Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio How to: Update Nav software/enable British voice

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:16 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge, I am coming to MOTD

and would love to get the Brit Voice. I am an '03 w/CD NAV.

I will gladly pay cash for help, and I do have a laptop, etc with me.

Let me know...we are the MINI5280 Cabin, 1st one on Welch Rd. by the lower lot..across from MINICCI.

JPS

Old 04-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
jsouz, I'll be glad to help! No need for your laptop, I will have mine, with the NavCoder software, the IBUS adapter, etc.

Money is absolutely unnecessary - a beer might be nice though. Not Bud, Miller Lite, or other "watery" ones though... yuck!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
I will bring you

a 6-pak of something delicious from Colorado. We are, you may know, the #1 microbrew producing state in the country now.

My cell is <removed> or email <removed> or the MINI5280 cabin. Just let me know how to find you, we arrive mid-afternoon Wednesday.

Jonathan Souza

JPS

Last edited by Edge; 04-09-2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Removed posted personal info
Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Not wise to post your personal information publicly on the Net... I removed it... PM me.

BTW, cell phones are almost guaranteed not to work at Fontana Village or the general area area of the Dragon - only in surrounding towns.

I'll be arriving on Tuesday night and staying at the Inn.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
gpugliese
1st Gear
I'm having a devil of a time updating my nav. I'm currently at 4-1/40, and have tried V28, V29.1, V30 and V31 with no success.

I think half the problem is that I'm on OS X, and cannot properly burn an .nrg file or convert an .mdf to .iso to save my life. Toast 8 will burn .nrg, but the NAV throws an error when the burned disc is inserted. Any suggestions before I throw in the towel and install a copy of XP via Boot Camp to run Nero's trial?

Also, whether I burn to a CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD+R shouldn't make a difference, correct?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:32 AM
AutoXR53
3rd Gear
I'm at 4/12 and need some serious updating... any idea where I can get the latest update? I went to the X5forum and all they have is as the latest http://www.weethet.nl/downloads/nrg2iso.rar is this what I need to burn to the CD-R in order to massively update my Nav system?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
AutoXR53
3rd Gear
yeah when I click on the link w/in that link I get some page filled with a bunch of hoochies lol

Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AutoXR53
yeah when I click on the link w/in that link I get some page filled with a bunch of hoochies lol
Yes, those are the ads. At the top you have to enter the code that is shown and then it will take you to the download page. Click the hoochie link if you are single and looking for a date.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 AM
AutoXR53
3rd Gear
ooo very nice lol

Old 05-22-2008, 06:31 AM
AutoXR53
3rd Gear
OK so I finally got around to doing the update and I had a computer savvy friend of mine make me the british voice copy. I love it. I'm going to put it to the test this weekend when I go to Rockford IL.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM
lunakahuna87
1st Gear
ok i may sound stupid but i am just learning about the nav....

I just got a '06 cooper with factory nav. Is it the most up-to-date? I see how some of the other navs have a birds eye view. Can i get that on my nav? How easy is it and how would i do this...Again it may have been already mentioned but ive been looking and looking and can't find anything.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:50 PM
e-mini-Austin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lunakahuna87
ok i may sound stupid but i am just learning about the nav....

I just got a '06 cooper with factory nav. Is it the most up-to-date? I see how some of the other navs have a birds eye view. Can i get that on my nav? How easy is it and how would i do this...Again it may have been already mentioned but ive been looking and looking and can't find anything.
look back through this whole area and you will find directions for the "Perspective" update--

Old 06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
e-mini-Austin
2nd Gear
Buy Newer Nav disk

I am looking to buy a newer updated data disk for my Nay maps.

please contact at jtubbs@austin.rr.com

Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by e-mini-Austin
I am looking to buy a newer updated data disk for my Nay maps.

please contact at jtubbs@austin.rr.com
try Navteq or BMW...

Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
e-mini-Austin
2nd Gear
I thought someone may have one out of a wrecked car or one they didn't need that would be cheaper

Old 06-06-2008, 06:14 PM
kristee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AutoXR53
OK so I finally got around to doing the update and I had a computer savvy friend of mine make me the british voice copy. I love it. I'm going to put it to the test this weekend when I go to Rockford IL.
did everything go fine? my 04 doesnt have the brittish voice either and i desperately want it, but am a little leary... what format did your friend end up burning it in?

