Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Any Reason Beyond Stock Appearance to Avoid Upgrading Headunit? - Bluetooth Desired

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:57 AM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Reason Beyond Stock Appearance to Avoid Upgrading Headunit? - Bluetooth Desired

I have a 2006 MCS with the stock stereo system - no HK, no nav. I have the steering wheel audio and phone controls, but do not have the bluetooth option. I have the original iPod connector which gives you some limited iPod functionality. I have been thinking of upgrading because I would like the following:

1) Ability to stream music via Bluetooth
2) Bluetooth hands-free calling
3) Ideally - the ability to mount my phone within view so I can use it for navigation

I have an old iPod with the 30-pin connector I currently use with the iPod interface, but it's annoying having to come up with new playlists every time I take a road trip. It would be nice to be able to use my iPhone 6. Using an adapter cable would mean no charging and that the phone would be out of reach for use for navigation, as the iPod cord is in the glovebox.

I have read up quite a bit on the Dice/Audiovox Mediabridge. Some people seem to love it, while others say audio quality and reliability are lacking. My question is whether there is some reason to use that product rather than just simply replace the headunit, beyond the aesthetic preference of the stock system. I agree aftermarket headunits look blingier than I would like, but it probably wouldn't dissuade me from doing that anyway.

The headunit I have been looking at is this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X670...S.html?tp=5684

It has Siri eyes-free, bluetooth streaming/calling with an external microphone, and an adapter can be employed to make sure my steering wheel controls still work.

Is there any reason to consider a Mediabridge (or other product) over simply replacing the headunit? I've replaced stereos before and am not too daunted by the project. It seems like I'd be getting more bang for my buck just replacing the headunit than trying to install a Mediabridge-type device. I've also looked at Tune2Air, but that really only gives me the audio streaming, and at $89 on Amazon, is only $40 cheaper than just buying the headunit.

I'd appreciate any input!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
im also interested in the same thing, although i have the HK system

Old 10-15-2014, 06:21 PM
SquamishDroc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jnrjr79
I have a 2006 MCS with the stock stereo system - no HK, no nav. I have the steering wheel audio and phone controls, but do not have the bluetooth option. I have the original iPod connector which gives you some limited iPod functionality. I have been thinking of upgrading because I would like the following:

1) Ability to stream music via Bluetooth
2) Bluetooth hands-free calling
3) Ideally - the ability to mount my phone within view so I can use it for navigation

I have an old iPod with the 30-pin connector I currently use with the iPod interface, but it's annoying having to come up with new playlists every time I take a road trip. It would be nice to be able to use my iPhone 6. Using an adapter cable would mean no charging and that the phone would be out of reach for use for navigation, as the iPod cord is in the glovebox.

I have read up quite a bit on the Dice/Audiovox Mediabridge. Some people seem to love it, while others say audio quality and reliability are lacking. My question is whether there is some reason to use that product rather than just simply replace the headunit, beyond the aesthetic preference of the stock system. I agree aftermarket headunits look blingier than I would like, but it probably wouldn't dissuade me from doing that anyway.

The headunit I have been looking at is this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X670...S.html?tp=5684

It has Siri eyes-free, bluetooth streaming/calling with an external microphone, and an adapter can be employed to make sure my steering wheel controls still work.

Is there any reason to consider a Mediabridge (or other product) over simply replacing the headunit? I've replaced stereos before and am not too daunted by the project. It seems like I'd be getting more bang for my buck just replacing the headunit than trying to install a Mediabridge-type device. I've also looked at Tune2Air, but that really only gives me the audio streaming, and at $89 on Amazon, is only $40 cheaper than just buying the headunit.

I'd appreciate any input!
I hear you on wanting to keep the stock head unit, it just looks like it belongs in the dash. I didn't change the deck in my BMW because it interrupts the lines of the dash, plus not all the good head units have orange illumination either.

I bought a USA Spec PA12 iPod adapter for the other car a few years ago and aside from the way the playlist thing works I have been quite happy with it. I moved it over into the Mini and haven't had any problems. I like to stick with the KISS theory when it comes to adding modules into the car.

If you wanted just iPod control I would stay with the factory unit, but because you are looking for more features I would go with the aftermarket deck with all the control features built in. For one thing its less wiring behind the dash and you don't have to worry about the mediabridge not working with the factory system in some way.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:25 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Go for it. I have an aftermarket deck and I'll never go back. Id prefer to get one with orange LED to match the gauges, I think if you go that route it'll blend in just fine.

