Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio headrest LCD's, navwithtv, and PS2 install (pics and prices)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 08:19 PM
npartist
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headrest LCD's, navwithtv, and PS2 install (pics and prices)

Ok, i finally got to do what i've always wanted to do to my MINI! I know it isn't exactly needed but it is just sooooo cool. So anyways, here are the prices and parts that i bought. Feel free to ask away.

EDIT: http://www.navwithtv.com/product.asp?specific=jnnpomo0 video module (for nav to play PS2): $409 normally 499 but get it for 399 by saying i saw add on bimmerforums.com
new slim PS2 from best buy: $155
two logitech wireless controller (in mail right now) from ebay: $40
225watt power inverter from best buy: $55
two audivox lcm500np 5" widescreen headrest lcd's from local audio store: on sale for only $99 a piece!
two OEM leatherette headrest from classic mini (look in vendor directory): $125 for both
video signal amplifier (needed to go to three screens) from install shop: $50
high quality wires to go from battery to inverter (hardwired) from install shop: $30
TOTAL PARTS: about $1050
install at top notch audio shop (extreme audio in Grand Rapids, MI, I'm from georgia but up in MI for summer...GM intern): right at $400

TOTAL PRICE: $1450 which isn't too bad considering navtv.com sells JUST their video module for $1295...

As far as install goes here is how it works:
Video module plugs and play into nav computer under passenger seat (it fits beside nav computer in the nav computer housing, but if you get the one with tv tuner (aka the OEM video module) it is too big and has to be put like under driver seat). That has a switch that is mounted on my center console beside handbrake (on one of those little pop-off circle covers) which changes my nav source between normal and video (it plays in motion). The power intverter is hardwired to battery and has a built in on off switch. The wires are mainly going from under passenger seat, along passenger door trim to behind radio/glove box. The power cable goes back to battery and the driver lcd cables go over center hump. The video cable from PS2 is split into three at the video amp and one goes to video module and others two to headrest, this allows me seperate control of screens (ie i can have just one, two, or all three screens play video independantly). The audio cables from PS2 go over to my euro parcel shelf and plug into my aux input (have an adapter from RCA to headphone jack). I have to manually uplug ipod/PS2 cable to switch between the two but I am going to install a 3 way switch in the future to stop that. This means that my Nav commands still play will watching video and that i can have radio/ipod playing while watching ps2.

I have leather seats but there are no leather headrest in stock in all of US and Europe (according to Classic MINI) so I got the only two leatherette ones. I did not want to cut into my stock headrest as i did the install so that i can fairly easily go back to stock some day. The headrest color matches great but the leatherette does have a little more texture but you really can't tell unless you really look at it. The headrest screens have power buttons so they are off unless you turn them on and one can be on and not the other if you want.

The best thing about my install is the fact that everything is seperate and by that i mean the video and audio and screens. It allows me to play just sound or just video or both on one or all of my screens. The screen quality is very good. The nav screen is not as bright as the headrest ones (plus the headrest ones have adjustable brightness) but both have clear video.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Sweet setup! Congrats.

The link you've provided is bad though. I think it should be either www.navwithtv.com or www.tvandnav2go.com. No?

BTW, I just got a set of those same Logitech wireless controllers off of eBay for my PS2 install and they work great! Best $20 I've ever spent. The coolest thing about them is that they're RF and not IR. This means that they still work even if your PS2 is closed up in the glove box, located under the seat, etc. (as they don't require a direct line-of-site to function).

Also, how is the audio for the PS2 piped in with your setup? Does the video switch you received have an audio input or did you have to use a AUX input or BlitzSafe adapter?

Old 06-27-2005, 10:31 AM
npartist
4th Gear
i fixed that link. Navwithtv.com is the old site that has pic and price but the new site is navandtv2go.com, same company though. I know it is a long post but you have to read it all before asking questions . I say that the audio from ps2 goes through a simple cable adapter to the headphone plug which plugs into my aux input (i even posted a pic of it! ).

I read up on the logitech and heard the good reviews and bought them for the same reason you did. I am looking forward to no wires.

OfficeMaven, how is your sound hooked up? I get perfect sound quality through aux input (stereo), i know that the Navtv module is only mono.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:40 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by npartist
... I know it is a long post but you have to read it all before asking questions . I say that the audio from ps2 goes through a simple cable adapter to the headphone plug which plugs into my aux input (i even posted a pic of it! ). ...
D'oh! My bad. Sorry about that.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:07 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Wow! to get the parts needed to have the tv tuner and such is expensive . I mean yah if I want that stock look I can pay all this.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:21 AM
npartist
4th Gear
yeah, its not cheap, but when i was looking at paying $1295 for just the tv tuner for the nav screen, this was relatively cheap. But if you don't have Nav or don't want video on nav, take off about $500 from the price. And you can take off another 150 or so if you use your stock headrest.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:32 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Well for the parts from this company to just have tv and dvd on the navi screen the price is high. I'm not worried about doing the headrests. Either way, I guess to have it look and function right its gonna cost alot.

I do have the stock Navi.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:39 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
agred