Old 06-09-2008, 03:25 PM
AutoXR53
3rd Gear
Everything went off w/out a hitch. If you follow the directions and use winrawr to make it, it's not that bad. I just didn't know how to do the British voice and honestly STILL have no idea how to he did all that for me. He told me "it's a really simple file swap"... but to me that was too complicated lol

Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 AM
jboy_nm
1st Gear
Just updated to v32 today...

Downloaded, extracted the .iso
Burned the iso to a DVD-R
Powered on NAV, ejected map disc
Inserted v32 DVD
Watched progress bar with extreme joy
Ejected and confirm the update with a button press
NAV Rebooted, re-inserted Map DVD

and...

HOLY CRAP. It's like I have a brand new system. BEAUTIFUL maps, a 3-D *perspective* view that looks awesome. YAY!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 AM
klebel
Neutral
v32 just blew up my Nav

Howdy,

I have an '05 MCS. I just downloaded the v32 update. I burnt it to a CD-RW with IMGBURN as I usually have great luck with that. The drive read the CD just fine, said it was processing the update and that it should take up to 6 minutes to complete. The progress bar got to the every end...sat for about 2 minutes and then gave me a message the update failed and to check my owners manual for more information. Huh? Anyway. It ejected the CD and now with the NAV disk back in the drive the screen is just black. No Mini logo, no menus, no nothing. Any ideas guys? My wife is going to killer me.

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hmmm, have you tried again? Also, I recommend using a CD-r instead and would also suggest the nero software.

Anyone else have to try more than once to make this upgrade?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 PM
klebel
Neutral
Originally Posted by Derepente
Hmmm, have you tried again? Also, I recommend using a CD-r instead and would also suggest the nero software.

Anyone else have to try more than once to make this upgrade?
I finally got it tonight. I tried 3 different CD's. What ended up working was dumping the CDR's and burning to a DVD-R instead. Now though the boot screen is the BMW logo instead of the Mini Logo. Oops! Anyone know where to get the V32 with the Mini Logo instead? BTW, I have never had good luck with Nero. ImgBurn is a rocking program.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by klebel
I finally got it tonight. I tried 3 different CD's. What ended up working was dumping the CDR's and burning to a DVD-R instead. Now though the boot screen is the BMW logo instead of the Mini Logo. Oops! Anyone know where to get the V32 with the Mini Logo instead? BTW, I have never had good luck with Nero. ImgBurn is a rocking program.
The same update disc has both logos. The only reason your Nav would show the BMW logo is if it has been miscoded.

Unfortunately it probably won't be fixed until your Nav is properly recoded and the NavOS is updated again. You could take it to the dealer ($) or if you have a laptop and an I-Bus interface, you can use the NavCoder program and most likely do it yourself.

If you are coming to MINIs on the Dragon this year, I'll be happy to help you out personally (free), since I'll be bringing my laptop & I-Bus interface (as well as NavOS update discs).

EDIT: Never mind... since you live so far away from the Dragon, I doubt you'll be coming... but the offer is still there.

Last edited by Edge; 01-18-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Edit after noticing klebel's location
Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 AM
klebel
Neutral
Originally Posted by Edge
The same update disc has both logos. The only reason your Nav would show the BMW logo is if it has been miscoded.

Unfortunately it probably won't be fixed until your Nav is properly recoded and the NavOS is updated again. You could take it to the dealer ($) or if you have a laptop and an I-Bus interface, you can use the NavCoder program and most likely do it yourself.

If you are coming to MINIs on the Dragon this year, I'll be happy to help you out personally (free), since I'll be bringing my laptop & I-Bus interface (as well as NavOS update discs).

EDIT: Never mind... since you live so far away from the Dragon, I doubt you'll be coming... but the offer is still there.
Ya unfortunately I won't be there. How could the Nav have gotten miscoded? This is the 3rd time I have updated it and the first time that it took a few tries. Will those bums at the dealership charge me for a recode?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by klebel
Ya unfortunately I won't be there. How could the Nav have gotten miscoded? This is the 3rd time I have updated it and the first time that it took a few tries. Will those bums at the dealership charge me for a recode?
Yeah most likely.

One way that the Nav might have been miscoded is if you downgraded to an older version at one point. Doing so puts the Nav into "no location" mode, which MIGHT (I'm not sure) also confuse it as to what vehicle type you have.

The NavCoder software is so wonderful because it empowers people like us to tweak some of the Nav stuff without having the expensive dealership equipment. If you like to upgrade & tweak your Nav (and it sounds like you do), I can highly recommend you check it out. If you're electronically inclined you can build your own I-Bus interface with instructions online - I went the easy route and ordered one from Rolf Resler in Germany.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio How to: Update Nav software/enable British voice