Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio How to: Upgrade sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Keath n STL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,
I'm looking for some help and advice and I am not real sure where to start. Please direct me to another area if this is not the right place.

I have a 03 Mini (non S) with just about 100,000 miles of great fun on it. It is a great car! OEM non H/K (i think) the owners manual says "Boost CD", the sticker shows it as "anti-theft CD audio system". So pretty basic I think, but I really enjoyed it and it sounds pretty good.

The problem - several weeks ago I left the sun roof cracked open and we had a really big rain out of nowhere. when I got to the car it was obviosly wet inside and quite a bit of water to the dash. Immediatly I was getting some not to nice static and poping from the radio. The wierdest thing is I could not turn it off. I got it home and parked it in the garage with the windows down and let it air out over the weekend. For a little while after that it would work but when I would turn the car off, compleley, there would be this extreamly high pitched squeal coming from the right front speaker, loud. When I get and start out all goes okay , with the exception that there is no sound coming from the right front speakers, but, for no particular reason the squeal, really loud, will just start. Whatever I am listening to will stop playing and the squeal will start from the right front speaker. And I can't stop it by turning the radio off, it keeps on until I turn the car completely off. Sometimes even with the car completely off, I mean keys out, it continues, loud.

Okay, I realize that it is probably not going to get any better. But I am not sure what to do about it. I don't want to go to the dealer and I don't want to go to the car audio places. If I need to I will. I don't mind if I need to buy a new Head Unit, etc. but I want to know what I need to replace and not be
"sold" something just because it is earth shattering loud.

Any diagnosis of my problem or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Keath n STL; 07-07-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 PM
subject6m3
2nd Gear
well, if i was in your position i would just upgrade the sound system anyways.. it is possible that there is still moisture still in the h/u causing all that bad stuff. but in most cases where electronics get wet, they are ruined.
the main thing i would replace is the head unit. you can do either of 2 things.
1. just replace the h/u with another oem part.
2. buy an aftermarket h/u and put it in.

another thing is, if the speakers got wet then you probly need to replace those aswell.. even if they didnt get wet, if it is as loud as you say it is then the noise could damage the speakers aswell...
that is my input there could be other ways around it but that is what i would do.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 PM
4th Gear
*snip*

Old 11-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Buffettbassman
1st Gear
Touch screen DVD/Nav

Anyone installed a DVD Nav in place of the stock radio HU? Does it clear the cup holder on the down tube?

Really hate to give up that cup holder...

Old 12-06-2008, 08:47 PM
MerchoMini
4th Gear
gotta question for you, when you wired in the new headunit what fuse did you run the 12v constant to? My radio randomly stopped working so we put an after market radio in and got it to work with one fuse but then it would not turn off when the car turned off. It was one of the radio fuses, 15 amp, none of the others i tried worked. I think there may be some fishy wiring some where and im just trying to by pass it.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:01 AM
laradams
1st Gear
sorry to but in, but I'm looking for a stock h/k amplifier for my 2004. If anyone has one they are looking to get rid of, please make an offer.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:05 PM
matt376
1st Gear
In regards to the wiring diagram for the HK receiver, does anyone know if

1) Is the pin labeled "#14 - Illumination", the "dimmer"?
2) Is the pin labeled "#16 - Accessory", the "ignition switch"? (as in power supplied when the key is in the accessory position)

I am in the process of upgrading my entire set up and this would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
ittle85
2nd Gear
Hey there this is great...I have a question though When you say cut wires for the aftermarket hu you dont have to do that if you buy that wire connection that is sold seperatly right?

