Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio What are my Audio Options

Old 10-13-2014, 12:47 PM
solientious
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are my Audio Options

Hi Guy/Gals,

Love the Car, but hate the Head Unit. I'm sort of at a loss trying to figure out just how I can go about adding functionality to my 2008 Mini Cooper HiFi Stereo. I do not have the USB connection or the BT connection. Can I really not replace the Stereo? Or am I stuck with a Parrot MKI 9200 or Grom USB w/ BT connector.

I picked the car used and whoever owned it before only opted to have the Aux connection; which sound horrible connected to my Android Phone or my repurposed IPhone 4.

Anyways, an help would be great

Thanks

Old 10-13-2014, 12:51 PM
solientious
Neutral
I've seen aftermarket from a couple places like ZESTECH.com, but it poses another set of problem such as trying to determine if it would work in my car and the risk of misjudging KPH/MPH. Has anybody swapped out the Head Unit with a simular product and had any luck?

Last edited by solientious; 10-14-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:54 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can always add the usb ipod stuff from Mini. You can probably upgrade the stereo with factour components.

Buy yes, you can't get rid of the head unit. (It's actually not bad, it's the amp and speakers.)

Old 10-23-2014, 07:25 AM
CornerCarver
1st Gear
I had the same problem as you, I ended up purchasing a Bluetooth-to-Aux adapter at bestbuy for less than $20. I purchased some velcro and attached the adapter under the aux input. The adapter has a battery when i'm going on car trips i'll charge it in the begining and later charge my iphone.

Here is a link to one similar I purchased in Bestbuy's store.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gogroove...=buyingOptions

Old 10-23-2014, 08:55 AM
solientious
Neutral
I'm actually curious; what would happen if I went for the Aftermarket stereo? What would I lose? Other than the Diagnosing Code.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
You mention functionality, but it sounds like you are mostly unhappy with the sound. What specifically are you aiming to improve? Do you want a specific feature, like Bluetooth connectivity, or is it the sound quality that is your main concern?

Old 10-26-2014, 08:18 AM
TheGreatJake
Neutral
I recently purchased my '10 Mini cooper. It bugs me to no ends that I can not plug my iphone in with just any usb cable.

I personally would love to be able to connect my iphone without buying a 90 dollar cable. You can buy a pretty decent aftermarket radio for that. I realize with harness's and what have you for the radio it would be more over all.

Maybe in a year or two I will set aside some money and gut the speakers and amp and redo it all with a sub included. But for now I'd settle for the functionality of plugging in my iphone.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:11 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Jake, I'd be talking to the place you bought it. The ipod adaptor should have come with the car.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:46 AM
TheGreatJake
Neutral
I would, but it was a Used Honda dealership that I picked it up at. They probably didnt get it from the previous owner. I did get the OEM floor mats! haha

Old 10-26-2014, 12:23 PM
s0n1c
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheGreatJake
I would, but it was a Used Honda dealership that I picked it up at. They probably didnt get it from the previous owner. I did get the OEM floor mats! haha
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-adapter.html

I see that marketplace posting is a couple months old, but the lack of replies may indicate that the user still has those cables. I'd PM them if I were you. $10 for the Y-Cable seems pretty good.....

Otherwise, I'd scour the marketplace or hit amazon. OEM is nice (just so you know it works) but it sounds like you're seeking functionality.

I've been considering replacing the factory head unit, and it seems like the only thing you really lose is the OBC controls through the dashboard and the LCD display on the bottom of the speedometer.

Having said that, the dash isn't very big. By putting a double-din unit in the dash, you'd end up shifting your HVAC and switches down a few inches for it all to fit. It also is a matter of personal opinion if it looks good or not.

I've also seen people post about putting a radio in the secret compartment, but that's not easy to reach if you're driving.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:15 PM
TheGreatJake
Neutral
PM sent! Thanks for that heads up.

Secret compartment?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:37 PM
s0n1c
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheGreatJake
PM sent! Thanks for that heads up.

Secret compartment?
Yeah, above the glove box. Press in on the trim between the vents, it should flip open.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:43 PM
doseddies
1st Gear
hk adapter

look it up. Mike's Mini in England makes them. It lets you replace the head unit.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:11 PM
TheGreatJake
Neutral
Originally Posted by s0n1c
Yeah, above the glove box. Press in on the trim between the vents, it should flip open.
WHAA!??? THAT IS SO COOL! I've just been hiding a lil bit of cash in the dash under the steering wheel but everyone does that. This is so much better!