Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Technical HK question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:00 AM
vicj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technical HK question

Can anybody tell me for sure if the midrange/tweeter combination in the HK system has a cap and coil crossover, as the Bentley Manual implies, or just the cap on the tweeter line that I found when taking it all apart.

Since the mid/tweet speaker line out of the HK amp is one line, it stands to reason that there is a passive crossover in line. I just can't find the coil, if it exists. Without the coil, are they letting the midrange just play as high as it wants? It can't be electronically crossed over in the amp, as there is just one line to the midrange /tweeter combo coming out of the amp.

Any help in locating that coil would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:19 PM
yashmack
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm, it could be that theyre relying on the natural roll off from the speaker to act as a kind of crossover
in several of the home hifi speakers i have, the midrange is fed a full range signal, the woofer is fed full range, and the tweeter has a cap
the speakers have highe fficiency so dont use much power, with a low powered amp (which i understand the h/k to be) it will have low distortion and just kind roll off at the frequencies the speakers cant reproduce so they match the frequency response of the speakers to fit together

just a guess though
Im going to be trying out connecting all 3 to a small 12 watt amp and see what happens :p at some point...

Last edited by yashmack; 03-29-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:59 PM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Vic - there is no coil. The Bentley folks are mistaken.