And...I have the dice link for the ipod connected, if i change the hu will i still experience a change in sound although i always use the ipod??
Should i bother with the headunit?

thanks

Old 02-01-2009, 12:17 PM
HHFD633
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone have the wiring harness numbers to replace the stock head unit and where did u get them. cant find them local. also do u need a antenna adapter.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Fizzyx
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HHFD633
anyone have the wiring harness numbers to replace the stock head unit and where did u get them. cant find them local. also do u need a antenna adapter.
I just pulled the factory deck out and it looks like an antenna adapter is needed. Done several installs in my time and this is the first I've seen this so I am at a loss at to where to get one.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:15 AM
ltphoto
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fizzyx
I just pulled the factory deck out and it looks like an antenna adapter is needed. Done several installs in my time and this is the first I've seen this so I am at a loss at to where to get one.
Try here: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040EU...r.html?tp=2569. I've found Crutchfield pretty reliable for coming up with just about any adapters needed for an install on any car.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Jason987
Neutral
My H/K amplifier went out a few weeks ago and now I'm forced into getting a new sound system even though I was already happy with it. The only thing I found lacking was the stereo itself as the speakers are rather high quality. What I'm most curious about is how to remove this amplifier as I'm told I will have to and if everyone is 100% positive that the speakers can't be used.

EDIT: I have confirmed that this is true and that I will have to completely re-run the wires. Is there a guide anywhere explaining the easiest way to do so? Also, for resale value of the speakers to other mini owners what precautions would I have to take.

Last edited by Jason987; 03-09-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Volker
4th Gear
Jason,
you might want to take a look here
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...questions.html
I think the catch with the speakers is that they are 2 Ohm, while most 4 channel amps are 4 Ohm. But in this thread he decribes what he did to make it possible.
HTH,
Volker

Old 03-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Jason987
Neutral
Great thread, thank you for the link.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:46 AM
tarmac
Neutral
Originally Posted by Jason987
Great thread, thank you for the link.
I agree, this is an excellent thread.
I'm a first time poster and have a really stupid question to ask: Do you need to disconnect the battery before installing the head unit? If so, how do you go about doing this?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 AM
mattymini
1st Gear
This is a great thread, and I have a very basic question. Last night I bought my first Mini ('04 non-S, Black with black top...very sexy). Anyway, it's got the basic stereo package, and I'm hoping to install my sirius unit to it this weekend. Currently, I have my sirius unit connected to a pioneer headunit on my Nissan (which I'm selling) by RCA cables. I doubt I'll have that option here, so what can I do? Something that would also allow me to hook up my iphone and ipod would be great as well. If you need any info on the car, please just ask.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:13 AM
fiasco102
Neutral
i used to have 2 15"s in my mini.. haha

Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Cudda_Kine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fiasco102
i used to have 2 15"s in my mini.. haha

How do you fit a 0 gauge in a r50, to the battery in the front of the car.?

Last edited by Cudda_Kine; 08-17-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Billjpb19
Neutral
Stearing Wheel Controls to Head unit.

What do I need to do to upgrade the head unit without disconnecting the controls on the steering wheel?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:59 AM
trinigladiator
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All great posts. Any recommendations for upgrading the '09 Premium stereo. Crutchfield seems to reference the base install only. It lacks oomf in the base, and for some reason my front tweeters in the A pillar seem to rattle when I play music or use the phone. I can put my hand on the speaker grill to stop the rattling but obviously that's not the ideal position for driving.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Seancusmc
2nd Gear
In your case (for the rattling speakers) it sounds like you need to run down to the store and pic something up. Most car audio places will carry it, Its a foam adhesive strip. you simply remove your door panels, unscrew your speakers and apply the strip to either the back of the speakers or the edge of the cutout where the speakers are mounted to and reinstall everything.
THe foam will act as a cushion between the speakers and the speakers and the door and eliminate that rattling.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 PM
spike33
1st Gear
any news on sound system upgrade?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:37 PM
trinigladiator
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never followed through on Crutchfield. I figured it's not worth spending the money since I had already bought the upgraded HiFi factory stereo.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:29 AM
PinesMini
2nd Gear
Wow Thanks for the thread great job man!!!!

took it all apart and notice I need adapter to fit 6.5" front door speakers. lol

Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Billjpb19
What do I need to do to upgrade the head unit without disconnecting the controls on the steering wheel?
You can find harnesses, but it depends on your head unit. For example, the PAC SWI-JACK works for most upgraded Alpine head units and 2006 MINIs, http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=29 .

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio How to: Upgrade sound system