Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio MCS R53 w/factory Nav replacing Boost CD Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:28 PM
Chris Frillman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS R53 w/factory Nav replacing Boost CD Question

Hello Mini world:

I've read 11 years of posts back to 2005 and did not see this specific question answered. I have had a crush on the mini since The Italian Job movie remake. This week, I finally had an opportunity to buy a 2006 loaded MCS except for the HK sound system. Because of hands free laws, etc., I will need to replace the factory head unit to give me something with BT/streaming/etc.

I talked to Crutchfield today and they said even if I don't have the HK system, I still need to run all new speaker wires because my car has factory NAV. Is this true?

I get that an aftermarket system would lose the voice directions if I don't get the right adapter cable.

I also understand there's a kit which allows the MFSW controls to work with aftermarket radios. On this 2006, there's no amp in the trunk so why do I have to bypass the factory harness and speaker cables?

If I have to bypass them, I'm going to go all out and get a new amp and all new speakers also, if I have to touch all of them. I'd really rather just get a $200-$300 head unit and just get the Crutchfield kit.

Anyone have specific experience with the non HK 1st gen mini with factory nav?

The other thought I had was to get an intravee and the DPSM module and keep it stock...but it looks like I'm also WAY late to the party on that one. Unless someone knows if someone has old stock for those kits somewhere...but I actually don't think the DPSM works with the NAV. Again...I don't understand why!

Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Frillman
I talked to Crutchfield today and they said even if I don't have the HK system, I still need to run all new speaker wires because my car has factory NAV. Is this true?
No, it's not true. The factory stereo system is the same with or without Nav. The only difference with having Nav is that is the Nav voice is connected to the headunit (and if you don't have Nav, it's still the same headunit, just nothing connected to that input).

If you're getting an aftermarket headunit, it's debatable whether you even want to hook up the voice from a Nav system with 15 year old technology and maps that are no longer updated.

Originally Posted by Chris Frillman
I actually don't think the DPSM works with the NAV.
Yes it would work for the same reason (the Nav has nothing to do with the stereo system except for the Nav voice input line). It's probably a moot point since DPSM was discontinued so long ago that the kit is almost impossible to find. However, in case you do find one, research it in this forum before you decide to proceed. The DPSM amp has a shockingly high failure rate.