Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Bluetooth in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:30 PM
Brenton Allen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth in the trunk?

Hello everyone!! I have a 2006 Mini Cooper base model with the stock headunit. I have the wire harness in the trunk that was intended for a CD changer in the trunk. I am wanting to do a bluetooth integration but most of what I have seen has moved that wire harness to the front of the car. I am wanting to keep the wire harness in the back of the vehicle and use it for a bluetooth device that can connect my android phone and stream music and answer phone calls with the MSFW. So without moving the wire harness from the back of the car, what are my options?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:14 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The wiring harness in the trunk is there so you can remote mount a satalite radio or a CD player...
Since you don't need either....
You can reach back behind the radio...
And unplug the cable...that goes to the trunk...it was cslled CD changer pre-wireing.
Then you have options...
You can then install the aux jack...one end plugs in the place where that jack unplugs....about $20..then you could use a dongle for $15...
Other options are more intergrated kits that plug into the radio...
But imo if you are going to go that route...
Spend the $$ and just install a new radio with Bluetooth UNLESS you have the HK system.
Guess you could install any of the options in the back...but no access to the buttons....and Bluetooth range , through some seats...might not work...

Old 05-24-2016, 07:19 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree with Zippy. I have the stock radio with no bluetooth and I will be getting a new radio (that has bluetooth).

Old 05-25-2016, 01:38 PM
Brenton Allen
Neutral
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
The wiring harness in the trunk is there so you can remote mount a satalite radio or a CD player...
Since you don't need either....
You can reach back behind the radio...
And unplug the cable...that goes to the trunk...it was cslled CD changer pre-wireing.
Then you have options...
You can then install the aux jack...one end plugs in the place where that jack unplugs....about $20..then you could use a dongle for $15...
Other options are more intergrated kits that plug into the radio...
But imo if you are going to go that route...
Spend the $$ and just install a new radio with Bluetooth UNLESS you have the HK system.
Guess you could install any of the options in the back...but no access to the buttons....and Bluetooth range , through some seats...might not work...
I do not have the HK system, and i like the looks of the stock unit but it just seems that replacing the HU would be the cheapest and most realistic option. If i was to replace the HU, would i still be able to use the MFSW for volume and selection? also would i be able to use the phone buttons on the steering wheel as well?

Old 05-25-2016, 05:44 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The phone button is ONLY active with the $$$ factory option system that was obsolete when sold, and about 18 months late...but buttons were installed starting with January 2005 production if I recall...but it was well in 2006...just a couple months before the r53 was discontinued that the lit cake out... wasn't even a great kit for the $.
The steering wheel buttons...there are various adaptors that are sold that interfaces with aftermarket radios....so the volume, and next/back track-station can be made to work.
I would suggest you get the install done by a pro, or do lots of research on the different parts...the antenna adapter is another item...it needs to be powered, cause it injects a bit of power up the cable for an amp.....
So the true cost will be about 50% hearing, and 50% extra stuff to integrate it unless you go very $$$ or cheap for the head...
The stock unit works fine...I used it...could not bring myself to spend $300+ to add what I could do for $50...
I thought the look was find...I used the aux in jack that was $20-35 OEM...
Worked good for music, then wore a BT earpiece... ALREADY had one..but how much do folks talk these days...
But you can get a $15 dongle the plugs into the jack that the phone e connects to by BT...Most have a mic too..so they can be placed in a position with a cord to work well...
Only reason to jump through hoops too keep the cord connected in the back was if you had the CD changer or Xm/Sirius....the work around was to fish a 10 foot or so aux cable to the front of the car,plugging in the aux jack plug to the wiring in the back...kinda crazy..but some folks did it.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 AM
GPToyz
3rd Gear
I have the Grom Bluetooth only unit BT3 I believe.

I paid like $90 on special but it was basically plug and play for Bluetooth audio using the factory cd changer harness

On my 05 head unit I actually get track info like podcast name, playlist info etc. installing the mic required removal of all the plastic trim to stealthily run the mic from the trunk to the front cabin.

Siri works with my steering wheel controls
Track up, track down, call answer, call reject all work through my steering wheel buttons as well.

Overall very happy with the integration.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 PM
sharkbaitgirl
1st Gear
2005 Convertible w/ Nav - want to add bluetooth???

Where is the CD Changer wiring, which I can use to install bluetooth in my 2005 mini cooper CONVERTIBLE with navigation?

If I look in my truck... I don't have the side panel like the hatchback have (non convertible) minis (like they show in this video).

This is what my boot looks like? Or is the CD changer wiring behind the panel in the truck on the right (passenger side)? If so how do I remove this panel?

FYI: I installed the grom in my E46 2001 BMW.. OMG that was soooo SIMPLE and took 45 min (watched youtube video).

Last edited by sharkbaitgirl; 07-28-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 PM
sharkbaitgirl
1st Gear
2005 Convertible w/ Nav - want to add bluetooth???

Where is the CD Changer wiring, which I can use to install bluetooth in my 2005 mini cooper CONVERTIBLE with navigation?

If I look in my truck... I don't have the side panel like the hatchback have (non convertible) minis (like they show in this video).

This is what my boot looks like? Or is the CD changer wiring behind the panel in the truck on the right (passenger side)? If so how do I remove this panel?

FYI: I installed the grom in my E46 2001 BMW.. OMG that was soooo SIMPLE and took 45 min (watched youtube video).

Old 02-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Stormy Clements
Neutral
R52 CD changer cable location

Originally Posted by sharkbaitgirl

If I look in my truck... I don't have the side panel like the hatchback have (non convertible) minis (like they show in this video). GROM Bluetooth iPhone Android USB car kit install into Mini Cooper, trunk - YouTube

Did you ever find the cable? I'm having the same issue. No one knows how to find the cable in my R52 (I don't have the CD changer, but it's supposed to have the cable). I'm trying to install a GROM. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2020, 07:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Its behind that carpet on the right hand side. The one with the little black screw in the center, pull that out.

CD changer R52: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...cs-wanted.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172