Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Aux keep cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:33 AM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux keep cutting out.

Having a problem with my aux. input. I have a stock HU (non HK). I bought the aux. cable from my dealer. Reached around back and plugged it in. Easy.

I am using a SkiFi XM unit. Sounds great.

However, the aux mode will work if the unit is cold, but only for 5 or 10 minutes, and then it cuts out. Using the mode button only shows the FM and CD. The next day the aux is back but again cuts out after a short time.

Rather than mess with it, I took it to the dealer. I told them I installed it myself and was having problems. My dealer took a look and said I had not done anything wrong and the HU was bad. They changed out the HU and I was on my way.

10 minutes later, the aux cuts out as before.

I suppose it might be the cable, I tried to remove it at lunch today, but it must have a barb lock and will not unplug.

I am about to throw in the towel and go to an FM modulator but thought I would post here to see what everyone thinks.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:45 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A number of AUX cables seem to be bad. Have it replaced. I did and no problems since.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First try plugging something other than your XM into it. An iPod or a disc player, anything with a stereo headphone jack. Play this through the aux for a while and see if the same thing happens. If it doesnt, chances are that your XM might be putting out a steady DC voltage on it's output in error. This can cause the aux to 'disappear' from the headunit inputs. If it plays normally with the new source for a while then cuts out, the aux cable is at fault. The aux is not simply a cable, it has an embedded circuit board in it near the jack end. That's the 'bulge' in the cable. This contains parts that can cause intermittents if they are indeed bad.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Marc@Blitzsafe
2nd Gear
First off, why would the monkeys at the dealer swap the headunit before swapping the interface? While they had the radio out, they should have tried that first. There could be a problem with the SkyFi over driving the aux board. I would try lowering the volume on the SkyFi. If it helps, and the aux doesn't cut out again then bingo!!! If you still have the problem, then you have a bad cable.

On a different note, we will have an interface to allow the SkyFi unit to act as a slave and be controlled thru the headunit. You will receive all the artist and song title info over the radio display. Thats our SkyLink Direct Cradle. You will need the car specific cable, in this case our BMW/XM SLD 01. The cradle will be available in June.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:52 PM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
Thanks for the response. Actually the aux will now cut out with no load (XM off).

I must admit that the level of the XM unit was originally set high. Hope I did not fry the HU.

I am torn between getting another cable an hoping it was that, or playing it safe and using a modulator until the Cradle comes out in June.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Marc@Blitzsafe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
Thanks for the response. Actually the aux will now cut out with no load (XM off).

I must admit that the level of the XM unit was originally set high. Hope I did not fry the HU.

I am torn between getting another cable an hoping it was that, or playing it safe and using a modulator until the Cradle comes out in June.
If BMW is like VW, all of the accessories carry a 12 month warranty. I would take it back to them and have them exchange it. When you get the new one, just make sure you turn the volume a little bit lower .

Old 05-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Pamlico
3rd Gear
Speaking from experience, if the portion of the cable that is soldered to the rear of the AUX female jack (covered in heat shrink tubing) is bent it is possible that the connection can be disrupted. I had symptoms somewhat similar to yours and ended up replacing the cable and all has been fine.

The end of the AUX cable that inserts into the radio is snap locked into the jack but can be removed. There is a small latch in the middle of the plug that needs to be pressed down while pulling back on the plug.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Doenut_1
1st Gear
I've been having the same problem. I installed the AUX this past Saturaday. Worked good until today. It just cut off on my drive to work. Really makes me mad . I was hoping that someone had some advice but I bought my unit over the internet. Really bits the big one. Maybe it was just a one day thing. I will take it apart tonight to see what the problem is.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
I am still screwing around with this. I first thought the line level was the problem, but now I think, as suggested above, the Aux cable itself is bad. I have ordered another from Outmotoring and will post if I ever figure this out.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Doenut_1
1st Gear
Please tell me if it works. I may need to do the same thing.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:44 AM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
Got the the cable from Outmotoring. Worked for a day. Then the aux. cutout again.

That's;

Two HU's.
Three cables.
Two different SkiFi units.
Line level set as low a possible.

I give up, throwing in the towel, The radio seems to work well enough so I am going out an getting the FM modulator.

Oh well, other than that, my cars been perfect. :smile:

Old 05-23-2005, 05:24 AM
Doenut_1
1st Gear
I have found when you turn off your car switch from AUX to something else make sure that the iPod or what ever is still hooked up. Then when you turn your car on make sure you have what ever hooked up and then change to AUX. I only had trouble with mine once ever since I have done this I have not had a single problem. It may not work it may just be my wish full thinking but try it. What do you have to lose at this point.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Marc@Blitzsafe
2nd Gear
If everyone is still having an issue with the aux from Mini, try our BMW/AUX DMX V.1. Our aux. interface has never had an issue like that. Anyone having an issue with the aux cable from MINI, let me know and I can see what kind of a deal I can whip up.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:20 AM
uptick
2nd Gear
I TOO am currently experiencing a problem where the AUX mode on the stock '05 CD headunit (no Harman Kardon) works selectively depending on the source I plug into the AUX input, which was installed by the dealer. AUX mode works fine when I use my iPod connected via the Belkin Auto-charger line-out. It stops working when I plug in my XM SkyFi2 tuner connected via its car dock. For some reason, the headunit consistently and automatically switches out of the AUX mode after 1-2 seconds upon switching the source to the XM tuner, and then it refuses to cycle back to AUX mode (it only gives me radio and CD modes). If I unplug the XM tuner, the AUX mode becomes available again.

As far as I know, there is nothing faulty with the XM tuner, since it works perfectly with the AUX input on my '03 stock headunit (w/HK - in other MINI). I am using the same exact mini-stereo cable with the iPod and the XM tuner; I just switch the source end when I want to go from iPod to XM. Somehow, I suspect the new headunit senses something with the AUX feed and then deactivates the AUX mode when XM is plugged in.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Old 06-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Philpug
2nd Gear
Lola is having the same issues with her Aux input. Strange.

Old 06-05-2005, 03:47 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
I am having the same issue. I have my xm radio hooked up to it and it will play for a minute or less and then switch over to the radio. I have hooked up another audio source to it and all seems fine. I know my xm radio is not the issue as it has played fine in other cars. Could this be the aux adaptor?

Garrett

Old 06-05-2005, 04:22 PM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
I am on my third XM skifi. A new Skifi II with the built in modulator. What is interesting is that, as time go by, the aux seems to be cutting out less. Sure it is often not there, then suddenly appears and then stays around for a day or two. I have the radio set to take over when it cuts out so it's not too big a deal.

I have the standard radio (non HK) and am wondering if those of you having problem have the same unit?

Anyway, I have decided to delude myself into thinking that each day it works better than the day before.

I predict that by July, the aux will be working 100%

Old 06-06-2005, 08:46 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
How do you disable the feature so the radio does not take over? I am going to call the dealer up and take it to them today to have them look at it. This is not acceptable for a brand new car. You say your on your third xm radio? Is this due to the thing cutting out or you just wanted to upgrade?

Garrett

Old 06-06-2005, 09:53 AM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by garretwp
How do you disable the feature so the radio does not take over? I am going to call the dealer up and take it to them today to have them look at it. This is not acceptable for a brand new car. You say your on your third xm radio? Is this due to the thing cutting out or you just wanted to upgrade?

Garrett
My wife and I both had the SkiFi I units. Tried both with the same result. The orginial SkiFi's did not have the internal modulator, rather a seperate box. These modulator's plugged directly into the antenna and work well, but the MINI uses a different antenna connection.

So, then I bought the upgrade to the SkFi II with the internal modulator. This works so,so. Slight interference and not as clean a signal as the aux. input.

Anyway, I set the radio to the station for the modulator and also plug the output into the aux. On the occasions when the aux cuts out the radio just starts working (if there is no CD) and I sometimes do not even notice.

I realize this is not as it should be for a new car, but I just got tired of screwing with it.

