Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Would like to upgrade stock head unit for '05 MCS

Old 11-18-2015, 08:57 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Would like to upgrade stock head unit for '05 MCS

Hey all,

Been away from the forums for years but have come back because I've finally found some funds to do some minor upgrades and have been at it for the past few months. One of the things I'm looking to do is replace the stock stereo/head unit that came with my brand new '05 MCS.

Does anyone have any opinions on which current unit to buy? There's so many options and I've never really been too much into audio systems but I would like to upgrade 10year old technology. I'm not looking to get crazy with a new unit just something I can use with my cell phone (I'm a Windows Phone user, yes we are out there and I know there's a lot of hate, and no I like the OS so I'm not switching, I don't care what anyone says ) and can do more than just play CDs like the old unit. USB/Bluetooth compatible, I don't need an aux connection.

Also, preferably a unit that I can still use the steering wheel controls with as well as sit well with the orange lighting theme. Thanks.

Last edited by polepino; 11-18-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:36 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
First, do you have the Harman Kardon upgraded "Hi-Fi" stereo system? If yes, you can only replace the HU by using an adapter harness from Mike in the UK, and they're around $100 when he has them in stock.

If no H/K system, your options are almost endless, and the upgrade is much easier. Do you want to play CDs in your car? Use an iPod? Use a USB drive with music on it? Add satellite (SiriusXM, for instance) radio? You probably want Bluetooth, which is very common on most aftermarket head units, and you probably want one with an external microphone. Do you want the stereo lighting to match the Mini's orange instrument lighting?

You could get a very basic and inexpensive (around $100) new head unit that has no CD slot, has Bluetooth, an AUX and/or a USB input (front or back?)... You won't get much power out of it - probably less than 15W per channel - but you'll get what you pay for. You'll certainly need a Metra brand installlation adapter frame/kit and a jumper harness for the wiring, based on whatever HU you choose.

You will also need to buy a steering wheel control adapter/interface to have the ability to use your existing MFSW (multi-function steering wheel) buttons, and HU you choose will need a 3.5mm "remote" input jack in the back. I used the SWI-RC (see my post below) but there are other options.

I suggest you go to Crutchfield dot com and type in your car model (and other parameters) to see what they suggest. You don't have to buy from them, but they do supply a complete package if you choose to go their route. That way, you can search the internet for better prices and put together your own package.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:25 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmy
First, do you have the Harman Kardon upgraded "Hi-Fi" stereo system? If yes, you can only replace the HU by using an adapter harness from Mike in the UK, and they're around $100 when he has them in stock.

If no H/K system, your options are almost endless, and the upgrade is much easier. Do you want to play CDs in your car? Use an iPod? Use a USB drive with music on it? Add satellite (SiriusXM, for instance) radio? You probably want Bluetooth, which is very common on most aftermarket head units, and you probably want one with an external microphone. Do you want the stereo lighting to match the Mini's orange instrument lighting?

You could get a very basic and inexpensive (around $100) new head unit that has no CD slot, has Bluetooth, an AUX and/or a USB input (front or back?)... You won't get much power out of it - probably less than 15W per channel - but you'll get what you pay for. You'll certainly need a Metra brand installlation adapter frame/kit and a jumper harness for the wiring, based on whatever HU you choose.

You will also need to buy a steering wheel control adapter/interface to have the ability to use your existing MFSW (multi-function steering wheel) buttons, and HU you choose will need a 3.5mm "remote" input jack in the back. I used the SWI-RC (see my post below) but there are other options.

I suggest you go to Crutchfield dot com and type in your car model (and other parameters) to see what they suggest. You don't have to buy from them, but they do supply a complete package if you choose to go their route. That way, you can search the internet for better prices and put together your own package.
Thanks for the response. No, I didn't get the HK upgrade when I bought the car. Basically, I'd like to keep it simple. Just a CD player/radio with bluetooth and a usb slot would be fine. I don't need the siriusxm. Yes I would like a unit that would be able to match the color on my stock dash. I'll check out Crutchfield. The steering wheel adapter for the MFSW is an absolute must if I'm going aftermarket huh?

Old 12-28-2015, 07:55 AM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the Sony MEX-GS810BH for my MCS and it works flawlessly, isn't too expensive, looks proper in the dash, and as an added bonus the display color can be tailored to match the gauge backlightling perfectly. If you order from Crutchfield, their harness adapter is fine but does not give you the option to dim the illumination (as I found out) but you can buy one off eBay that does allow for this.

This alone has been a phenomenal upgrade to the sound system, even with stock speakers (non-HK).

Old 12-28-2015, 08:35 AM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear
As for the steering wheel control integration, there have been issues getting the controls to work correctly (see Installing the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface).

I installed mine last week and so far it seems to be working, albeit with a minor hick-up.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ApexinM3
As for the steering wheel control integration, there have been issues getting the controls to work correctly (see Installing the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface).

I installed mine last week and so far it seems to be working, albeit with a minor hick-up.
Glad to hear everything's working out for you! Yeah, if my system had <i>not</i> been H/K in the first place, the swap would have been so simple.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:13 AM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by polepino
Thanks for the response. No, I didn't get the HK upgrade when I bought the car. Basically, I'd like to keep it simple. Just a CD player/radio with bluetooth and a usb slot would be fine. I don't need the siriusxm. Yes I would like a unit that would be able to match the color on my stock dash. I'll check out Crutchfield. The steering wheel adapter for the MFSW is an absolute must if I'm going aftermarket huh?
I know this thread is two months old, so you may already have bought a head unit by now, but I figured I'd chime in. I bought a JVC unit from Crutchfield. I like it because it supports bluetooth audio and has a USB input. It also pushes out more power to the speakers, which I upgraded up front. Last, it came with a microphone that I routed into the stock bluetooth mic location (I did not have the bluetooth phone option before but all of the R53s have the little mic cutout in the headliner trim, as far as I know). I was also able to match the display to the amber color of the dash.

I installed the steering wheel adapter, which is a must if you want to retain that functionality. It stopped working about 3 months later, and I haven't yet bothered to open up the dash and try to figure out why the hell it stopped working. And if I do, I wonder whether it'll just stop working again. Sigh.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:46 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I "upgraded" my OEM stereo in my FJ with a newer touch display from a Corolla.
I wanted to do something similar to the MINI, since I like the stock look, just want more power.
I'd recommend doing a BT aux adapter, (to the stock AUX input), that way you can control music from your phone...and retain steering wheel controls for volume (at least). Phone type wouldn't really matter.
I have an in-line amp (in my FJ) that can be installed in MINI for a bit more punch. Alpine makes it.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:23 AM
jennster
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hijack

But I have the hk head. Is there a website for the adapter harness I may need? Beyond that are there any limitations if I am to use the existing speakers, etc? Thanks.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jennster
But I have the hk head. Is there a website for the adapter harness I may need? Beyond that are there any limitations if I am to use the existing speakers, etc? Thanks.
Assuming you're changing out your factory Harman Kardon HU...
You'll need the HK Enabler from http://newministuff.com/hk-enabler---see-note-465-p.asp . Mike makes them himself and sometimes gets backordered, but there still seems to be a need for them. They're around $100 USD, as I recall. It is my understanding that he HK Enabler will let you use an aftermarket HU with your existing HK amp and speakers, but I haven't used one myself.