Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Tach and Speedometer not working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:06 AM
mlivvy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tach and Speedometer not working.

Hello everyone i'm new to the sites.

I swapped out the leds on my dash, added a nav cluster with a custom screen, and an alpine radio. Everything with the install went great but now my tach and speedometer won't work. Does it need to be reprogrammed or is there something I can do or check to get them working again?

The units power up fine it's just the needles that don't do anything.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:25 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mlivvy
added a nav cluster with a custom screen, and an alpine radio
That's really vague. What exactly did you do, electrically?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 AM
mlivvy
1st Gear
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

It's a 2007 R56 base. I purchased a speedometer on ebay from an r56 with navigation. It didn't have the factory screen so I purchased a 6.5" touch panel and retrofitted it to the opening. The screen and pc works independently except for the 12v it gets from the car.

The alpine radio was installed using the BMRC-1 module and it's working fine.

The tachometer just had the led's replaced. I should note that it's possible that my father started the car without the tachometer/speedometer installed becaue he was installing a clutch and I didn't specify to him not to do so.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
It's a general problem with installing a used speedometer from a different car. When a speedometer is initially programmed, it becomes permanently linked to the VIN because it's one of the places where the odometer value is stored, and AFAIK can't be reprogrammed if it's in a different car. So now you have a speedometer that is still configured for the previous car. I don't know if there's any way to make it work short of purchasing a brand new, unprogrammed speedometer.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:53 AM
mlivvy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
It's a general problem with installing a used speedometer from a different car. When a speedometer is initially programmed, it becomes permanently linked to the VIN because it's one of the places where the odometer value is stored, and AFAIK can't be reprogrammed if it's in a different car. So now you have a speedometer that is still configured for the previous car. I don't know if there's any way to make it work short of purchasing a brand new, unprogrammed speedometer.
Thanks for the help. I figured out the tachometer it was the needle was "too tight" and not spinning. After resitting the needle it is working perfectly.

As far as the speedometer everything on it (the warning lights, fuel gauge, etc) works minus the mechanism that moves the speedometer. I followed a thread here where he did the exact same thing I did except he states his worked perfectly.