Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Crossover location

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:04 PM
doug4442
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossover location

I've pretty much decided to replace my stock (non HK) speakers with Boston Acoustic S60 and S95 speakers.

The S60's in the front have seperate crossovers. I've read all the threads I can find here on mounting the crossovers and it appears that everyone is mounting them in the door. I'm afraid of the potential moisture in that location.

Has anyone mounted them under the dash? If so do you have any pictures of the location?

It would mean threading additional wires to the tweaters. Is it possible to feed any through the existing wiring harness going to the door?

Does anyone have another way of mounting the crossovers somewhere dry where it would be easy to get the extra wires to the speakers?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Greg S
3rd Gear
Both of mine are up in the dash and they fit fine. Sorry no pics though. You'll need to pull the glovebox to fit the passenger side and drop the lower dash on the driver's side, but it's pretty easy to do that and then you'll find lots of room to work with, I have a set of large Pioneer Premier crossovers in there with room to spare. You won't need to run new wires as the factory lines are split in the kick panel area before they go through to the door. Didn't need it for mine as I wasn't using the stock tweeter location but they are there.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 AM
doug4442
1st Gear
That's great news....... but I'm confused on the wires splitting before they go through the door. Why are they split? Where do they go? Do you remember the color code of the wires?

Old 12-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
doug, I posted on this several times in your other thread (where you asked about the H/K system), but I never saw a reply...

Have you given serious consideration to the DPSM system? You're definitely a good candidate.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:53 PM
doug4442
1st Gear
I keep seeing this term DPSM, but I don't know what it is. My system by the way is stock, ie not HK.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:09 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
DPSM (Digital Power Sound Modul) is an audio offering from MINI that's above both the stock and H/K systems. Basically, it's a set of replacement speakers and a ~320WRMS digital-switching amplifier.

The DPSM is only designed to be ordered with the car from the factory, or performed as an upgrade to the *stock* stereo. As Edge has found out, installing the DPSM in a car that already has the H/K system is a redass of epic/mythic proportions, both in terms of time and cost.

The advantage to the DPSM over aftermarket is that it can be ordered/installed by any MINI dealer, and you get the full OEM warranty with it (two years or until the factory warranty on your MINI expires, whichever is longer).

I personally believe that you can get more for your money by going with an aftermarket system, but unless you have a shop that you can trust and that will warranty the equipment/installation, the DPSM is probably a better option if you just want to stroke a check and walk away with an excellent system.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:06 PM
doug4442
1st Gear
Thanks for the explanation Scott. It's probably a way beyond what I have in mind as an upgrade, but worth a consideration. I'll phone the dealer and get a price.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:08 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
DPSM (Digital Power Sound Modul) is an audio offering from MINI that's above both the stock and H/K systems. Basically, it's a set of replacement speakers and a ~320WRMS digital-switching amplifier.
Though I haven't heard this personally,I have been told that the sound quality in these is systems is excellent.

I personally believe that you can get more for your money by going with an aftermarket system, but unless you have a shop that you can trust and that will warranty the equipment/installation, the DPSM is probably a better option if you just want to stroke a check and walk away with an excellent system.[/
It should also be noted that DPSM are not cheap. The cost of parts is roughly $1600 or $1900 depending on if your in a hard top or cabrio respectively. Plus count on approx. $600 - $700 for install labor from the dealer. I have heard from other NAMers that you can get approx. 20% off by ordering mail order through certain dealers, but I haven't checked with my dealer if he would install & warranty the unit if I persued this avenue.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Yes, the DPSM it is not cheap, but it provides very high quality sound and "***-kicking" volume when you want it, it also fits perfectly in your MINI (after all it was designed for your MINI), is fully covered by the factory warranty (once installed).

Just like the H/K, it doesn't take up any additional interior space, which as you are well aware, is at a premium in our MINIs.

Put it this way - you were interested in the H/K. The DPSM is like the H/K on steroids... and only (realistically) available if you don't have the H/K... so you're a perfect candidate.

The cost of the kit is indeed $1,650 MSRP from dealers, but some dealers that discount heavily (i.e. 20%) will sell you the kit for $1,320.

Labor adds to the cost again, as the others have stated... but, some folks here (like 101101) here have done the install themselves, and have even posted a tutorial on how to do it. (to supplement the official install instructions, which are easily available for download)

So if you install it yourself, you could walk away with the system for $1,400... and yes, it will definitely give the aftermarket a run for its money.

Also, see this link, this link, this link and this link on MotoringFile.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:39 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Do you know if the system is covered by warranty if you install it yourself?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Greg S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by doug4442
That's great news....... but I'm confused on the wires splitting before they go through the door. Why are they split? Where do they go? Do you remember the color code of the wires?

Since there are two speakers in each door, woofer and tweeter, the single pair of lines from the radio have to be split before they get to the speakers. Fortunately MINI saw fit to do this inside the car instead of in the door so it makes adding a crossover inside the car easy to do and you don't have to run an extra set of wires in to the door. As for the color I don't remember, but it is the usual combination of brown, yellow and blue wires with various stripe colors that BMW has used for years.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:49 AM
doug4442
1st Gear
Thanks for all the help. It's great to get into a project like this with some knowledge of what to expect.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What does the split in the speakers wires look like? I want to know what I'm looking for under the dash.