Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio HK Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
HK Retrofit

I've been searching everywhere, but can't seem to find a wiring harness schematic for the HK system in my R53. My Bentley is lacking in this area. NAM has tons of audio threads, but I haven't found a schematic yet.

What I've got: '04 MCS with HK audio
What I'm doing: completely replacing the HK audio components with aftermarket
How I'd like to do it: pull the HK system as a whole and sell it as a complete upgrade for another R53 (or R50) owner who has the crappy regular audio
What I need: color codes for the speaker wires from the amp to each speaker

I would think the HK door wiring harnesses are different than the stock "Wave" audio, which has only two speaker wires coming into each door, then split into tweeter (with a filter) and mid-range. Since the HK system has crossovers built into the amp, there must be four speaker wires (at least) coming into the doors via the door jamb plugs, right?

Are the door harness plugs the same for either audio system? I would like to unpin the wires from the door plug so I don't have to cut anything. I would also like to unpin the HK speaker wires from the plug receptacles in the door jambs - can I do this? Can I get to the hidden side of the door jamb plugs from underneath the dash?

My design: Pioneer HU > low-level RCA outputs to booster amp > 2 rear channels out to 6X9s in the rear panels; 2 front channels to the doors (only 2 wires each door) > 2 wires through the door plugs > (Polk DB6501 components) crossovers in the door > 2 wires up to tweeters, 2 wires down to mid-range speakers. I believe I can pull the speaker wires through the (modified) door plugs, so I don't think I'll have to repin the plugs.

And finally, does anyone know if the amp harness (from the HU) is a stand-alone harness that I can pull by itself, or is it entangled in the chassis harness?

Old 09-02-2015, 12:14 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Old 09-02-2015, 01:33 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
That last link is a huge help! Thanks, rkw.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-complete.html

The 2Miniacs thread (above) is filled with great information. But I'm unsure about his claims of the door plugs & wiring being the same. At the very least, the HK speakers have different connectors (...?), so the inside-door harness would surely be different. I have read that the HK tweeter wire(s) bypass the non-HK capacitor (supposedly used as a high-pass filter). I've been looking at pics of harnesses for sale, and none of those sellers denotes whether or not the wires are for the base model or HK. Did they use some kind of add-on adapter for the HK?

Ultimately, I need to have only one pair of wires coming in the door that goes to the crossover. If I don't have to pull new wires through that damn plug, my upgrade would be a LOT easier.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
This is the HK wiring:

HK Retrofit-kig1kki.png

This is the standard stereo system:

HK Retrofit-txyioz6.png

The X18512/X18513 connector that splits the signal is in the dash near the steering wheel.

My wiring diagrams are from the BMW WDS (Wiring Diagram System) software. Search eBay for "BMW WDS".

Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Thanks for all of this, rkw. I used a .pdf of the amp output speaker colors, which lead all the way up to the door plugs - where they completely change colors. I used and tapped into the tweeter wiring just inside the car's door plugs (from my amp) and those wires went directly to my individual door crossovers > split into tweets and mids.

Fired it all up today and it sounds excellent! Haven't done any balancing or filtering yet, just wanted to make sure it all works before putting the panels back on. Still have to hook up the PAC-SWI, tuck everything away and re-assemble the interior.

Pioneer DEH-X8700BS head unit
Clarion XC1410 mini-amp
SiriusXM SXV300v1 tuner module
Polk Audio DB6501 components in the doors (mids, tweets and crossovers)
Performance Teknique 6X9s in the side panels