Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Stereo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 11:15 PM
fix8ted
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Upgrade?

While I'm still enjoying the sound of my newly peepy engine thanks to Dinan S2 pkg, now my focus or should I say fixation is moving towards a stereo upgrade, confused again in how to go about it and will I still be able to use the functions of my steering wheel. (MFSW) I like the few samples that are out there like the enclosures made to fit a 6's instead of the 6x9's it's all good and it's also confusing the heck out of me, anyone - suggestions?

Old 08-13-2005, 08:09 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am very happy with the 6" subs installed in the rear 6x9 positions - I still have lots of trunk space. But I cannot make the neighbours windows vibrate like some cars that drive by

There are two ways to maintain the MFSW functions:
Some head units can have a wired remote interface that plugs in - mostly these are available in Europe and MikeyTheMINI is the very best person to consult for such ... see his thread on MINI2

If you have an IR remote, you can buy a "PAC SWI-X" which can be taught to mimic your IR remote and send appropriate codes to the head unit - the tricky part is positioning the IR LED so that it reliably sends codes to the head unit. See my weblog where I installed one in GBMINI#2

Old 08-13-2005, 10:02 AM
fix8ted
3rd Gear
Is the IR adapter reliable, as an alternative. Any hard wired head unit available state side?

Old 08-13-2005, 10:26 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Alpine 9851,9853, and 9855 are hard wire/mfsw steering wheel compatible.

I THINK the Pioneers, starting with the 4700s and up are too.

For other brands, check the mini link that Ian posted.

hs

Old 08-13-2005, 01:41 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fix8ted
Is the IR adapter reliable, as an alternative?
It worked well on my Kenwood HU, installed in the trim piece around the speedometer pointing down onto the HU - the HU front panel can be angled which probably helps too.
I have read people that install in the steering wheel area and it is reasonably OK; someone even installed down by the gear shifter and said it worked too.

The key is to get a good direct line-of-sight from the transmitter to the HU receiver. Short distance is good as it will be less affected by sunlight.

Old 08-13-2005, 03:35 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
Short distance is good as it will be less affected by sunlight.
Ian, I'm glad the IR Remote worked out on your Mini#2, but was that with or without a sunroof? Also, I've heard some complaints about lag in reaction time in some IR units. I'd want to know specifically WHICH units work satisfactorily on someone elses Mini before installing an IR Remote unit in mine.

Personally I'd only replace the oem radio with a hardwire connection to my mfsw.

hs

Old 08-13-2005, 03:39 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hugh
Ian, I'm glad the IR Remote worked out on your Mini#2, but was that with or without a sunroof? Also, I've heard some complaints about lag in reaction time in some IR units. I'd want to know specifically WHICH units work satisfactorily on someone elses Mini before installing an IR Remote unit in mine.
No sunroof. And as responsive as you would expect.

Of course the wired remote should give an always reliable connection, while the IR is only going to be as good as you can get the line-of-sight setup.

BTW: if anything my '05 with wired remote is less responsive - but I think it is due to the less responsive "rubber" button pad on the new three spoke steering wheel; sometimes you hit the button and nothing happens - nowhere near as nice design as the two spoke.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:02 PM
fix8ted
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
It worked well on my Kenwood HU, installed in the trim piece around the speedometer pointing down onto the HU - the HU front panel can be angled which probably helps too.
I have read people that install in the steering wheel area and it is reasonably OK; someone even installed down by the gear shifter and said it worked too.

The key is to get a good direct line-of-sight from the transmitter to the HU receiver. Short distance is good as it will be less affected by sunlight.
Is IR interface SWI-X the only way to go in the US?

Old 08-16-2005, 03:26 PM
hugh
5th Gear
In the US:

Alpine 9851, 9853, 9855 have provisions for hardwire interface; not ir.

I THINK the Pioneers 4700 and up also.

Also some Sonys

Check out the PAC website for the PAC-ALP and the PAC- PS

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/swi.htm

hs