Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio r53 audio install - can I remove Nav module?

Old 01-17-2017, 11:42 AM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r53 audio install - can I remove Nav module?

I'm doing a full rewire of my Mini stereo which has turned out to be a huge PITA. I have the wires run into the doors through the factory wire housing. It put up a good fight but I got it through there.

I'm seeking a location for the new amp (pretty small) and was thinking under the passenger seat but that's where the Nav module is located. My questions is whether or not I can remove this and what effects with it have beyond not having navigation. Does it control the OBC?

I'm doing 6.5 components in the front and 6x9's in the factory locations. I will wire for a sub but not sure I want to get into that. I'm really getting to the home stretch once I can figure out where to put this amp.

This has been quite the learning experience. If I had to do it again I'd find a way to use the factory wiring.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 AM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
Sorry wrong section. Can someone move this to the r53 section.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:11 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
What about under the drivers seat, or at the original location of the HK amp behind the passenger side panel in the cargo area. I think the drivers side has the same cavity under the seat, but there's a styrofoam block under the carpet to make the floor look flat.

What amp are you running? Some people were replacing the HK amp with a 6 channel JL Audio and were able to shoehorn it back into the factory location behind the passenger side panel in the cargo area.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 AM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
I think I'll shoot for under the driver seat. I looked under there but I didn't notice that there was space for an amp. I bought a small 5 channel clarion amp so that location might also be possible. I was trying not to go crazy with the install but it seems that's impossible on an r53. I made a tweeter bracket and did some MDF rings for the doors. The biggest pain is running the wires really.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
There should be space. Here's a pic of a stripped MINI showing the floorboard under the driver's seat.

The first and third pics in this thread shows the foam pieces under the seats.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4232177

Old 01-23-2017, 01:27 PM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
I took the seat out and cut the carpet but I'm going to leave the foam. The amp fits just fine. Where is the best place to run the speaker wire and RCA? Through the center console or along the driver/passenger side? I'm getting to the home stretch although I'm going to need some MDF rings to get space the speakers out far enough from the window track.

Search this Thread