Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Ideal road trip setup?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:41 PM
schr5530
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideal road trip setup?

I think I'm looking to upgrade my r53's. Stereo setup for upcoming holiday long haul road trips
Presently it's all factory. For long hauls I have my iPad connected to the stereo through the iPod adapter for podcasts. I have my android phone charging in the cigarette lighter sitting in the upper cup holder navigating. On a daily basis I can't connect my phone so it's just FM... (Not screwing with fm transmitters)
It pisses me off that the iPod adapter no longer charges new post ?07? Apple devices. (Apple's fault not BMW)

The simple solution would be to swap out the iPod adapter for the aux input and make the phone do everything.

The stock non-hk system is adequate for my ear but I wouldn't mind a stereo with aux in and Bluetooth. (Won't give up the steering control so I'd need one of the adapters)

I love the idea of the double din console nav system mod but don't think I have the time to mess with that. The few posts I've seen look like a ton of work to get something that doesn't look hacked...

So should I swap out ipad for an aux input or is there a nice stereo that will make my life on the road better?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:03 PM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been extremely pleased with my Pioneer DEH-80PRS.

It works great with Pandora and Spotify even though its labeled for Pandora.

And the BT handsfree phone works well too and with my iPhone 5s.

I really like the fact that it can also accept a SD card. I had a 32GB card in there with about 600-700 songs as my non-signal backup. Yeah, we get lots of dead zones with both cell and radio signals in Alaska and Sirius is not even serious about Alaska.

I use a ProClip mount on the RH post and run the lightning cable from the rear USB to the front for charging and playing music directly from the iPhone. It will play either connected or via BT.

For navigation - it's hands down the Garmin nüvi 3597LMTHD all the way. Such a great device. It's been used in Canada, US and Mexico and has never skipped a beat. And the lifetime updates and Lane Assist is a nice feature too. And besides turning it on by hand - its all voice control. Oh! And the Smartphone Link is cool because you can get real weather data and map overlay on the Nuvi fed from your smartphone.

Last edited by bjcarter2; 11-04-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:07 AM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schr5530
I think I'm looking to upgrade my r53's. Stereo setup for upcoming holiday long haul road trips
Presently it's all factory. For long hauls I have my iPad connected to the stereo through the iPod adapter for podcasts. I have my android phone charging in the cigarette lighter sitting in the upper cup holder navigating. On a daily basis I can't connect my phone so it's just FM... (Not screwing with fm transmitters)
It pisses me off that the iPod adapter no longer charges new post ?07? Apple devices. (Apple's fault not BMW)

The simple solution would be to swap out the iPod adapter for the aux input and make the phone do everything.

The stock non-hk system is adequate for my ear but I wouldn't mind a stereo with aux in and Bluetooth. (Won't give up the steering control so I'd need one of the adapters)

I love the idea of the double din console nav system mod but don't think I have the time to mess with that. The few posts I've seen look like a ton of work to get something that doesn't look hacked...

So should I swap out ipad for an aux input or is there a nice stereo that will make my life on the road better?

I just installed a new JVC head unit. I was using almost your identical setup before. I had an old iPod (so that it could still charge) in the glove box with the 5 playlists you can toggle through via the head unit. I did the same thing with my phone & the cupholder.

I just installed the new head unit with steering wheel control adapter. The receiver has bluetooth for music streaming and calls. I installed the microphone in the stock location in the headliner. The display colors can be adjusted, so I was able to match the stock amber.

I also ordered the Cravenspeed mount for the phone so that I can have it better located for GPS purposes. That has yet to deliver and be installed.

Anyway, I think that setup is a lot better, if more work, than anything else. It's great to feel like I have full iPod/handsfree integration. The receiver even has Siri Eyes-Free, so I can voice control calling, music playback, etc.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 PM
schr5530
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jnrjr79
Just curious Does the PAC SWI-RC make use of the steering wheel phone buttons. I've always wanted them to do something... Anything!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:23 PM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
Jnrjr79
Just curious Does the PAC SWI-RC make use of the steering wheel phone buttons. I've always wanted them to do something... Anything!
Man, I was really hoping it would, but as soon as I read the instructions, I noted it indicated those buttons are "not programmable." So, I just have the same old volume and track buttons. At least I now have voice command to make calls!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:46 AM
schreiber117
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jnrjr79
It does not... but... The other 5 buttons can be programmed however you'd like. So if a phone button is important, you can use any other button for it.

Just think of it as... you have 5 buttons, assign them however you'd like.