Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Need rear speaker suggestions ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 12:43 PM
Rckstrgrl21
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need rear speaker suggestions ;-)

So long story short, I am having my front door speakers replaced this Monday and thought that perhaps I should have them replace my rear speakers as well at the same time.

I currently have installed:

Head unit - AVIC-5000NEX

4-channel Alpine amp 90x4 RMS MRP-F550

The front speakers I have are:

Infinity Primus Pr6500cs

I have not listened to these yet, so I'm not sure on if they are more on the higher tone side or lower.

My ultimate goal is to have a semi-well rounded sound. I do not plan on getting a subwoofer, if I do it won't be for a few years so I want my speakers to have a good full range of sound from the heights to the lows.

Should I stick with the Primus and get the matching 6x9's Model: PR9603IS?

No thread is complete without a picture so here is my deck:

Name:  imagejpg1.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  38.4 KB[/URL]

Here are the front speakers I already have:

Name:  image.jpg1_1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  30.5 KB[/URL]

Here is the amp that is currently installed:

Name:  image.jpg1_2.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  17.8 KB[/URL]

Here is the rear speakers that I DO NOT have but match the front that I do have:

Name:  image.jpg1.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  56.2 KB[/URL]

Old 01-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I've always had a tough time evaluating speakers unless they were in place! Sitting in a sound room at a high end store and picking speakers was always fun, but when you got home and hooked them up they were vastly different.

I'd stick with the match set until your ears tell you different, or your wallet.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:59 PM
Rckstrgrl21
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I've always had a tough time evaluating speakers unless they were in place! Sitting in a sound room at a high end store and picking speakers was always fun, but when you got home and hooked them up they were vastly different.

I'd stick with the match set until your ears tell you different, or your wallet.
Thank you for responding. After going online to research a little more I noticed the sales price for the rear speakers are listed at $119 online which had me thinking that I saw them at Best Buy for $59. So I decided to jump on the sales price since it saved me 50%

Is there anything I need to know regarding the install? Anything that I need to ensure the installers know and/or do?

Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Rckstrgrl21
Is there anything I need to know regarding the install? Anything that I need to ensure the installers know and/or do?
Back in the early days of car stereo installations I had a shop install a then new Bose system in a BMW. The idiots soldered the power leads right into the wiring harness and within a few days the entire car wiring burned up. Amazingly the BMW dealer which was owned by a Rolls Royce dealer covered the repair under warranty. Those were the days when BMW was an exclusive kind of brand and they treated you well.

Moral of the story is to ask around and find a shop with a good reputation for doing clean installs.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:56 PM
Rckstrgrl21
2nd Gear
The installation shop was able to squeeze me in a little early and installed the front speakers today. WOW is my response, the clarity and sound is impressive. They are installing the rear speakers in the morning, I'm excited to see how the system sounds complete. I do hope the rears are a little more on the low side as the fronts are on the high side.

The other difference I noticed is that when it was all stock speakers with the aftermarket amp putting it up to # 9 on the volume gauge was plenty, #12 being blasting, now with the aftermarket front speakers #15 is plenty and #19 is blasting. Why the difference? They both have the same amp installed.

Last edited by Rckstrgrl21; 02-01-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE