the dice module behind the dash and maybe run the cable to the armrest to hide the ipod there if the length allows. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:13 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by 101dals
Oh, I was trying to find out the length from the dice module to the plug for the ipod, not the total length. I want to mount the dice module behind the dash and maybe run the cable to the armrest to hide the ipod there if the length allows. Thanks.
iPod cables are 36" total.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:26 PM
101dals
2nd Gear
iPod cables are 36" total.
Tom, is it possible to order a longer length of this stretch of cable (or even splice in a little bit more cable)? Not sure if 36" would be long enough. Might have to look into a different way of routing cable if it isn't....

Thanks again!

Old 02-07-2007, 07:29 AM
sranderle
3rd Gear
Any ideas why my dice adapter worked fine on the way home last night, but the HU doesn't recognize it this morning?

Old 02-07-2007, 09:36 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by sranderle
Any ideas why my dice adapter worked fine on the way home last night, but the HU doesn't recognize it this morning?
What type of kit are you using, a trunk interface or radio interface?

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread