Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Aux keep cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 10:50 AM
uptick
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garrett,

I've just gotten around to putting in that ground loop isolator yesterday. But I drove for over an hour without the problem coming back. Previously the AUX would cut off almost immediately. Also, before when the AUX mode was cut off, it would remain "locked out" so long as the XM was plugged in. I swapped the GLI in after a lock-out incident, and the AUX mode re-appeared. So whatever bad signal that was causing the headunit to cut-off and lock-out the AUX mode was eliminated or resolved with the GLI in place.

It also makes sense that some people are having problems as soon as they use the DC adaptor to power or charge their MP3 or other aux accessory. Yet if they use the MP3 on battery power (no DC connection), then the AUX works fine.

Someone else who is more technical can probably explain to us what is going on here. What I would like to know is whether the new headunits do indeed have a cut-off circuitry, or whether the grounding method is different in the '05.

As I reported previous, I had no problems using my iPod with the AUX and charging it with the Belkin adaptor. Nothing wrong with the headunit, nothing wrong with the AUX input part. So I assume that the Belkin adaptor has some GLI or filter built-in. Now the GLI seems to be the working solution with the XM SkyFi2!

Old 07-04-2005, 08:55 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
Well I did what uptick has done to his aux input by putting a dc loop isolator inbetween the audio plug and all works well. I had a gut feeling that this was the issue in the first place. I did the same things uptick did and tested different devices with batteries and without and got it to cut out when it was plugged into the electrical system of the mini. I have to thank uptick for his solution and for my happiness as i now can enjoy my XM radio. And also for saving me from the dealer having to ticker with my mini as the last time they did that they gave me my mini back with the dash interior still half apart and hanging!!! I suggest anyone who has this issue try the dc loop isolator!

Garrett

Old 07-21-2005, 06:31 PM
robgraziano
Neutral
Aux cutting out on Sirius as well

I want to send out a thank you to Uptick as well. I have a Sirius PNP installed going into the Aux Jack. It worked for a day and then started cutting out. It drove me crazy. I read this thread tried the Radio Shack Ground Loop and it worked like a charm. Once again thanks.......

Old 12-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Mr. Ioso
Neutral
It fixed it!

Ignore me. I was trying to share what I found here in another spot and blew it. Sorry. Also, my dumb *** is totally new here and I'm probably just missing an obvious way to delete this whole thing. Happy motoring and whatnot.

Last edited by Mr. Ioso; 12-29-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: im dumb