The way I look at it, I've got no rattles, stumble or yo yo and the windshield is in one piece. We all need some reason to come back to NAM!

Old 06-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Philpug
2nd Gear
I think I isolated my issues to the headunit over heating. I ran around this AM with the AC on and no issues. I played with turning it on and off and plugging and un plugging the aux plug. When I got home, I left the car parked and shut the AC off anfter about 5 minutes the AUX stopped working. I think it is heat related. I went to the dealer, they were able to duplicate the issue and replaced the HU. I will keep you posted with any changes.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:34 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
Read this post with my issue on the aux input and the dealer. They didnt even bother changing the plug to see if it was a faulty plug.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=44832

Garrett

Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Philpug
2nd Gear
Our problem is back, even after a new HU. I happened to be near the dealership (in another car), I stopped in and mentioned it to my Advisor. I said before I bring the car back, he might want to do some research on the issue. I really don't feel like taking 3 hours out of my day again to deal with a "trial and error" method of repair. If this cannot be resolved in the next visit, I will ask to get upgraded to the Ipod adaptor.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:23 PM
uptick
2nd Gear
Upon playing around more with the hook-up, my (our?) problem seems to be something to do with the DC power that is feeding the XM Skyfi2 radio. If I keep the AUX cable plugged in and unplug the power to the XM radio (either at the dock jack or at the cigarette outlet) the AUX mode on the headunit STAYS! As soon as I reconnect power to the XM radio, the AUX mode cuts out and disappears as long as the powered-XM radio is plugged in. It does not matter whether the radio is "on" or "off" - as long as the power adapter is plugged into the XM and the XM is plugged into the AUX, my AUX mode will not work. (This is very strange, since this same exact set-up does not affect the AUX mode in my 2003 MINI.)

I also experimented with powering the XM radio using the 'home kit' AC adaptor. When the SkyFi2 is powered by the AC adaptor, there seems to be no problems of the AUX cutting out. AUX mode is selectable on the head unit, and it does not cut out.

So my conclusion is the DC power adaptor may be a source of interference that is causing the AUX to cut out when the XM SkyFi2 is all plugged in. Somehow this interference creeps into the audio path and reaches the head unit via the AUX input. The newer head units may have some circuitry that cuts off the AUX source if it senses a 'dirty' signal being sent in, even though what we hear does not sound 'dirty' at all.

My next experiment turned out to be the solution to this problem. I went to Radio Shack and bought a Ground Loop Isolator (SEE THIS). This device was installed in place of my mini-stereo audio cable, between the XM SkyFi2's line-out and the AUX jack. I also needed a Y-Adaptor (SEE THIS) to convert the mini-stereo jack into RCA jacks to connect to the ground loop isolator. Upon installing this, my AUX mode returned as an available source on the head unit. It also did not cut out again. I believe this device filters or cleans that 'dirty' signal that kept causing the head unit to cut off the AUX source when my XM SkyFi2 was plugged in. I hope this solution will also work for those of you who are still having a problem!

Old 07-01-2005, 05:19 AM
Doenut_1
1st Gear
I've been driving around for two weeks without my iPod plugged into the power cord in the car and I haven't had any problems. The other day I needed to charge my battery and I plugged it in and not 10 minutes later it cut out. I don't really understand the problem. I may never but as long as it works without the power hooked up then i really don't care. I can charge the iPod at home no problem.

Old 07-01-2005, 06:48 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
Uptick,

I am going to try your solution before i take my car back to the dealer for the scheduled date for trying to fix my aux input issue. I was going to try something similar, but adding another ground to the xm device. I was also going to check the wires and power to see what the current is putting out and check the audio cable for any interference. How long have you had the ground looped attached without any issues? I will stop at radio shack to give it a shot. It an not hurt and I think this is what the problem is. If i hooked up the xm radio (i tried to different ones) into the dc power of the car, the radio would cut out. But if i hooked up my mp3 player to the aux input only with the battery of the mp3 player powering the device, i had no issues. So this could lead to dirty power being supplied by the car causing the aux input to cut out.

Garrett

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Aux keep cutting out.