Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Installing the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Installing the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface

I'm copying and pasting this from my earlier post on removing and replacing the Harman Kardon components (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...omponents.html). The PAC SWI-RC is the newest version of MFSW interface for the Mini Cooper.

For those of you looking for programming tips, here are my observations. You DO need the 3.5mm plug inserted into the HU. You DO NOT need to have the engine running to program the SWI.

(NOTE: I used a broken-off pencil eraser end to push the SWI programming button, as it's recessed a little in the housing):

1) my SWI dial had to be on 7 for Pioneer - turn yours accordingly

2) my SWI program had to be #5 for Mini Cooper. This is the first thing you program:
2a) press and hold the SWI programming button
2b) turn key on to accessory (LED will light on)
2c) release button (LED still on)
2d) push button five times in succession
2e) do nothing else - LED will then flash five times to confirm that it's in program 5)
2f) turn key off - you are now in program 5

3) without touching the SWI, turn key back on to acc: LED will flash five times to confirm program five

4) push SWI programming button once quickly: LED will light and stay on, showing it's now in (steering wheel button) program mode

5) start pushing your steering wheel buttons based on the given list and instructions. (You MUST push the buttons in order.) Push a steering wheel button, the LED will go out, release button, LED comes back on for next steering wheel button.
5a) you will skip some numbers. To do this press the SWI button instead of a steering wheel function button; the LED will do a quick blink and you can move on to the next function button, or another skipped number.
5b) my programmed buttons are:
1 - VOL UP
2 - VOL DN
3 - skip
4 - skip
5 - skip
6 - skip
7 - right arrow (next song)
8 - left arrow (previous song, etc)
9 - skip
10 - skip
11 - skip
12 - phone button (answer call)

6) IMPORTANT: you don't have to go on pressing the SWI button to skip the remaining numbers (13 & 14) - just wait and don't push anything, and the LED will start flashing in a few seconds. It should do three kind of slow flashes to show that it's programmed correctly, then five more quick flashes again confirming that it's in program #5. Turn the key off. You have WON!

7) If the SWI LED doesn't do the 3-then-5 flashes, something went wrong. If so, the LED will probably be flashing nonstop instead. You'll have to start over, but first check if the SWI is still in #5 program mode. Turn the key back on to acc: if the SWI flashes five times, proceed again from my #3. If no five flashes, you'll have to start over again from #2 above. And if so, it seemed to work better if you give the SWI a few minutes to recover from the previous programming attempt. Or overnight.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Long(ish)-term update:

The SWI-RC has now stayed programmed for a couple of weeks. It's looking less and less like I'll have an ongoing problem with it. Phone button, though programmed to answer calls, doesn't function and I'm not about to go messing with re-programming it.

PAC customer service/install/tech support never returned my email request.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
And as a final, long-term update...

The SWI has now forgotten its programming again on a few occasions. Luckily, it remembered said programming with a key-off restart of the car. In which case, I would recommend that you don't play with the stereo controls immediately after starting the car, as it seems like the SWI needs a moment to "converse" with the HU.

I still do not recommend the SWI-RC as a steering wheel button interface. It's been a major PITA, and it shouldn't be. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:02 AM
joe29
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the SWI-RC on route but willing to return it. Can you recommend an alternative?

Old 12-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
AFAIK, the only alternative is the Axxess ASWC-1. There may be others, but these are the only two I found in my search.

While I don't recommend the SWI-RC, I have no idea of how well the Axxess works, how easy it is to install and program, nor what it costs. My SWI-RC was relatively simple to install (in a MINI) and seems to have stabilized over time.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:49 AM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed my SWI-RC last week and so far it has worked as intended.One thing I have noticed is that the voice command on occasion pops up on the phone when the car is shut off, though this does not happen all of the time. Still unsure why but so far so good. I'll update in a bit...

Old 06-28-2016, 08:58 AM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a quick update, so far the only issue I've had is the one mentioned above. Otherwise it has functioned properly this entire time.