Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Sound system and music streaming

Old 09-29-2016, 05:00 AM
f_p
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound system and music streaming

Hello guys,
after a looooot of search and checks, I bought my Mini Cooper S, R56 (11/09) with 35 thousand miles.

The car is equipped with the standard sound system and no controls at the steering wheel. I have the following questions:

1. I am interesting in purchasing and installing a system that will stream music from spotify (either integrated in the car, or via my cellphone). Of course I want bluetooth connectivity (hands free, contacts and these stuff). I already checked the Parrot mini asteroid which seems like an integrated solution, but I really don't like changing the looks of my interior with Parrot's 3.5'' screen. Other solutions?
Can I shift towards a more OEM solution (from ebay?) at reasonable prices? Any ideas?

2. In case an OEM solution exist, can I also add the controls at the steering wheel?

Thank you all for your reactions!

Old 09-29-2016, 11:53 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
When you say contacts what do you want to be able to do? I had this bluetooth adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It connects to your aux jack, and you connect your phone to this bluetooth device to stream music and phone calls via aux jack to your car speakers. Worked great for the couple years before I moved to a 2013 MINI with integrated bluetooth audio. Call quality was surprisingly good too. But it doesn't have a screen of any sort. The hands free capability was limited to what was available on your phone via Siri or Google Now, etc. There's plenty of similar products but it is not well integrated, you can't use the buttons on your steering wheel (if you had them) to switch songs.

I'd say an OEM solution that included retrofitting the mic, steering wheel buttons, and coding the car to realize it has bluetooth capability would be cost prohibitive compared to what you get with this $20 device.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:42 PM
f_p
2nd Gear
Thanks. I would like to go towards a more integrated solution, with a reasonable cost.

I have seen some videos where they install 2din sound systems with all the characteristics I want, such as BT, spotify, contact list available on screen and others that I don't want that much such as Navi, connection with rear camera etc etc. What is annoying with that is that I am "ruining" the looks of the central part of the dash. Prices vary between 300-2000euros, but of course I will steer to a "less than 500 euro option". example: http://www.skroutz.gr/s/8246569/Pion...pecs-container

Another solution which is interesting is the Parrot mini asteroid. This thing connects to the existing audio system, but according to some tests I read, has the best quality when streaming via a cellphone. This comes with a 3.5'' screen which should be again installed somewhere inside the car, however, I think that it does not ruin the looks that much. Reasonable price as well (below 400 euros). https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Astero.../dp/B00A6UTYJ2

Finally, I am wondering how expensive would it be to install an OEM car system and how easy would that be without having to interfere much with electronics, the car's computer etc.

The first two solutions have one benefit: these systems can be used in my next cars as well, so no sunk cost. Whereas if I choose sth OEM, then I am throwing money into the bin if and when I decide to trade the car.

Your ideas, suggestions?

Old 09-30-2016, 11:21 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
It sounds like you want an additional screen in your car but don't want to pay lots of money for it. Why not use your phone as your screen, and have some sort of handsfree mount since you have to hook up your phone anyways somehow? For example, there are lots of CD mount phone holders that work well (they can block some of the radio display/AC controls but it depends on what mount you have). Or a windshield suction cup mount if you want to be higher. Then get a bluetooth aux adapter and stream music/maps/etc through there, using your phone as the screen instead of an additional screen. That's most likely the most cost effective method, and reusable for any car too.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-WMA3000...words=tune2air
operates like a bluetooth device and would give you steering wheel controls of the music too. The cheaper ones don't do that because they just plug into the aux jack. This is all assuming you have both aux and USB, too.

If I were you, this is the route I would go (and I did go this route because my 08 did not have bluetooth streaming). It served me well for 2.5 years and I upgraded to a car with bluetooth streaming built in. Most other more integrated solutions were too cost prohibitive for me, especially considering it's an older car at this point and it may not be transferable to new cars. Honestly you could try out one of the cheaper aux bluetooth adapters for $20 and see how you like it, not much money lost if you didn't. You could probably return it to amazon too, they're pretty generous with returns.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:22 AM
f_p
2nd Gear
Thanks 3lusive.
No, adding a screen is not among my original wishes. Actually, I would be happier if I could use the small screen available in the car's tachometer to exhibit playlists etc.

My idea is simple:
Using Spotify in the car. Either by using a system with an integrated application, or by connecting my phone with using as much less cords as possible.

So far, the ideas that I presented above remain the best in terms of value for money (or better, quality for money).

Old 10-03-2016, 09:52 AM
JayDubYa2003
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A mount like this for your Cell phone gives you the screen right in your field of view for things like Nav.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/...nting-Kit.html

Couple that with the BT adapter mentioned above and you have the best option in my opinion.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:47 AM
f_p
2nd Gear
Update:
Bought and installed the Parrot Mk9100. I can play spotify from the cellphone, however, streaming quality is not good, both because of the Parrot's amplifier and the speakers. Anyhow, at least I can get my call while driving and it was a cheap option (

Old 04-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Mchahen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3lusive
When you say contacts what do you want to be able to do? I had this bluetooth adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It connects to your aux jack, and you connect your phone to this bluetooth device to stream music and phone calls via aux jack to your car speakers. Worked great for the couple years before I moved to a 2013 MINI with integrated bluetooth audio. Call quality was surprisingly good too. But it doesn't have a screen of any sort. The hands free capability was limited to what was available on your phone via Siri or Google Now, etc. There's plenty of similar products but it is not well integrated, you can't use the buttons on your steering wheel (if you had them) to switch songs.

I'd say an OEM solution that included retrofitting the mic, steering wheel buttons, and coding the car to realize it has bluetooth capability would be cost prohibitive compared to what you get with this $20 device.
Since you have the 2013 maybe you can help me as i have been going around like a headless chicken tryin to find a way to make the usb port read my iphone x music but no luck, and since its an X it doesn have aux. so no bluetooth only handsfree and no reading the phone over usb, Shall i sell the car or the fone or both thanks.