Works with my steering wheel controls too, although the shop had to get some kind of adapter or something to make it work.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:11 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You could go with something like
this this
which plugs onto a 30 pin cable and provides a Bluetooth receiver so you can stream audio from the phone to the car, and also has a microphone so you can use it for phone calls.
This This
is another version, I got one a while ago from some daily deals site much cheaper than this. I also used to use
this this
which did the streaming but did not have a mic. I think that it would work with phone audio so you could hear your caller over the speakers, but use your phone mic to pick up your voice but I'm not positive, I have MINI Bluetooth in the car so the phone used that for calls. These are a lot cheaper than a new head unit, and may do enough for you.

Last edited by spiney; 10-16-2014 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-16-2014, 05:29 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
i was thinking of a unit just like that, my problem is i dont have a aux in port, nor do i want to tie up a charging port for the reciever =)

Old 10-16-2014, 06:23 AM
spiney
6th Gear
<<<@!1!@>>>

Aux In was a really simple addition when I had my 2003 MCS. There was a $20 cable that you could just plug into the back of the head unit (I didn't even need to remove any trim, I have long spindly fingers!) and then you mount the jack somewhere, I put mine at the back of the cubby behind the cupholders, the panel came off with one screw, i think. As for tying up a charging port, there are any number of dual USB car chargers for $10 or less.
This This
one has three ports or $12.99.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:54 AM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spiney
You could go with something like this which plugs onto a 30 pin cable and provides a Bluetooth receiver so you can stream audio from the phone to the car, and also has a microphone so you can use it for phone calls. This is another version, I got one a while ago from some daily deals site much cheaper than this. I also used to use this which did the streaming but did not have a mic. I think that it would work with phone audio so you could hear your caller over the speakers, but use your phone mic to pick up your voice but I'm not positive, I have MINI Bluetooth in the car so the phone used that for calls. These are a lot cheaper than a new head unit, and may do enough for you.
Thanks for those suggestions! That looks interesting.

Quick question - I don't have the AUX input, though I know it's pretty easily added. However, if a call comes in while listening to AM/FM rather than being on the streaming device, do you have to switch inputs over to AUX and do anything else to get the call to work wirelessly?

Re: the others that have commented on the aesthetics of the head unit, I will at least get one that is customizable to amber lights, so I'll have some degree of matching, thankfully.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:19 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Thanks for those suggestions! That looks interesting. Quick question - I don't have the AUX input, though I know it's pretty easily added. However, if a call comes in while listening to AM/FM rather than being on the streaming device, do you have to switch inputs over to AUX and do anything else to get the call to work wirelessly?
As you suspect, you would have to switch over to AUX to hear your caller. It won't do it automatically. As soon as I got AUX I stopped listening to the radio though, so it wouldn't have been a problem for me!

Old 10-17-2014, 05:57 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm in the same boat right now with the H/K and my 05 R53.

I've pre-ordered an HK enabler, and am planning on a Pioneer AVH-X7500BT (Dash Command on the DASH!!).

But I may just end up gutting the whole system and selling the old amp - after I find a decent component based front stage that will fit (suggestions welcome). Crutchfield has been an amazing help. They've recommended a Polk and Blaupunkt setup, but the Blaupunkt doesn't have the separate tweeters.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:43 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Today (Saturday 18 October 2014 only), $15

http://www.dailysteals.com/p/34052/i...Capable-?__r=1

Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 PM
R53Andrew
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up this head unit and will be installing it soon. I think the orange lighting will match pretty well

As a new Mini owner, going from BT audio in my last car to a cd wallet only lasted so long lol.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:42 AM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
So, I ended up ordering the JVC Arsenal KD-AR959BS CD receiver from Crutchfield, including an adapter for the steering wheel controls. Hopefully I will be able to install it this week. I'm really looking forward to having Bluetooth and Siri Eyes-Free. The colors are adjustable, so hopefully I can match the factory amber fairly closely.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:53 PM
schreiber117
4th Gear
So, I ended up ordering the JVC Arsenal KD-AR959BS CD receiver from Crutchfield, including an adapter for the steering wheel controls. Hopefully I will be able to install it this week. I'm really looking forward to having Bluetooth and Siri Eyes-Free. The colors are adjustable, so hopefully I can match the factory amber fairly closely.
Just bought a pioneer deck off crutchfield with the steering wheel controls too. Probably the same SW kit.

G/L, I'll be online while doing the wiring. So feel free to reach out.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:54 AM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
Well, I installed the head unit yesterday. To start with the negative, the install was a lot tougher (for me anyway) than previous head units I've installed, but I should have seen that coming. To move to the positive, this thing is awesome, and I have no idea why I waited so long to do it! The sound is much better (presumably just because of the 22 watts RMS heading to the stock speakers). The bluetooth hands-free calling works great, and on my test calls yesterday, my wife said I was coming through crystal clear. The bluetooth music streaming is seamless and sounds fantastic. I am very, very happy.

