Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iOS 8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:57 AM
nfo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iOS 8?

Any one try iOS 8 with their 2nd gen mini & mini connected? I haven't done any testing yet, but am sure someone here has...

Old 09-15-2014, 11:05 AM
MidnightJCW
1st Gear
I have the iOS8 GM installed and all is well. No issues whatsoever. Thankfully Mini Connected didn't break this time around. When iOS7 came out it broke the app switcher, and it was broken until just a few months ago.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:11 AM
Eriamjh
2nd Gear
My iPhone6+ and iOS8.0.2 do not talk to my 2011 Clubbie. I don't have the fancy mini Connected system, just the standard fancy radio for playing iPod music through the USB cable.

The iP6+ doesn't charge, either. I have the factory dock cable and an official Apple Dock to Lightning adapter.

No go.

My iPhone5 works with same setup with iOS7, but I haven't tried it with iOS8, yet.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Diablo243
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still have my iPhone 5 (8.0.2) as I wait for my 6+ to arrive, I have a 2013 Clubman with Nav and Connected, Factory 30 PIN MINI cable, the proper 30 PIN to lightning adapter and while I can change and play music through it, the Connected app does not work and trying to navigate music that is on the phone is wonky at best. I really can't justify the $90 friggin MINI lightning cable but seriously this is a joke how hit or miss that app and system has been.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Eriamjh
2nd Gear
I found my iPhone 6+ charging problem. The adapter wasn't plugged in all the way because of my phone case.

The music playback and controls seem to work, now. (2011 club is, standard radio). The Bluetooth won't para. I think this is a problem with iOS8 as I have read that pairing with Bluetooth in cars is a problem with the iPhone 6+ in many BMW products.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:01 PM
jamesb
1st Gear
iPhone 6 problem

I just got around to pairing my iPhone 6 to my 09 MCS (non nav) on monday. it paired and worked the first day. Then Wed or Thurs I got a call and it rang in but couldn't answer it. Turned out it was answered by the mini but no audio was working on mini. then I noticed it is Paired and i can make calls from the screen but still no audio and BT antenna icon is not showing up. Any suggestions. have re-Paired multiple times.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:38 PM
twriter
2nd Gear
iOS 8(.0.2) seems to have borked control

I have a Coupe with the Y-cable. I upgraded to iOS 8(.0.2) on mu iPhone 5 this weekend, and while I can still hear sound (I have the Y cable connected to a 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter, and that mounted to a ProClip adapter), it seems I can no longer actually control the iPhone with the head unit or the steering wheel controls.

The head unit does recognize the iPhone, and if the iPhone is playing something (controlled on the phone itself), the head unit will display data. But the head unit will not start playing any music when, for example, a playlist is selected. Trying to advance to the next track will not work either, with both the head unit and steering wheel controls.

What's interesting is that the head unit can "see" the playlists and even select one, but can't start playback.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:14 AM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
IOS 8.1 will hopefully fix the problems. http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...ng-with-ios-81

Old 10-08-2014, 05:43 AM
eduardolago
1st Gear
Originally Posted by twriter
I have a Coupe with the Y-cable. I upgraded to iOS 8(.0.2) on mu iPhone 5 this weekend, and while I can still hear sound (I have the Y cable connected to a 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter, and that mounted to a ProClip adapter), it seems I can no longer actually control the iPhone with the head unit or the steering wheel controls.

The head unit does recognize the iPhone, and if the iPhone is playing something (controlled on the phone itself), the head unit will display data. But the head unit will not start playing any music when, for example, a playlist is selected. Trying to advance to the next track will not work either, with both the head unit and steering wheel controls.

What's interesting is that the head unit can "see" the playlists and even select one, but can't start playback.

I'm having the exact same problem as you. iOS 8.0.2

Hopefully it will be better in iOS 8.1.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Houstonbuckeye
1st Gear
I use the Y connector and the 30 pin to lightning adaptor to connect my iPhone 5. The first two times that I connected it, the head unit recognized it as an iPod and I was able to play Pandora through the stereo with titles displayed on the head unit display.
Now when I connect the phone in the same manner, the phone is not recognized and the head unit displays only aux and USB as connection options. Upon plugging in the phone an error message appears stating, unrecognized device.
What can I do to enable connecting my iPhone 5 so I can play Pandora through the stereo?

Old 10-10-2014, 11:00 PM
ellawoof
Neutral
Connectivity and Y adapter

I have a 2015 Countryman S and an iPhone 6 Plus updated iOS 8.02.

1. Can someone verify whether my interpretation below is correct?

If I'm reading the compatibility stuff right on Mini's Web site, a lot of the Connectivity stuff isn't supported? I think it says I won't be able to get Facebook, Twitter and some other stuff. And as far as the Plug-In, if I heard the video on the Web site right, I'll need an AV Y adapter to get the screen to look like it does on the iPhone as far as music goes -- i.e. songs with the album covers and same kind of search/scrolling as on the iPhone -- and not the Y adapter that comes with the car, which is just audio?

2. Does anyone know where to get an A/V Y adapter for Mini? I looked on the Mini Web site and various other sites. Came up empty on Mini site. Didn't see anything on others that looked appropriate. If I'm reading the Mini info. correctly, then is it a moot point to get an AV adapter?

Thank you.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:32 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine is mostly OK with my iPhone 6. I have the 30 pin Y-Cable that came with the car, plus the Apple 30-pin to Lightning cable adapter (about 9" long). This gets me enough length to put the phone on my Proclip mount. I actually got the blazing white Apple cable heat-shrink wrapped in black and it's now a good match for the Y-cable and the interior.

I don't have Connected, but the other stuff usually works. I see track names on the radio display for Podcasts, Google Play Music and the iPod app. Sometimes it gets stuck showing "Loading....", which some of the time you can get out of by hitting the "back" arrow on the far left button and selecting iPod again. I got the phone to pair with Bluetooth too. Charging seems marginal though, if I use the Podcast app and Google Maps navigation with a normal auto-brightness screen then it sometimes doesn't seem to get enough charge to keep up with usage and the battery slowly drains down. Setting a lower screen brightness helped. The drain is very slow though, only npoticeable on trips of two hours or more. Whenever I plug into the car and select iPod it starts playing the iPod app, which is a bit irritating. Also, when you disconnect the phone it switches back to radio, which is even more irritating.

Overall though it works pretty well. One odd thing though, I couldn't find a Pause control on the steering wheel or on the dash, so if you want to stop the music while you pay tolls or whatever you have to either use the phone control or turn th evolume down/radio off. Not a problem with music, but it's annoying if you're listening to audio books or podcasts and don't want to miss anything. I usually have Waze on the screen all the time when driving, so there's a bit of fumbling about every time. You can slide the overlay up from the bottom of the iPhone screen and pause there, but half the time I miss and get a Waze route selector or something instead. (I prefer the Android active notification for this that you slide down from the top, by the way).