Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Mini Cooper, 2nd Generation- "Mini Connected"

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:07 AM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mini Cooper, 2nd Generation- "Mini Connected"

I'm curious if the 2nd generation Mini Cooper models have any software update (firmware) to provide some level of "Mini Connected" functionality? Or are there any plans for this?

I own a 2009 Mini Cooper S Hardtop. Just upgraded from an iPhone 4S to a new iPhone 6, can't seem to integrate with my 2nd generation Mini. Not sure which Y-cable harness will work to provide full audio and phone operation either?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4109000

Are others out there able to "Pair" their iPhone 6 (w/iOS ver8.x) to a 2nd-generation Mini?

Please provide details.

Appreciate your input.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I pair my iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 8.4) via bluetooth and it works fine. Go to http://www.mini.com/connectivity/sof...ate/index.html and enter the last seven of your vin. There you can find the latest software update.

I've also used just the standard Apple lighting cable and it works that way too.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:05 AM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TrueEddie
I pair my iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 8.4) via bluetooth and it works fine. Go to http://www.mini.com/connectivity/sof...ate/index.html and enter the last seven of your vin. There you can find the latest software update.

I've also used just the standard Apple lighting cable and it works that way too.
thank you for your input here, appreciated. I will make an attempt to "pair" my iPhone 6 first when I get a chance.

I tried the stock Apple lightning cable, it did'nt seem to work at all, which I was surprised. But I will make another attempt. I'm sure my 2009 Mini Cooper S Hardtop has the latest firmware as I had major service performed a few months back. So I would think it would be updated in regards to functionality with current mobile phone's.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:15 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestCoastD
thank you for your input here, appreciated. I will make an attempt to "pair" my iPhone 6 first when I get a chance.

I tried the stock Apple lightning cable, it did'nt seem to work at all, which I was surprised. But I will make another attempt. I'm sure my 2009 Mini Cooper S Hardtop has the latest firmware as I had major service performed a few months back. So I would think it would be updated in regards to functionality with current mobile phone's.
You can't use the Lightning cable by itself in a 2G Mini. You HAVE to use the Y-cable if you want the hardwired connection. Though I have seen a post about recoding the USB from analog to digital which lets you use just the Lightning cable.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:29 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by quality_sound
You can't use the Lightning cable by itself in a 2G Mini. You HAVE to use the Y-cable if you want the hardwired connection. Though I have seen a post about recoding the USB from analog to digital which lets you use just the Lightning cable.
yeah, a new Y-cable I purchased (supposed to be BMW and Mini compatible) did'nt work either. However it works beautiful in my wife's brand-new Subaru 2015 CrossTrek.

Guess I have to try a different y-cable part No.?

Old 08-31-2015, 06:53 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, a new Y-cable I purchased (supposed to be BMW and Mini compatible) did'nt work either. However it works beautiful in my wife's brand-new Subaru 2015 CrossTrek.

Guess I have to try a different y-cable part No.?

Where does the 3.5mm jack plug in on her Crosstrek? My '15 WRX just used a lightning cable.

Yes. Look at ECS Tuning. There are different cables depending on your radio. I know, it's stupid.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:01 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I'm curious if the 2nd generation Mini Cooper models have any software update (firmware) to provide some level of "Mini Connected" functionality? Or are there any plans for this?

I own a 2009 Mini Cooper S Hardtop.
No MINI Connected for 2009 models. MINI Connected was introduced in the 2011 model year refresh, which updated the infotainment system including hardware. 2009 models lack the necessary hardware.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 AM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
No MINI Connected for 2009 models. MINI Connected was introduced in the 2011 model year refresh, which updated the infotainment system including hardware. 2009 models lack the necessary hardware.
I see, that's exactly the type of specific info I was looking for- ie. whether, or not, the audio system on a 2009 Mini would provide capability to upgrade to "Mini Connected". Thank you