In terms of the install being difficult, the actual disassembly necessary to remove the stock head unit was a breeze. In terms of the Crutchfield instructions, they tell you to remove the four torx screws that are on either side of the vertical columns in the center stack. That was easy enough. It also tells you to unscrew the screws in the cupholders and pry up the panel where the seat heater buttons are. I found that was totally unnecessary. Just removing the vertical column screws allowed me to move them far enough out of the way to have sufficient clearance to remove the old radio and install the new one.

Pairing the wires was easy enough. Crutchfield does not include the little screw terminals for where you connect the wires, so make sure you have a pack of those around.

The steering wheel adapter was kind of a m-f-er. You have to remove the panel under the steering column and locate a wire that is red & white with yellow dots. that wire is in a tightly wrapped bundle with a bunch of other wires, so it was kind of annoying to locate it and fish it out. You then cut that wire and attach the wire for the steering wheel adapter on the steering wheel side of it. Anyway, this bit of extra work was more of a challenge, but totally doable. The instructions themselves weren't the best in terms of detail, but calling Crutchfield's customer service got me on the right path immediately. (They were super helpful).

Programming the steering wheel adapter was a bit awkward and took me several attempts, but it's working well now.

I decided to route the bluetooth microphone up in the headliner where it would have been located if I had the stock bluetooth option. It was a bit difficult for me to get the wire routed down to the front of the headliner by the windshield, over to the pillar, down toward the knee panel, and then back to the stereo, but I got it there. I love the stock appearance now, and apparently that location is working well.

The last part that was tough, which I didn't see coming, is that with the adapter and new wiring harnesses, there was very little depth available to actually put the new head unit all the way into place. I had to spend a lot of time with my hand wrapped around the back of that area trying to gently move all those items out of the way. It did eventually work fine.

Also, don't make the mistake I did - I declined at first to hook up the power antenna wiring, thinking I didn't need it as the MINI has a fixed antenna. It turns out the AM antenna on the head unit needs that connection, so after I thought I was all done, I had to get the head unit unmounted again and make that connection.

All in all, I'm really happy. I have all the functionality I was looking for, and I was even able to match up the amber lighting so that the appearance is pretty darn great.

Good luck with your install!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:43 AM
schreiber117
4th Gear
Well, I installed the head unit yesterday.

Good luck with your install!
Congrats. Having done one MINI install before, I found taking the panels apart, etc to be straight forward. It too me WAY TOO LONG to get the kick panel under the steering wheel back on. For some reason it just wouldn't line up. I was just laughing at myself.

The red-white with yellow dots wire was interesting for me as well. But once I pulled apart the panel, it wasn't too bad. Running the wire was cake (make sure it's clear of the moving/spinning steering column), and so that was straight forward.

I found the instructions in the SWI kit to suck, but if you went to their site, the instructions rocked. I had to try three times to get it programmed correctly, but that was my own fault. I was playing with the decision of "present +/-" for the left side controls, or "track +/-," and decided on track.

I also ran an aux cable and USB from the rear of the deck into the glove box.

The deck I chose was shallow, no CD player, so it only has about half the depth of a standard deck, so I didn't have any trouble getting things back in place, but I can see where one might.

Congrats, and enjoy motoring on, now with better sound system!!

Old 11-06-2014, 11:59 AM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schreiber117
Congrats. Having done one MINI install before, I found taking the panels apart, etc to be straight forward. It too me WAY TOO LONG to get the kick panel under the steering wheel back on. For some reason it just wouldn't line up. I was just laughing at myself.

The red-white with yellow dots wire was interesting for me as well. But once I pulled apart the panel, it wasn't too bad. Running the wire was cake (make sure it's clear of the moving/spinning steering column), and so that was straight forward.

I found the instructions in the SWI kit to suck, but if you went to their site, the instructions rocked. I had to try three times to get it programmed correctly, but that was my own fault. I was playing with the decision of "present +/-" for the left side controls, or "track +/-," and decided on track.

I also ran an aux cable and USB from the rear of the deck into the glove box.

The deck I chose was shallow, no CD player, so it only has about half the depth of a standard deck, so I didn't have any trouble getting things back in place, but I can see where one might.

Congrats, and enjoy motoring on, now with better sound system!!

I actually thought about buying one of those no-CD head units (because I don't really use the CD player with any frequency). As I was installing last night, I was sure wishing I had!