Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2010 Clubman S audio upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 01:23 AM
MiniRza
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Clubman S audio upgrade questions

So, I am new to Mini, and I am not an audio guy at all. I have always been happy with stock stereo in my previous VW cars. So, with that being said, I am not looking to do huge upgrades. I am simply looking to create a good sounding stock sound with bass enhancements.

After reading some of the threads in this forum, I have come to the conclusion that I think I am after upgrading to 6x9 sub woofers to replace the rear stock speakers, and some form of a small amp to power that.

My questions are, should I do the channel swap from front to rear before upgrading and installing the new parts?

Does anyone have any advise on brands for the 6x9 sub woofer and small amp to use to make create a simple nice sounding stereo sound?

Any advise on what specs for the speakers and sub I should look at purchasing that will work with the stock stereo since I do not plan on changing that out?

As I said, I have no audio experience so my knowledge is void in this area of expertise.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you guys may be able to provide.

Last edited by MiniRza; 12-11-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:33 PM
MiniRza
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone?

Old 12-22-2014, 08:54 AM
jeangtd
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im on the same boat, a whole gallon of downy got spilled in the trunk of my R56 and i have to take it all out to get the laundromat smell out of the car, while im at it I would like to put in new speakers and an AMP. im still researching what will fit perfeclly. do you think its a good idea to add a 4 channel amp so we could upgrade front speaker eventually, i mean as long as we are installing an amp why no put in a 4 chanel apm.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:56 AM
BazV
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The good thing about the Clubman is space, you can install a lot or just a little as you want. I went for the lot option

The channel swap is the first thing you should try, it does improve the bass from the rear speakers but drags the sound from behind you rather than from in front.

If you can get the car connected to a computer with the bmw software, there is a way to delimit the 100hz limit to the rear speakers, now that will work very well.

Personally, I would go for something better than whats already installed. What stereo do you have in there at the moment? How many speakers?

I would suggest:

A 4 channel amp - channels 1+2 can power the front speakers, channels 3+4 can be bridged to run the sub(s). Perhaps choose an amp with high level input so you can use the speaker feed from the stock head unit.

A set of 6.5" component speakers (6.5" mids and tweeters)

6x9 subs for the rear quarter panels - if you can get a set of Genesis 6x9 subs they would be ideal as they were designed with the mini in mind and perform extremely well, but rare to find. Or an alternative set of 6x9 subs that can play low. If you do fit these into the rear quarter panels then I would also recommend that you sound deaden the panels to stop vibrations.

Or a single 10" sub in a sealed enclosure securely fitted into the boot area.

It will sound a LOT better than the stock system.

Hope this helps.